Orthographic critique about an arxiv paper

In summary, the conversation discusses the posting and acceptance process for papers on arxiv, with one person expressing confusion about the lack of review process and concerns about the quality of some papers. The other person clarifies that there is no review process and that anyone can post on arxiv, leading to the possibility of low-quality papers being shared on the platform. The original speaker thanks the other for this information.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I didn't know where to post this question, so I'm sorry if I did it in the wrong section.
I've fell over the following paper : http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/0907/0907.2790.pdf.
I don't know if it's just me, or the paper has plenty of orthographic errors and some incomprehensible sentences. (English is not my mother tongue.) If it' not just me, then how do this paper came to be posted and accepted on arxiv? Maybe it should have been better in Russian... what do you think/say?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no review process for the Arxiv. Papers get posted, not "accepted". All sorts of rubbish can be - and is - posted there.

Vanadium 50 said:
There is no review process for the Arxiv. Papers get posted, not "accepted". All sorts of rubbish can be - and is - posted there.

I wasn't aware of this. This is good to know since I'm a sophomore and I plan on consulting arxiv papers in a near future.
Thanks Vanadium.

1. What is an orthographic critique?

An orthographic critique is an evaluation of a written work, such as a research paper, with a focus on the correct use of spelling, grammar, punctuation, and formatting. It is an important aspect of scientific writing as it ensures clarity and accuracy in communication.

2. Why is an orthographic critique important for an arxiv paper?

An arxiv paper is a pre-print version of a scientific paper that has not yet undergone peer review. As such, it is important for the paper to be as error-free as possible to ensure that the research is presented accurately and professionally. An orthographic critique helps to achieve this by identifying and correcting any spelling or grammar errors.

3. Who performs an orthographic critique on an arxiv paper?

An orthographic critique can be performed by the author of the paper themselves, a colleague or co-author, or a professional proofreader. It is important for the person performing the critique to have a strong understanding of the language and a keen eye for detail.

4. Can an orthographic critique also include feedback on the content of the paper?

No, an orthographic critique is focused solely on the technical aspects of writing, such as spelling, grammar, and formatting. Any feedback on the content of the paper should be left to peer reviewers or colleagues who are experts in the field.

5. How can I ensure that my arxiv paper receives a thorough orthographic critique?

The best way to ensure a thorough orthographic critique is to have multiple people review the paper. This can include the author themselves, colleagues or co-authors, and a professional proofreader. It is also helpful to provide clear guidelines or instructions for the critique, such as a checklist of common errors to look out for.