Minor Earthquake near Bar Harbor, Maine

In summary, on October 2, 2006 at 00:07:37 UTC, a minor earthquake with a magnitude of 3.9 occurred 4 miles SSE from Bar Harbor, ME. Though it was considered minor, it was strong enough to cause boulders to roll off hills and block roads. Historical data shows that earthquakes in this area are rare. The epicenter was located at a depth of 5 km. The earthquake was also felt in nearby towns such as Ellsworth and Bucksport. A previous 2.5 magnitude earthquake had occurred on September 28, 2006. Though Bar Harbor is a small populated area, it is a popular destination for wealthy individuals during the summer months.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
3.9 (Minor) - 4 miles (7 km) SSE (157°) from Bar Harbor, ME - Minor yes, but strong enough to send boulders rolling off hills and blocking roads. Bar Harbor is a small populated area.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 00:07:37 (UTC) = Coordinated Universal Time
Monday, October 2, 2006 at 8:07:37 PM = local time at epicenter

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/ustib1.php#maps

Historical seismicity shows that earthquakes here are rare.
http://neic.usgs.gov/neis/bulletin/neic_tib1_h.html

Depth: 5 km (3.1 miles)

Distances:
7 km (4 miles) SSE (157°) from Bar Harbor, ME
36 km (23 miles) SE (139°) from Ellsworth, ME
57 km (35 miles) ESE (119°) from Bucksport, ME
303 km (188 miles) ENE (59°) from Manchester, NH
324 km (202 miles) NE (46°) from Boston, MA

A second 2.5 mag earthquake preceded this earthquake on /09/28 13:52:48 at location: 44.452 -68.195, which was further toward the main coast, as opposed to off shore. Hmmm! I wonder if this indicates a trend for future seismic activity in the area.

So Turbo, did you feel it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
So Turbo, did you feel it?
No, I didn't notice that one. We get a few a year that can be felt, usually no worse than the vibration from a washing machine during a spin cycle, so depending on what you're doing at the time (including doing a load of laundry) you may not even notice them.

Bar Harbor may be a "small populated area", but during the summer months, you can't swing a cat without hitting a billionaire or at least a many-times-over millionaire. If a major earquake ever hit that area, the insurance claims for property damage would be incredible.

Thank you for sharing this information about the minor earthquake near Bar Harbor, Maine. It is interesting to note that while earthquakes are rare in this area, they can still have an impact on the local population and infrastructure. It is fortunate that the earthquake was only a 3.9 magnitude and did not cause any major damage or injuries. The fact that there was a previous earthquake in the same general area raises some questions about potential future seismic activity. It would be important for residents in this area to stay informed and prepared for any future earthquakes. As for myself, I did not feel the earthquake as I am not located in that region. However, it is always a good reminder to be aware of the potential for earthquakes no matter where we live. Thank you for sharing this information.

1. What is considered a minor earthquake?

A minor earthquake is typically defined as one with a magnitude of 3.0 or lower on the Richter scale. These earthquakes may be felt by some people, but generally do not cause significant damage.

2. How close is Bar Harbor, Maine to the earthquake's epicenter?

The distance between Bar Harbor and the epicenter of the earthquake can vary depending on the magnitude and location of the earthquake. However, typically any earthquake within a 100 km radius of a location can be considered near that location.

3. How often do minor earthquakes occur near Bar Harbor, Maine?

Minor earthquakes occur relatively frequently near Bar Harbor, Maine, as it is located near a seismically active zone. However, the frequency of these earthquakes can vary and is difficult to predict.

4. Is there a risk of a larger earthquake following this minor earthquake?

It is possible for a larger earthquake to follow a minor earthquake, but it is not always the case. Smaller earthquakes can sometimes occur as a precursor to a larger one, but they can also happen independently. It is important to always be prepared for earthquakes regardless of their size.

5. What should people do if they experience a minor earthquake?

If you experience a minor earthquake, it is important to stay calm and take appropriate safety precautions. This may include dropping to the ground, taking cover under a sturdy piece of furniture, and holding on until the shaking stops. After the earthquake, check for any injuries and be aware of potential aftershocks.