Understanding Boyle's Law and Its Impact on Experiments and Cooking Techniques

In summary, the presence of air bubbles or water in mercury can affect the results in a "J-tube" experiment. This is because the air and water are much higher in temperature than mercury, and so the experiment is more difficult to measure. Additionally, water will boil at a lower temperature at higher pressure, which is why water boils at a lower temperature on mountains.
franz32
Hello everyone!

I have some questions here to ask... I hope anyone could help me here. Here are the following.

1. How would the presence of air bubbles or water in mercury affect the results in a "J-tube" experiment?

2. Why does food cook faster in a pressure cooker than in an aluminum ware?

3. There are times when the water boils at less than 100 deg. celsius, especially at mountainous regions. Why is it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by franz32

1. How would the presence of air bubbles or water in mercury affect the results in a "J-tube" experiment?
Not sure what you mean. The air and water would rise to the top of the mercury. Kind of hard to mix mercury and water!
Food cooks faster when you can get it hotter. At ordinary pressures, the boiling point of water is 100 degrees C; that's as hot as you can make it. By increasing the pressure (which is what a pressure cooker does) the water is harder to boil---the boiling point is hotter, so the food cooks faster.
3. There are times when the water boils at less than 100 deg. celsius, especially at mountainous regions. Why is it?
For the same reasoning as in #2. What prevents the water from just "boiling off" at any temperature? Air pressure. The more pressure, the hotter you have to make the water in order to get it to boil. On the mountains, pressure is less so you can't get the water as hot since it starts to boil sooner. Makes for a lousy cup of tea!

Originally posted by franz32
Hello everyone!

I have some questions here to ask... I hope anyone could help me here. Here are the following.

1) Not quite sure if you would get such bubbles... ?

2) The high pressure means that the water boiling and steam inside are at a much greater temp (ie well over 100 deg) than if boiled in an open pan. Hence they cook quicker.

3) The energetic water particles near the surface of the water can escape into the air as steam (ie boiling) much easier if there is a lower air pressure above the liquid surface. Water will boil at 70 deg or so up a tall mountain.

Pretty identical answers there Doc Al! You beat me too it though...:smile:

Originally posted by Adrian Baker
Pretty identical answers there Doc Al! You beat me too it though...:smile:
We'll call it a draw! At least we agree.

Air or water in the closed side of a "J"-tube can result in higher measured pressures in the closed side than those measured with "clean" mercury.

On question 1

Hello again...

Thank you for all your helps. =)

Well, I observed that when i am filling the J-tube with amounts of mercury, I could see some kind of "open holes" in it, which I am referring to it as air bubbles. =)

I kept wondering, what happens if I didn't mind that?

Appreciation

Hello everyone!

Thank you. =)

Another thing, my email tells me that I have received a reply

from the physics forum, but when I went here, they don't appear.

Why is it so?

Have u Cliked the link provided by the email

1. What is Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law is a gas law that states the inverse relationship between the pressure and volume of a gas at a constant temperature. It means that as the pressure of a gas increases, the volume decreases, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law was discovered by the Irish scientist Robert Boyle in the 17th century. He conducted experiments on the relationship between the pressure and volume of gases and published his findings in 1662.

3. What is the mathematical formula for Boyle's Law?

The mathematical formula for Boyle's Law is P1V1 = P2V2, where P1 and V1 represent the initial pressure and volume of a gas, and P2 and V2 represent the final pressure and volume of the gas at a constant temperature.

4. How does Boyle's Law affect everyday life?

Boyle's Law has many practical applications in our daily lives, such as in scuba diving, where changes in pressure affect the volume of air in the diver's lungs. It also explains why a balloon expands when filled with air and shrinks when deflated.

5. What are the limitations of Boyle's Law?

Boyle's Law holds true only for ideal gases at a constant temperature. It does not account for changes in temperature or the behavior of real gases at high pressures. Additionally, it assumes that the amount of gas and the number of molecules remain constant.