Mechatronics project suggestions please

In summary, a mechatronic engineering student is seeking suggestions for their 3rd year project. They are interested in robotics and have been recommended to look into EE Times' coverage of robotics. They are currently working on designing and programming an ROV using labview and an xbox controller as the UI. They are open to suggestions for a project and are willing to put in the necessary hours for its completion.
distinctions
I'm a mechatronic engineer student and want some suggestions please for my 3rd year projects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

distinctions said:
I'm a mechatronic engineer student and want some suggestions please for my 3rd year projects.

Welcome to the PF. Since mechatronics involves many disciplines, it would seem like robotics or something similar might be a good area:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

What areas of mechatronics interest you? EE Times actually has a big spread on robotics in its current issue:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mechatronics

in designing of robot

distinctions said:
in designing of robot

What kind of robot? What will it be able to do? What are your goals, and how many hours do you plan to put into the project?

I am currently working on my bachelor thesis in mechatronics. We are making an rov and will be designing, constructing and programming it using labview. The plan is to use an xbox controller as the UI.

If you can get a assignment from an engineering firm you are off to a good start (on your carrier).

If you are free to do what ever you like, within the course, I'd suggest you do something fun :)

1. What is mechatronics?

Mechatronics is a field that combines principles from mechanical engineering, electronics, and computer science to design and create smart and automated systems. These systems often involve mechanical components, sensors, actuators, and computer control to achieve a desired function or movement.

2. What are some examples of mechatronics projects?

Some examples of mechatronics projects include self-driving cars, robotic arms, automated assembly lines, drone technology, and smart home systems.

3. What are some important considerations when choosing a mechatronics project?

When choosing a mechatronics project, it is important to consider the complexity and feasibility of the project, the required resources and materials, the intended application or purpose, and the potential impact or benefits of the project.

4. How can I come up with a unique mechatronics project idea?

To come up with a unique mechatronics project idea, you can start by identifying a problem or need in a specific industry or field. Then, think about how mechatronics can be used to address this problem or need. You can also research existing mechatronics projects and try to improve or expand upon them.

5. What skills are needed to work on a mechatronics project?

To work on a mechatronics project, one should have a strong understanding of mechanical principles, electronic components and circuits, computer programming, and control systems. Good problem-solving and critical thinking skills are also important for troubleshooting and improving the project. Collaboration and communication skills are also beneficial for working on a team.