Register to reply

YAME (yet another musing on engineering)

by jehan60188
Tags: engineering, musing, yame
Share this thread:
jehan60188
Mar15-12, 11:37 PM
P: 204
I'm studying engineering. In order to pad my resume, and improve my portfolio, I try to make various doo-hickeys, widgets, and gadgets.
I grew up building from simple soldering kits (radio, line follower, i call it "legos with soldering"), and now I'm playing around with more open ended stuff.
I got an arduino, and made a countdown timer. And I'm ready to do more.
As I was looking at various hexapods online, I concluded I need 18 servos (6 legs, 3 points of articulation each)
That cost will add up!
So then I thought- "why?"

why should i make a hexapod?
it's already been done.
Will I be contributing something worthwhile to the world?
Besides practice in drafting, wiring, software, etc, what is there?
And if that's all there is, is it worth it?

Just something I've been kicking around. I've got some servos to order!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
berkeman
Mar15-12, 11:52 PM
Mentor
P: 41,083
Quote Quote by jehan60188 View Post
I'm studying engineering. In order to pad my resume, and improve my portfolio, I try to make various doo-hickeys, widgets, and gadgets.
I grew up building from simple soldering kits (radio, line follower, i call it "legos with soldering"), and now I'm playing around with more open ended stuff.
I got an arduino, and made a countdown timer. And I'm ready to do more.
As I was looking at various hexapods online, I concluded I need 18 servos (6 legs, 3 points of articulation each)
That cost will add up!
So then I thought- "why?"

why should i make a hexapod?
it's already been done.
Will I be contributing something worthwhile to the world?
Besides practice in drafting, wiring, software, etc, what is there?
And if that's all there is, is it worth it?

Just something I've been kicking around. I've got some servos to order!
So that's really the point. Make things that are useful and fun for you. If you make a little robot, make it so that it can vacuum your place or something. The projects that you design and build to learn should also be useful for you in real life, if possible, IMO.
Bobbywhy
Mar16-12, 03:41 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
Thirty-four years ago I had a few primitive silicon solar cells. I wanted them to follow the sun all day long to gather the most energy possible. So I built a simple solar tracker (powered by the cells). The point is the same berkeman makes above: make something useful, something that solves a problem.

Register to reply