Proving the Solution to a First Order Linear Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation was about a person trying to prove the solution to a differential equation and asking for clarification on their method. The expert provides a detailed summary of the conversation and points out the mistake in the method used. The conversation ends with the person thanking the expert and expressing their embarrassment for not realizing the mistake earlier.
name
Hello all,

I'm trying to prove to myself that the following solution to the DE shown works. I can't start using it until i prove to my self it works (it's this psycological thing i have were i can't use anything unless i know where it comes from). :rofl:

Here is the Equation and it's solution
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/3437/defa7.png

and here is me trying to prove to my self it works...
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/1831/desolhv6.png Am I doing anything wrong? Or can anyone please show me a proof which shows that this is a solution to the Differential Equation?

Thanks in advance :redface:edit: I don't think this is a homework question, as you know, I am just trying to prove it to my self.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me see if I can put into Latex what you have so others won't have to wait for those to load:

Your first reference asserts that the solution to the first order, linear, differential equation
[tex]\frac{dx}{dt}= ax(t)+ f(t)[/tex]
with x(0) and f(t) given is
[tex]x(t)= e^{at}x(0)+ \int_0^t e^{a(t-s)}ds[/itex]

2) You method of solution is: an integrating factor for the problem is e-at so
[tex]e^{-at}\frac{dx}{dt}= ae^{-at}x(t)+ e^{-at}f(t)[/tex]
[tex]e^{-at}\frac{dx}{dt}- ae^{-at}x(t)= e^{-at}f(t)[/tex]
[tex]\frac{de^{-at}x}{dt}= e^{-at}f(t)[/tex]

Yes, so far this is completely correct. You then integrate to get
[tex]e^{-at}x(t)= \int e^{-at}f(t)dt+ C[/tex]
so
[tex]x(t)= e^{at}\int e^{-at}f(t)dt+ Ce^{at}[/tex]
and try to determine C by setting t= 0
[tex]x(0)= e^{a0}\int e^{-a(0)}f(0)dt+ Ce^{a0}[/tex]
That's your mistake! You are treating the "t" inside the integral as if it were the same as the "t" outside. It's not- it's a "dummy" variable.
Remember that [itex]\int_0^1 t^2dt[/itex]= 3. You can't "set" t equal to 0 and declare that [itex]\int_0^1 0^2 dt= 3[/itex]!

Go back and use a different variable in your integral:
[tex]e^{-at}x(t)= \int^t e^{-as}f(s)ds[/tex]
Notice the single "t" as a limit on the integral. That tells people we mean for the final result of the integral to be in the variable t. Also notice there is no "C". Strictly speaking, that is included in the indefinite integral. A better technique, which you should learn, is to write that indefinite integral as a definite integral with a variable limit:
[tex]e^{-at}x(t)= \int_{0}^t e^{-as}f(s)ds+ C[/tex]
I now have "+ C" because choosing a lower limit is the same as choosing a specific constant for the indefinite integral which we don't want to do yet.
I took the lower limit as 0 because we know x(0). The upper limit is the variable t. Of course, if t= 0, that integral is from 0 to 0 and so is 0 no matter what is being integrated:
[tex]e^{-a(0)}x(0)= x(0)= \int_0^0 e^{-as}f(s)ds+ C= C[/tex]
so
[tex]e^{-at}x(t)= \int_0^t e^{-as}f(s)ds+ x(0)[/tex]
Now multiply by eat to get
[tex]x(t)= e^{at}\int_0^t e^{-as}f(s)ds+ x(0)e^{at}[/tex]
[tex]x(t)= \int_0^t e^{a(t-s)}f(s)ds+ x(0)e^{at}[/tex]
as claimed. (Of course we can take that eat inside the integral as if it were a constant because it does not depend on the variable of integration, s.)

(You don't think this is a homework question? Don't you know for sure?:rofl:

HallsofIvy said:
Let me see if I can put into Latex what you have so others won't have to wait for those to load:

(You don't think this is a homework question? Don't you know for sure?:rofl:

HallsofIvy,

Thank you very much for that. What a disgrace, this is even a fundamental part of first year calculas!. I kind of knew something was wrong in that line - hence those red question marks. :redface:

As for the homework part, :tongue2: What i meant to say was that i don't think this should be in the homework section (I wasn't sure what constitutes as "homework" in this forum). And Latex looks powerful, I think i'd better learn it.

What is a first order linear differential equation?

A first order linear differential equation is a type of mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, an independent variable, and their respective derivatives. The equation is "linear" because the dependent variable and its derivative appear only to the first power.

What is the general form of a first order linear differential equation?

The general form of a first order linear differential equation is dy/dx + p(x)y = q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are functions of the independent variable x.

How do you solve a first order linear differential equation?

To solve a first order linear differential equation, you can use the method of separation of variables, where you separate the dependent and independent variables on opposite sides of the equation and then integrate both sides. Another method is to use the integrating factor, where you multiply the entire equation by an integrating factor to simplify and then integrate both sides.

What is the significance of initial conditions in first order linear differential equations?

Initial conditions are required in first order linear differential equations because they provide a starting point for solving the equation. These conditions specify the value of the dependent variable at a specific value of the independent variable, and they are necessary to determine the particular solution to the equation.

What are some real-life applications of first order linear differential equations?

First order linear differential equations have many real-life applications, including population growth models, drug concentration in the body, and electrical circuits. They are also used in economics to model supply and demand, and in physics to describe the motion of objects under the influence of a force.