Difference between accuracy and resolution

In summary, accuracy and resolution are important terms to understand when calibrating measuring devices in systems such as ventilation, heating, and cooling. Accuracy refers to the closeness of a measurement to the actual value being measured, while resolution refers to the smallest detectable increment that an instrument can measure or display. It's important to consider both of these factors when using measuring devices, as a higher resolution does not necessarily mean a more accurate measurement if the device is not used correctly.
TSN79
I have a few questions regarding measuring devices in systems such as ventilation, heating, cooling etc. When calibrating these I come across the terms "accuracy" and "resolution" (directly translated from norwegian). I a bit confused about the difference of these. Can someone explain this to me...?

Engineering news on Phys.org
A layperson's answer - might not be as formal as someone in the industry:

I have two tape measures A and B, A measures down to 1/8th inch increments, while B measures down to 1/32 inch increments. B has higher resolution.

B has a little hook on the end on a slidey bit with a rivet (it took me a long time to figure out what that was for). Anyway, the slidey bit allows for too much play when I measure; it can slide around by as much as 1/16th of an inch.

Ironically, while tape measure B has higher resolution, if I don't use it correctly, it is actually less accurate.

Just to echo what Dave mentioned:

Accuracy: The closeness of a measurement to the actual value being measured.

Resolution: The smallest detectable increment that an instrument will measure/display to.

Accuracy: accuracy is the maximum spread in measurements made of slide movements during successive runs at a number of target points
Resolution: Resolution refers to the smallest units of measurement that the system can recognize.

What is the difference between accuracy and resolution?

Accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true or accepted value, while resolution is the smallest unit of measurement that can be detected or displayed by a measuring instrument.

How does accuracy affect the reliability of data?

The higher the accuracy, the more reliable the data will be. This is because a highly accurate measurement will have less error and therefore, be closer to the true value.

What is the relationship between accuracy and precision?

Accuracy and precision are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While accuracy refers to how close a measurement is to the true value, precision refers to how close a series of measurements are to each other. It is possible to have high precision but low accuracy, or vice versa.

How can resolution impact the quality of data?

The higher the resolution, the more detailed and precise the data will be. A low resolution can result in data that is less accurate and more prone to error.

What are some factors that can affect the accuracy and resolution of measurements?

Some factors that can affect accuracy and resolution include human error, instrument error, environmental conditions, and calibration of the instrument.