What do 'nerdy' guys like in girls?

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about what qualities nerdy boys like in girls. The group discusses the challenges of dating nerdy guys who are often shy and give mixed signals. Some suggest that nerdy guys may appreciate a direct approach, while others mention qualities such as intelligence, ambition, and being an atheist as attractive to nerdy guys. The conversation also touches on the importance of physical appearance and having a good sense of humor. Overall, the group agrees that nerdy guys have high standards and are looking for someone who is intelligent, accomplished, and kind.
Jack21222 said:
Propagate? Like a wave?

mad props.

Physics news on Phys.org
AUK 1138 said:
mad props.
Props that make the waves?

I guess he has a point though. People who can't feel human emotion are fairly uninhibited in what they will or will not do.

Last edited:
It's funny that you'd pick the word waves when talking propagation because it's such a physicsey thing to do, if you were all biologists you'd be saying "like genes" instead of "like waves" seeing as it's biology parlance to say that "genes propagate" :tongue2:

Oh, and if you ever find a human being that does not feel human emotion send them my way,
I've been looking for a way to win a nobel prize for discovering something that has never existed or ever been found before :biggrin:

/exits quietly...

I was being sarcastic earlier, but really, love is just a meaningless emotion. emotions can feel good or bad, but after whatever caused the emotion is no longer present in your life, it is the knowledge you gained from them that matters. They are therefore only tools to learning. It's not hard to make the argument that an artist's masterpiece carries more significance than the tools from which it came to form. One can infer that this same argument applies to life, and as such, emotions carry no true meaning.

Normally, I don’t feel comfortable citing my preferences (my family doesn’t even know). But since it is now nearly 5 o’clock in the morning--and I am practically an insomniac anyway—I think I should like at least to describe the characteristics, of she whom I belonged to (and forever will, I pray).

She was way smarter than me; positively gleeful while at work; very humorous (laughed while reading the newspaper even); and, was religiously inclined (though, not a loony either).

She was fairly neat and organized too (though, again, not an obsessive neat-freak). Really, she was just very self-reliant about everything. I preferred always to be her helper, in any way she’d allow it—and which, I regret, was not often enough—but I admired her so, nevertheless. What an able person she was.

Truly, and in all ways I can think of: the woman that I belonged to, was everything I could ever aspire be myself. And she was very good, all of the time, to everybody. She’d TALK—a lot—to anyone; total strangers even, at length. And I absolutely adored her voice. Yet oddly enough: when we were alone together, I remember she would speak very softly, and use fewer, if any words. Really, she more sort-of glanced at me a lot, in order to convey herself.

I’m not one for speaking much either (I prefer to write); but she had a beautiful speaking voice—something, maybe, between a Kathleen Turner, and a Mackenzie Phillips. It was a deep, strong, but still distinctly feminine voice. I liked to listen to her sing at mass, but she was very self-conscious (and would sing low) because of the women she lived with. Frankly: she had a sexier voice than any of them (but again, wasn’t overt in any respect about it either).

She liked to make waffles, and took a lot of pride in them, and in whatever she was up to cooking. Originally, my love came from Kentucky; and as you might expect of a southern female, was a superb cook. She made me ribs once, to absolutely die for.

I worked with her (that’s how we met), and I learned a lot from her. I think that’s very important in a relationship too—to be able to learn from someone, and share your talents with. Though I don’t honestly believe: that there was a darn thing ever that I knew, that I could have ever taught her; I still felt somehow that she appreciated my sensibilities too; and also the many dumb things that I made for her over the years.

She was a genius really, and was perfectly confident in herself, as far as academic and domestic things were concerned (like sewing for example—she made her own clothes too!). Yet somehow—and even despite how great she was—she lacked confidence in the sort of things that are maybe more artistically inclined. I truly feel however: that if she ever felt like sitting down and actually painting a portrait or landscape, she would have executed it far better than me (and supposedly, I was the artistic one); and yet, she never attempted to for some reason. It’s one of those things I had intentions of instigating in her, one day. She needed a shove, I thought.

She was a sports fan—liked football—and even though I’m not much of an athlete myself (nor do I follow much), I respected that about her immensely. It honestly made me want to learn how to play; I always figured that she liked the football player type (though she never said).

Physically speaking: she was tall (about 5’10”) and very broad-hipped. She was bosomy also, but narrow in the shoulders (which sloped nicely), and her hips were much bigger than average. Such that: even the most simple, no frills, mono-chromatic house dress, looked particularly lovely on her. She had a feminine neck; nice long arms, which were soft at the top; lovely hands; and a big toothy grin (which gave her trouble sometimes, but I still thought was so very cute).

She had beautiful, crooked, natural teeth. And when she smiled, she smiled big; just like a little kid. She was 55. And not gray, but silver-haired; and had beautiful brown eyes.

SHE NEVER WORE MAKE-UP, or painted her fingernails; and she (believe it or not) always wore a dress, when I knew her. Not an extravagant or revealing thing, mind you; but rather, something she literally made on her own (with a length, a little below the knee). Truly, she was one the only one of her kind.

Overall, I would say that she was pleasantly plump. AND, this is the ultimate: she had the absolute softest cheek I have ever kissed. From a little boy, I remember hearing about how women have softer skin than men; but I never understood what that meant exactly, until one day, I finally kissed her. No lie: she was like kissing a warm buttermilk pancake, lovingly crafted by GOD.

There will never be another like her. Her name was Jayne Goebel. And if she had finally agreed to marry me, before she died, I would have happily become Francis Goebel instead of she Jayne Ziegler. It’s the name I want for myself even now., because I know that I belonged to her.

Nerds, I suppose then, maybe just need to belong to a woman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, FZ! Sounds like quite a woman.

I'm sorry for your loss. :frown: May she rest in peace.

Astronuc said:
Wow, FZ! Sounds like quite a woman.

I'm sorry for your loss. :frown: May she rest in peace.

I always appreciate that, Astro. Thank-you, sincerely.

Topher925 said:
I am a nerdy guy who is 23 and in college. I have 3 qualities that I look for in a girl.

1. Intelligents
2. Ambition
3. Atheist

haha! now you've met me! haha!

no, seriously - I've found that too! scientist guys tend to want girls to be atheists! well it makes sense! We are scientists! we believe what is proven!
yes, not strongly religious is a big plus when it comes to dating science guys!

Francis, that's so sweet! probably the nicest thing about love that I've seen! See, I think there's a good example of what love should be like (for all you non-believers/woman haters!)
love might not be so important in the grand scheme of things, but to each individual, I think it is the most beautiful and amazing thing we can experience :)

Char. Limit said:
Sex is just a meaningless physical sensation...

sex is not meaningless! none of us, in fact, none of the sexually-reproducing creatures would be here if it wasnt for sex! WE NEED SEX TO SURVIVE!

nucleargirl said:
WE NEED SEX TO SURVIVE!
Do you think that could work as a pickup line? It is necessary to keep the species going. Unless we suddenly start reproducing asexually.

Lancelot59 said:
Do you think that could work as a pickup line? It is necessary to keep the species going. Unless we suddenly start reproducing asexually.

I occasionally use the "What if I were the last man on earth" line though I seem to get an inordinately small percentage of positive replies. I can only guess that women are not as concerned with the proliferation of the species as men.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I occasionally use the "What if I were the last man on earth" line though I seem to get an inordinately small percentage of positive replies. I can only guess that women are not as concerned with the proliferation of the species as men.

Some weeks ago young lady hinted me she would like to have a baby with me. Needless to say, I've run away, and never returned any of her calls :P Too bad, I liked her but this really pushed me way. I guess some things are better left untold :P

DanP said:
Some weeks ago young lady hinted me she would like to have a baby with me. Needless to say, I've run away, and never returned any of her calls :P Too bad, I liked her but this really pushed me way. I guess some things are better left untold :P

I concur...having someone just walk up and say they want to have a baby with you is a bit of a turn off. I think this is mostly because people see kids as one of the possible downsides to having sex.

DanP you should've asked her if you could practice first

cronxeh said:

haha! that's funny :p

cronxeh said:

Im quite sure she wouldn't have minded the practice. But I did minded. The point is, you just don't say something like this when you seen someone a couple of times. I decided to bail, and taking some "practice sessions" after this decision would not have been fair to her, since my mind was set.

I was really into this one guy -- he was cute, tall, quiet (except when he talked to me and his other friends,) and intelligent. He had book smarts and focused more on facts while I questioned ideas and was all about theories. I still really like him. I had one of my friends ask him if he thought I was cute and if he liked me (I mean, I thought I'd made it obvious that I liked him and I was curious when he would start talking to me more and more without asking me if I wanted to do anything.) He answered yes to both. About 2 or 3 weeks later, I told him to call me so we could talk. I'd given him my number beforehand. He did and we talked, and he was SHOCKED to find out that I liked him. I still can't believe it.

"Nerdy" guys are totally my type. I'm not looking for a guy who's always romantic and this and that. I've dated guys like that and they bored me. I'd much rather be with someone who watches the same movies and listens to the same music as I do. I want someone who challenges me without going over the top, and is honest about the things they like and don't like.

I guess I just need to be straightforward about what I want. I don't know how else I'll go out with one.

nucleargirl said:
Francis, that's so sweet! probably the nicest thing about love that I've seen! See, I think there's a good example of what love should be like (for all you non-believers/woman haters!)
love might not be so important in the grand scheme of things, but to each individual, I think it is the most beautiful and amazing thing we can experience :)

That's very kind of you, thank-you. :)

FrancisZ said:
That's very kind of you, thank-you. :)

wow bro you're story's just amazing. Sounds like anything this girl would do you appreciated and found attractive even the tiniest things that she took to be embarrassing was not to you. Wow. Did she also exhibit this same level of interest in you and your little things that you did?

Edin_Dzeko said:
wow bro you're story's just amazing. Sounds like anything this girl would do you appreciated and found attractive even the tiniest things that she took to be embarrassing was not to you. Wow. Did she also exhibit this same level of interest in you and your little things that you did?

She was the reason I got more serious about science and math.

I think she liked that I can draw (a little bit). I'm no DaVinci by nay means; but up until about the age of 16 (when I realized I couldn't do anything else), I actually thought I would like to be a comic book artist. So I liked to draw a lot, and studied it privately for many years (like age 4-16).

By the time I met Jayne, I had actually given art up for a few years already; but she really like to read the newspaper, and the comics in particular (especially The Far Side). So, for a while, I thought I might try to get her attention by drawing little cartoons.

I had to draw a couple of things for school (and they weren't really intended for her), but somehow she came across these things (without my knowledge) and was somehow pleased by them. That made me happy, so I started doing this for her specifically.

I used to draw her into my cartoons (as herself, as best I could); and usually, I'd draw some ridiculous (but non-threatening) creature bothering her (which was supposed to be me).

She had a fondness for little woodland animals--like groundhogs, or moles even--so I used to have this recurring pest in overalls and bad eyesight always visit her somehow in the cartoon (even if he wasn't the main character).

She never said really how she felt about them, to me personally; but it usually got back to me that she was pleased. So I'd make her Valentine cards and things like that periodically.

FrancisZ said:
She was the reason I got more serious about science and math.

I think she liked that I can draw (a little bit). I'm no DaVinci by nay means; but up until about the age of 16 (when I realized I couldn't do anything else), I actually thought I would like to be a comic book artist. So I liked to draw a lot, and studied it privately for many years (like age 4-16).

By the time I met Jayne, I had actually given art up for a few years already; but she really like to read the newspaper, and the comics in particular (especially The Far Side). So, for a while, I thought I might try to get her attention by drawing little cartoons.

I had to draw a couple of things for school (and they weren't really intended for her), but somehow she came across these things (without my knowledge) and was somehow pleased by them. That made me happy, so I started doing this for her specifically.

I used to draw her into my cartoons (as herself, as best I could); and usually, I'd draw some ridiculous (but non-threatening) creature bothering her (which was supposed to be me).

She had a fondness for little woodland animals--like groundhogs, or moles even--so I used to have this recurring pest in overalls and bad eyesight always visit her somehow in the cartoon (even if he wasn't the main character).

She never said really how she felt about them, to me personally; but it usually got back to me that she was pleased. So I'd make her Valentine cards and things like that periodically.

wow :!) so like prior to Jane did you ever come across anyone else that you thought was "the one"??

Edin_Dzeko said:
wow :!) so like prior to Jane did you ever come across anyone else that you thought was "the one"??

Not really, honestly. I liked a lot of girls--but THAT I would say was more purely physical (and not even especially intimately). It was just more: well, I like the way she looks--she has a cute face.

But Jayne--I fell in love with her spirit first. She was very funny--she'd make funny facial expressions even (not something a debonair woman does very often, I think), although she was also extremely intelligent and sophisticated.

misgfool said:
How can an intelligent woman be a believer? What does the previous statement imply?

I think it's quite possible, as long as she can interpret religious texts in a sensible manner she probably won't believe that the world was literally created in 7 days and that the egyptians lived at the same time as the dinosaurs.

same interests, for example i can talk about guitar with a girl or anyone for hours, as well as physics (im not any physicists though, I am just trying to be one)

personality, if she cries for anything or doesn't seem to respond to my actions i start loosing interest

how hot the girl is is important but not as important as the personality (anyways, for me 95% of the girls are hot)

I know a girl at uni who loves pure Maths and it's great because most days she will have some problem she's trying to solve - that I don't really understand since we're both second year students but she is doing some third year subjects - and try to explain the problem to me. Anyway a lot of our discussions are on meaningful topics that I love. We are just friends I would like to consider a stronger relationship but fear if that attempt fails I could lose a friend.

Anyway for me if a girl has an interest in what I study then having a discussion about that makes me a lot more comfortable to actually engage in a conversation. At the end of the day I'm not interested in someone who's fake (even if they are physically attractive).

I would say that, imo, guys would typically look for girls with some of the same interests but also different interests, have somewhat of a social life so there is no 'suffocation', as well as having a good personality.

Some may beg to differ tho. :)

I think I'm a nerd. At least I work hard to be one.

What I want in a girl that I'd like?
1. Understanding.
2. Not worrying too much when problems occur. Just keeps working on it patiently.
2. Appreciation about her life and not taking me as an intruder/spoiler. Ha ha.
3. Be nerdy about something of her own. Or passion maybe?
4. Not thinking about what neighbours/relatives are doing secretly.
5. About looks, well, cute/windy(i can't explain about it, just a personal definition that I can't find a word about).

Last edited by a moderator:
Topher925 said:
I also like a girl who has ambition in life, for example pursuing a PhD or wanting to become a research scientist or doctor or something of the sort.

Well, I have an ambition. I want to be a theoretical Physicist:biggrin: But I could not tell if I have number 1. But number 3, sorry. I am currently a Roman Catholic.

And by the way, I am just replying for the sake of fun :biggrin:

How about the Progressive Insurance girl?

Loren Booda said:

You're not the first guy I've heard who thinks she's hot.

lisab said:
You're not the first guy I've heard who thinks she's hot.

At first I found her somewhat annoying and exaggerated. Of late, she seems more intimate (that is, for T.V.). More annoying was actually the set and exaggerated were her interactions with fellow actors. She herself acts coquettish and not pushy.

She's not a diet-driven video-vixen. She appears independent and not as silly on the surface as her role requires. Emotionally, I feel attracted to her, but here comes Detective Eames.

I wonder if my girlfriend would agree?:redface:

FrancisZ said:
Normally, I don’t feel comfortable citing my preferences (my family doesn’t even know). But since it is now nearly 5 o’clock in the morning--and I am practically an insomniac anyway—I think I should like at least to describe the characteristics, of she whom I belonged to (and forever will, I pray).

She was way smarter than me; positively gleeful while at work; very humorous (laughed while reading the newspaper even); and, was religiously inclined (though, not a loony either).

She was fairly neat and organized too (though, again, not an obsessive neat-freak). Really, she was just very self-reliant about everything. I preferred always to be her helper, in any way she’d allow it—and which, I regret, was not often enough—but I admired her so, nevertheless. What an able person she was.

Truly, and in all ways I can think of: the woman that I belonged to, was everything I could ever aspire be myself. And she was very good, all of the time, to everybody. She’d TALK—a lot—to anyone; total strangers even, at length. And I absolutely adored her voice. Yet oddly enough: when we were alone together, I remember she would speak very softly, and use fewer, if any words. Really, she more sort-of glanced at me a lot, in order to convey herself.

I’m not one for speaking much either (I prefer to write); but she had a beautiful speaking voice—something, maybe, between a Kathleen Turner, and a Mackenzie Phillips. It was a deep, strong, but still distinctly feminine voice. I liked to listen to her sing at mass, but she was very self-conscious (and would sing low) because of the women she lived with. Frankly: she had a sexier voice than any of them (but again, wasn’t overt in any respect about it either).

She liked to make waffles, and took a lot of pride in them, and in whatever she was up to cooking. Originally, my love came from Kentucky; and as you might expect of a southern female, was a superb cook. She made me ribs once, to absolutely die for.

I worked with her (that’s how we met), and I learned a lot from her. I think that’s very important in a relationship too—to be able to learn from someone, and share your talents with. Though I don’t honestly believe: that there was a darn thing ever that I knew, that I could have ever taught her; I still felt somehow that she appreciated my sensibilities too; and also the many dumb things that I made for her over the years.

She was a genius really, and was perfectly confident in herself, as far as academic and domestic things were concerned (like sewing for example—she made her own clothes too!). Yet somehow—and even despite how great she was—she lacked confidence in the sort of things that are maybe more artistically inclined. I truly feel however: that if she ever felt like sitting down and actually painting a portrait or landscape, she would have executed it far better than me (and supposedly, I was the artistic one); and yet, she never attempted to for some reason. It’s one of those things I had intentions of instigating in her, one day. She needed a shove, I thought.

She was a sports fan—liked football—and even though I’m not much of an athlete myself (nor do I follow much), I respected that about her immensely. It honestly made me want to learn how to play; I always figured that she liked the football player type (though she never said).

Physically speaking: she was tall (about 5’10”) and very broad-hipped. She was bosomy also, but narrow in the shoulders (which sloped nicely), and her hips were much bigger than average. Such that: even the most simple, no frills, mono-chromatic house dress, looked particularly lovely on her. She had a feminine neck; nice long arms, which were soft at the top; lovely hands; and a big toothy grin (which gave her trouble sometimes, but I still thought was so very cute).

She had beautiful, crooked, natural teeth. And when she smiled, she smiled big; just like a little kid. She was 55. And not gray, but silver-haired; and had beautiful brown eyes.

SHE NEVER WORE MAKE-UP, or painted her fingernails; and she (believe it or not) always wore a dress, when I knew her. Not an extravagant or revealing thing, mind you; but rather, something she literally made on her own (with a length, a little below the knee). Truly, she was one the only one of her kind.

Overall, I would say that she was pleasantly plump. AND, this is the ultimate: she had the absolute softest cheek I have ever kissed. From a little boy, I remember hearing about how women have softer skin than men; but I never understood what that meant exactly, until one day, I finally kissed her. No lie: she was like kissing a warm buttermilk pancake, lovingly crafted by GOD.

There will never be another like her. Her name was Jayne Goebel. And if she had finally agreed to marry me, before she died, I would have happily become Francis Goebel instead of she Jayne Ziegler. It’s the name I want for myself even now., because I know that I belonged to her.

Nerds, I suppose then, maybe just need to belong to a woman.

Francis, sorry for your loss.
She is not here anymore, but your ability for love, that you had shown in your beautiful writing is still here.
I understand why you want to write and remember: it is like it happens again.

I wonder how many guys have found their soul-mates since I logged in Physics Forum for the last time.

Maybe I already said this before, but as a pretty nerdy woman I have observed this strange phenomenon:

A nerdy woman can also be seen as a trophy girlfriend!

Imagine this: I know I am intelligent and I do not feel obliged to prove I am intelligent at any moment of my life. I mispronounce words on purpose for comedic effects, comment about celebrity gossip trying to look as excited as I can, and do anything possible to break the solemnity of academic life.
In spite it was pretty obvious that I was much more intelligent than him, this guy felt embarrassed and asked me not to do such a things because "people could think I was an ignoramus".

I wonder how many men are not describing what they really enjoy in a woman, but what they think is desirable and will make them look as winners?

Forget nerdy or not nerdy, look for a woman you are able to enjoy!

Loren Booda said:

It seems funny to me to hear "girl" used to describe someone who is 40. But if we're going to go for insurance salespeople, my vote is for Erin Esurance. She's got a real Jessica Rabbit thing going there.