Saturated Fatty Acids: What's the Right Answer?

In summary, the incorrect answer is "d"--saturated fatty acid does not have double bonds, and saturated fatty acid does have maximum number of single bonds.
end3r7
I got my test back and one of the questions was the following

Which is a property of a saturated fatty acid?
(a) no double bonds
(b) (c) rubbish
(d) maximum number of single bonds

I answered (d), but the professor says it's (a).

I don't think it's (a) for two reasons-- a pi double bond between carbon and oxygen in the carboxyl group of hte molecule (as 'a' never specified no double bonds in carbon to carbon chain), and (d) is correct--apart from the pi carbon/oxygen bond, all others must be single in order for the fatty acid to be fully saturated with hydrogen.

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
10+ views and nobody has even an opinion?
I sincerely think I might be right, can anybody confirm it?

It's a lousy question; he offered lousy answers. That said, go with "a." You can expoxidize a double bond and get a "maximum number of single bonds," going to be a rather weird acid, but semantically not a "saturated fatty acid." Probably best not to argue from your "semantic" point that the acid contains a carbonyl group --- if you can "sell" the ambiguity of the two choices in a diplomatic fashion, you might stand a chance. If you're dealing with a "hard-head," give it up for this case, and remember it for the next.

Last edited:
First, thanks for the reply =D

I agree it was a lousy question (the truth being my professor does not seem truly sure of what he is doing at times). However, I fail to see how "a" could be a better answer than "d" when I have to make assumptions in order for "a" to be correct.

He is a hardhead and was rather rude when I asked him about it... he told me I should've known to ignore the carboxyl group. But if we ignore the carboxyl group, what do we call the molecule? Fatty? =P And how would it bond to glycerol? In fact, how would that make "d" wrong?

Luckily if I opt to challenge (which I'm thinking about), soembody else will review the challenge.

Btw, I have no clue what expoxidize means, but it sounds complicated and I wouldnt' expect us to have to know it.

Any challenge needs to be based on the ambiguities implicit in both possible answers, and on the fact that you have to make assumptions in both cases. Do NOT try to assert that you are correct and the instructor is NOT --- that will create bad feelings. Leave room for the "face-saving" acknowledgment that the answers were ambiguous.

I think you may win if you restate the question as a true-false type question in appeal. Thus the question "does saturated fatty acid have double bonds--true or false--and the correct answer is false due to C = O bond. Next the question "does saturated fatty acid have maximum number of single bonds" -- true or false--and the correct answer is true.
Thus, while answer (a) can be false is some situation answer (d) can never be false--thus answer (d) is "better" answer than (a). Good luck with your appeal.

I'm goign with that strategy, but I always try to be as polite as possible (although in a class of 100s in highly unlikely for him to remember who I am, however I like to believe I'm a good mannered individual anyway, go figure =/)

end3r7 said:
I'm goign with that strategy, but I always try to be as polite as possible (although in a class of 100s in highly unlikely for him to remember who I am, however I like to believe I'm a good mannered individual anyway, go figure =/)
end3r7--there is an error in my first true-false question, you need to add the word "no" before the words "double bonds"--this is the way the test question (a) is stated. Sorry for the confusion, good luck with your appeal.

1. What are saturated fatty acids?

Saturated fatty acids are a type of fat found in foods that are typically solid at room temperature, such as butter and coconut oil. They are composed of carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms and are known for their single bonds between carbon atoms, making them "saturated" with hydrogen atoms.

2. Are saturated fatty acids bad for you?

The answer to this question is not straightforward. Saturated fatty acids have been linked to an increased risk of heart disease, but recent research has shown that not all saturated fats are created equal. Some studies suggest that certain types of saturated fats, such as those found in dairy products, may have neutral or even beneficial effects on health. It is important to consider the source and amount of saturated fats in one's diet.

3. How much saturated fat should I consume?

Current dietary guidelines recommend limiting saturated fat intake to less than 10% of total daily calories. This equates to about 22 grams per day for a 2,000 calorie diet. However, individual needs may vary based on age, health status, and other factors.

4. Can I replace saturated fats with unsaturated fats?

Yes, replacing saturated fats with unsaturated fats, such as those found in olive oil, avocados, and nuts, has been shown to have positive effects on health. These unsaturated fats are known as "good" fats and can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.

5. Are there any health benefits of consuming saturated fatty acids?

While saturated fats have been associated with negative health effects, some research has shown potential benefits as well. Saturated fatty acids play a vital role in hormone production and cell membrane structure. Additionally, some types of saturated fats, such as medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs) found in coconut oil, have been linked to improved brain function and weight loss. However, more research is needed in this area.