RC circuits - questions about the solution

In summary, the solution for the question "c" in the RC circuit problem states that the current at the closed switch is the sum of the current produced by the battery, which flows downward through the switch, and the current produced by the discharging process of the capacitor, which flows away from the positive plate of the capacitor. This current is exponentially decreasing as the capacitor discharges and after it is fully discharged, only the battery supplies current through the switch. At t=0, the circuit can be redrawn as two separate circuits, with a constant current in the left circuit and an exponentially decreasing current in the right circuit. The directions of both currents are important as they determine why the currents add.
carlos125
RC circuits -- questions about the solution

Homework Statement

First of all , greetings from Peru and thank you to all the people who help another people here,taht's awesome , please help me with this guys... Here's the statement
rc.JPG

The solution is
rc2.JPG

My questions:
ok my question is about the solution for the question "c", it says that the current is the sum of the current produced by the battery and the current produced by the dischargin process,well ,my teacher told me that after that a capacitor is fully charged by a battery , the current is zero because there is no pottential difference between them. so, :

1. Why the solution adds the current produced by the battery? why isn't it zero?Isn't it zero at t=0 too?
2.why they say the current at the closed switch is the sum of both currents whithout drawing directions of both currents?( you know like kirchhoffs junction rule,i've checked out some solutions of this problem and they don't draw the directions they just say it's the sum of both currents)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

carlos125 said:

Homework Statement

First of all , greetings from Peru and thank you to all the people who help another people here,taht's awesome , please help me with this guys... Here's the statement
View attachment 54129
The solution is View attachment 54130

My questions:
ok my question is about the solution for the question "c", it says that the current is the sum of the current produced by the battery and the current produced by the dischargin process,well ,my teacher told me that after that a capacitor is fully charged by a battery , the current is zero because there is no pottential difference between them. so, :

1. Why the solution adds the current produced by the battery? why isn't it zero?Isn't it zero at t=0 too?
2.why they say the current at the closed switch is the sum of both currents whithout drawing directions of both currents?( you know like kirchhoffs junction rule,i've checked out some solutions of this problem and they don't draw the directions they just say it's the sum of both currents)

Before the switch is closed, the cap is charged up so no more current flows (Vcap = Vbat, so there is no voltage difference across the top resistor to drive any current).

After the switch is closed, the battery drives current through the top resistor to ground through the switch (call the bottom of the circuit "ground"), and the capacitor discharges through the bottom right resistor through the switch. That's why for a time there are two currents adding up through the switch. After the cap fully discharges, only the battery supplies any current through the switch.

Make sense?

berkeman said:
Before the switch is closed, the cap is charged up so no more current flows (Vcap = Vbat, so there is no voltage difference across the top resistor to drive any current).

After the switch is closed, the battery drives current through the top resistor to ground through the switch (call the bottom of the circuit "ground"), and the capacitor discharges through the bottom right resistor through the switch. That's why for a time there are two currents adding up through the switch. After the cap fully discharges, only the battery supplies any current through the switch.

Make sense?

Thanks for your reply but I still don't get it ,why does the battery still 'drive' current when it's supossed to be zero, ? the solution says that the capacitor charges through both resistances , so after the capacitor is charged up and the switch is closed , the current at the circuit should be still zero ,right ? I'm confused :confused: it would be great if you tell me why they didn't draw the directions of both currents too. thank you very much .

Last edited:

After the switch is closed at t=0+, you basically have two separate circuits. Because of the short circuit in the middle, no voltage information is transferred across a short circuit.

So redraw the circuit for t=0+. Make it two separate circuits. The left circuit is a power supply driving a constant voltage across a constant resistance, so that makes a constant current. V=IR.

And the right side circuit is a charged up capacitor in series with a resistor. So you get an exponentially decreasing voltage as the cap discharges, so you get an exponentially decreasing current through the resistor versus time. V=IR.

berkeman said:
After the switch is closed at t=0+, you basically have two separate circuits. Because of the short circuit in the middle, no voltage information is transferred across a short circuit.

So redraw the circuit for t=0+. Make it two separate circuits. The left circuit is a power supply driving a constant voltage across a constant resistance, so that makes a constant current. V=IR.

And the right side circuit is a charged up capacitor in series with a resistor. So you get an exponentially decreasing voltage as the cap discharges, so you get an exponentially decreasing current through the resistor versus time. V=IR.

Thanks , so.. since at t=0 is like we have two separate circuits then the current at the switch will be like the sum of the current of every circuit ,right? why directions is not important here?

carlos125 said:
why directions is not important here?

it is important. both currents add because they flow in the same direction.

carlos125 said:
Thanks , so.. since at t=0 is like we have two separate circuits then the current at the switch will be like the sum of the current of every circuit ,right? why directions is not important here?

The direction is important, that is, why the currents add.

The upper terminal of the battery is positive. The current of the battery flows through the 50 kΩ resistor and the switch towards the negative terminal. That means a downward current through the switch.

The capacitor is charged, and its upper plate is positive. When the switch is closed, the charge flows away from it, the excess positive charge flows from the positive plate through the switch and 100 kΩ resistor towards the negative plate.
That current also flows downward through the switch.

ehild

Thank you guys . That was a great explanation .:smile: thanks

1. How do I calculate the time constant of an RC circuit?

The time constant of an RC circuit is equal to the product of the resistance (R) and the capacitance (C). It can be calculated using the formula: τ = RC, where τ is the time constant in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. What is the purpose of using an RC circuit?

An RC circuit is used to control the flow of current in a circuit, either by delaying or amplifying the input signal. It is commonly used in filters, oscillators, and timing circuits.

3. How do I find the voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit?

The voltage across a capacitor in an RC circuit can be found using the formula: Vc = V0(1-e^(-t/RC)), where Vc is the voltage across the capacitor at time t, V0 is the initial voltage, and e is the base of natural logarithms. Alternatively, you can also use Kirchhoff's voltage law to calculate the voltage across the capacitor.

4. Can I use an RC circuit to produce a square wave?

Yes, an RC circuit can be used to produce a square wave by connecting the output of the circuit to a Schmitt trigger. The Schmitt trigger will convert the triangular wave produced by the RC circuit into a square wave.

5. How do I calculate the current in an RC circuit?

The current in an RC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law (I = V/R) or by using the formula: I = I0e^(-t/RC), where I is the current at time t, I0 is the initial current, and e is the base of natural logarithms.