Behaviour of iron in magnetic field

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of an array of electromagnets to create a magnetic field zone in order to separate iron dust from non-magnetic dust or powder. The iron particles would be attracted to the poles of the electromagnets while free falling through the zone. The strength of the magnetic field and the behavior of the iron particles in the field were also discussed. The idea of using a block magnetic field created by two plates facing each other was proposed as a potential solution.
KKK
Assume that iron dust is mixed with non magnetic dust or powder and it requires separation.
How would the iron dust behave if the material containing the iron dust is allowed to fall through a magnetic field zone created by placing electromagnets in an array so that the magnetic zone is about 600 mm wide (across the flow), 100 mm thick (flow thickness) and 1000 mm deep (along the flow). While free falling through this zone the iron particles should get attracted to the electromagnet poles. The free fall would allow the iron dust particles to move freely towards the poles.
Do you think that this will happen?
What do think should be the strength of the magnetic field?
Would the iron behave as if it is in any other force field, say, like gravity, where it would get attracted to the nearest mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
One needs to show one's work or thoughts before asking for help.

It would appear the problem is one of magnetic separation.

How would the iron dust behave if the material containing the iron dust is allowed to fall through a magnetic field zone created by placing electromagnets in an array so that the magnetic zone is about 600 mm wide (across the flow), 100 mm thick (flow thickness) and 1000 mm deep (along the flow). While free falling through this zone the iron particles should get attracted to the electromagnet poles. The free fall would allow the iron dust particles to move freely towards the poles.
Do you think that this will happen?
What do think should be the strength of the magnetic field?
Would the iron behave as if it is in any other force field, say, like gravity, where it would get attracted to the nearest mass?
It depends on each particle's volume and weight. If the gravitational field is strong enough, the particles would just fall through. If the magnetic field was strong enough, well of course the particles would stick to the magnetic field!

Mk said:
It depends on each particle's volume and weight. If the gravitational field is strong enough, the particles would just fall through. If the magnetic field was strong enough, well of course the particles would stick to the magnetic field!

Yes. The iron being micronic in size its volume is also very small and so is the mass. What I thought was that like the equation G.ma.m2/d^2 for Gravitation, magnetic equation would also apply. However I am seeking the views of others whether this would be true in entirety.

Astronuc said:
One needs to show one's work or thoughts before asking for help.

It would appear the problem is one of magnetic separation.

I respect your views about showing work and then asking help. This case happens to be beyond simple magnetic separation due to the fineness of the iron dust. I thought it worthwhile to contact others who would know more in the field and so their opinion would be valuable. If you have experienced the behaviour of iron dust falling down through a block shaped magnetic field, it what I am seeking. There are two forces acting, gravity downward and magnetism across the gravity. Would the iron dust "float" to the nearest magnetic pole. Please suggest a book or Internet site giving more information on it.

The dust would fall in a curve towards the poles. I'm seeing something like a horseshoe-shaped electromagnet, with the poles like

_________....__________
_________}...{__________

^
And the dust falling in between (without dots)

It would fall in a curve because, well gravity is pulling downward, and magnetism is pulling left or right.

Thank you Mk. I thought similarly. I am at a task to determine how the curve of fall can be designed so that the iron gets away from the fall of the non magnetic material. The "Block Magnetic Field" I thought could be created by puttting the N poles on one side and S poles opposite, so that the magnetic field lines would be straight from N poles to S poles and would act as a magnetic filter. Would I be right in thinking so? Next would be how to design the strength of the field. Sidewise acceleration could be imparted by the magnetic filed. The task would be to determine "how much stronger". Do you have any ideas or references?

Last edited by a moderator:
Mk said:
The dust would fall in a curve towards the poles. I'm seeing something like a horseshoe-shaped electromagnet, with the poles like

_________....__________
_________}...{__________

^

It would fall in a curve because, well gravity is pulling downward, and magnetism is pulling left or right.
From a practical point of view, the gap between the poles would get smaller. Particles that get attracted to either poles become magnetized and extend the electromagnetic field closer to the center. These magnetized particles attract more particles, and they become magnetized and so on...I think you would end up with a conical.

"The dust would fall in a curve towards the poles. I'm seeing something like a horseshoe-shaped electromagnet, with the poles like

_________....__________
_________}...{__________

^

It would fall in a curve because, well gravity is pulling downward, and magnetism is pulling left or right."

Now, consider that the magnet poles are in the shape of two plates 600 mm wide and 1000 mm deep, facing each other about 100 mm apart.
If sufficient magnetic pole strength is provided to the two plates (one plate as N pole and other as S pole) a block field should form between the two plates.
The iron particles should get attracted to one of the poles if they are made to fall between the two poles (and through the block magnetic field). The curve of fall should make the iron particles to take them to one of the poles and out of the flow of the remaining non magnetic material.
This should cause the iron particles to come out the non magnetic material.
Is this thinking correct?

Forec on iron in magnetic field

Astronuc said:
Your thinking seems correct. The effectiveness will depend on the magnetic field.

Here is a commercial reference - http://www.magnetics.com/TrampMetalGroup.htm

Conventional / commercial organisations do not appear to get involved in such an abstract problem. I have already approached the suggested site but I learned there that such a system would not work, which I think is not correct, it should work.

The iron particle would be expected to move towards the nearest magnetic pole.

I have attempted to calculate the force exerted on an iron particle having a diameter of 20 microns. I assumed the following relation -

F = Mu*(NI)^2*A / 2*L^2
with usual convetions in SI units
Mu=4*pi*10e-7
L= distance between the pole face and iron particle.
N=number of Turns
I=current in amps

for starters, I assumed Ampere turns NI = 350 turns x 5 amps.

I landed with a force of 32 N. Which appears to be too high for a particle of mass of 3.288E-11 kg. This would give the particle nearly impossible acceleration, which does not appear to be right.

I am trying to find whether something is wrong with the use of the relation above. May be the value assumed by me was too high. I have attempted the calculation with an electromagnet and I shall try that out with a permanent magnet.

Do have any hints to give?

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does iron behave in a magnetic field?

Iron is a ferromagnetic material, which means it can be easily magnetized and retains its magnetization even after the external magnetic field is removed. In the presence of a magnetic field, the atomic dipoles in iron align with the field, creating a stronger overall magnetic field.

2. What causes iron to exhibit magnetic properties?

Iron has a unique electron configuration that allows for its unpaired electrons to align and create a magnetic moment. This alignment of electron spins is what gives iron its magnetic properties.

3. Can the behavior of iron in a magnetic field be changed?

Yes, the behavior of iron in a magnetic field can be changed by altering the strength or direction of the external magnetic field. Additionally, heating or cooling iron can also affect its magnetic properties.

4. How does the behavior of iron differ from other metals in a magnetic field?

Unlike iron, most other metals are not ferromagnetic and do not exhibit strong magnetic properties. Some metals, such as nickel and cobalt, are also ferromagnetic, but their behavior in a magnetic field may differ from iron due to differences in their electron configurations.

5. What applications rely on our understanding of the behavior of iron in a magnetic field?

The behavior of iron in a magnetic field is essential for many industrial and technological applications. These include electromagnets, motors, generators, magnetic storage devices, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Understanding the behavior of iron in a magnetic field also helps in the study of Earth's magnetic field and its impact on the planet.