Calculating the Effective Shear Stress: Understanding Stress Invariants

• Thread starter hexa
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses a question about solving a matrix problem related to stress in a 2-dimensional Cartesian space. The question asks for the numerical value of the "effective shear stress" at a specific point, which is defined as the square root of the "second stress invariant." The conversation also mentions the need to define \sigma^{\prime}_{ij} and to show the steps taken to solve the problem.
hexa
please help: solving a matrix problem

Hello,

can anyone help me with solving the following question? I guess I don't quiet understand what this is about, partly as my english is not particularly good, partly because some information is missing in my course note eventhough some text (I deleted) from this question refers to the course notes.

-----------
The state of stress at some point in a 2-dimensional Cartesian space is defined by the stress
tensor σij, for example:

σij=
[
σ11 σ12
σ21 σ22
]
=
[
5 3
3 2
]

(this is meant to be a matrix σij=[]=[]

(a) Calculate the numerical value of the “effective shear stress” σ'E at this point. Remember
that σ'E is the square root of the “second stress invariant”:
σ'E = (½σ'ijσ'ij)½
where σ'ij is the deviatoric stress tensor. State also what is meant by stress “invariant”.

----
Thanks a lot,

hexa

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hexa said:
The state of stress at some point in a 2-dimensional Cartesian space is defined by the stress
tensor σij, for example:

σij=
[
σ11 σ12
σ21 σ22
]
=
[
5 3
3 2
]

(this is meant to be a matrix σij=[]=[]

Let's do this in LaTeX. To see the code just click on the image. A tutorial is available here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

[tex]\sigma_{ij} = \left[\begin{array}{cc}\sigma_{11} & \sigma_{12}\\ \sigma_{21} & \sigma_{22}\end{array}\right]=\left[\begin{array}{cc}5 & 3\\ 3 & 2\end{array}\right][/tex]

(a) Calculate the numerical value of the “effective shear stress” σ'E at this point. Remember
that σ'E is the square root of the “second stress invariant”:
σ'E = (½σ'ijσ'ij)½

You need to do 2 things:

1.) Define [itex]\sigma^{\prime}_{ij}[/itex]. I can't tell what it is in terms of [itex]\sigma_{ij}[/itex].
2.) Show how you started this problem, and where you got stuck.

1. What is a matrix problem?

A matrix problem is a mathematical problem that involves manipulating and solving a matrix, which is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns.

2. How do I solve a matrix problem?

To solve a matrix problem, you can use various methods such as Gaussian elimination, matrix inversion, or the Gauss-Jordan method. These methods involve manipulating the matrix using elementary row operations to transform it into a simpler form that is easier to solve.

3. What are some common applications of solving matrix problems?

Matrix problems are used in many fields, including engineering, physics, computer science, and economics. Some common applications include solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and performing transformations in computer graphics.

4. Are there any tips for solving matrix problems?

One tip for solving matrix problems is to always start by simplifying the matrix as much as possible using elementary row operations. It is also helpful to keep track of the operations you perform and to double-check your calculations to avoid errors.

5. Can matrix problems have multiple solutions?

Yes, matrix problems can have multiple solutions. This can happen when the matrix is underdetermined (has more variables than equations) or when there are infinitely many solutions. It is important to check the consistency and uniqueness of the solutions to ensure accuracy.