Inflating wading pool with garden hose

• Thread starter FlipStyle1308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    garden Hose
In summary, the conversation is about using Bernoulli's equation to solve a problem involving filling a circular pool with a garden hose. The person asking the question is unsure about how to plug in the values and is wondering about the flow rate of the hose and the volume of water needed to fill the pool. They eventually figure it out on their own and express gratitude.
FlipStyle1308
Do I use Bernoulli's equation for this problem? If so, how do I go about plugging in the values?

To fill a child's inflatable wading pool, you use a garden hose with a diameter of 3 cm. Water flows from this hose with a speed of 1 m/s. How long will it take to fill the pool to a depth of 25 cm if it is circular and has a diameter of 1.6 m?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a straight algebra word problem to me. Am I missing something? If the water is flowing through a 3cm diameter tube at 100cm/s, how many cc's of water per second come out the end? How many cc's of water to fill the pool volume in the problem?

Never mind, I figured this out. Thank you!

Last edited:

1. How long does it take to inflate a wading pool with a garden hose?

The time it takes to inflate a wading pool with a garden hose can vary depending on the size and type of pool, water pressure, and the length and diameter of the hose. On average, it can take anywhere from 10-30 minutes to fully inflate a wading pool.

2. Can I use a regular garden hose to inflate a wading pool?

Yes, you can use a regular garden hose to inflate a wading pool. However, make sure the hose is long enough to reach the pool and has a nozzle attachment to control the water flow. It's also important to check the water pressure and make sure it's not too high, as this can damage the pool.

3. How do I properly connect the garden hose to the wading pool?

To connect the garden hose to the wading pool, first make sure the pool's valve is closed. Then, attach the nozzle of the hose to the valve on the pool and securely tighten it. Turn on the water and monitor the pool's inflation, making sure to adjust the water flow if needed.

4. Is it safe to leave the garden hose running while inflating the wading pool?

It is generally safe to leave the garden hose running while inflating the wading pool. However, it's important to monitor the pool's inflation and water level to ensure it doesn't overfill or cause any damage. It's also recommended to turn off the water when the pool is fully inflated to conserve water and prevent any potential accidents.

5. Can I use an air compressor to inflate a wading pool instead of a garden hose?

Yes, you can use an air compressor to inflate a wading pool instead of a garden hose. However, it's important to use a small air compressor with a low pressure setting to avoid overinflating the pool. It's also recommended to use a nozzle attachment to control the air flow and to regularly check the pool's inflation to prevent any damage.