What is the Culture Difference Between Physicists and Engineers?

• Thread starter PE_prep
  • Start date
PE_prep
I didn't see an introduction thread, so I started one.

My name is Tom and I have been an engineer since 1990. I am a licensed Professional Engineer in Florida.

Just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to reading more of the stuff here and, perhaps, lend a hand where I can.

I believe in Jesus!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Tom,

Nice to meet you.

I'm a polyatheist - there are many gods I don't believe in! :rofl: :wink:

Last edited:
Welcome, Tom!

(The Jesus thing isn't relevant here, though. :tongue: )

Hello, welcome to PF!
I believe in Euler!

Semi-militant atheist here, but welcome anyhow.

HI, and welcome.

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/9499/welcome38gk.gif

I am in favor of science, but welcome anyways :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Tom!

I look forward to seeing you around PF

PE_prep said:
I didn't see an introduction thread, so I started one.

My name is Tom and I have been an engineer since 1990. I am a licensed Professional Engineer in Florida.

Just wanted to say hi and that I look forward to reading more of the stuff here and, perhaps, lend a hand where I can.

I believe in Jesus!

Hey, a fellow Jesus freak! Yeah, I'm a churchoholic too...but be warned that I'm an anomaly among physicists.

Anyway, pleased to meet you Tom. I'm Arun. I graduated college last December (physics and math), and I'm starting grad school this summer to do a physics PhD. I'll likely be doing astrophysics, but I just might end up in condensed matter instead.

arunma said:
I'm Arun.

Speaking of introduction, you have a nice name. :smile:

(Assuming you're a female, of course.)

Danger said:
Semi-militant atheist here, but welcome anyhow.

haha :rofl:,

Welcome.

radou said:
Speaking of introduction, you have a nice name. :smile:

(Assuming you're a female, of course.)

Uh oh...there's been a slight miscommunication. In addition to not being female, I am highly masculine. Every moment that I do not spend in church or the physics lab, I spend at the gym, with fellow males, and doing manly activities. :rofl:

Maybe I should change my user name, because this is the third case of mistaken-gender I've experienced on a forum. Those last two letters are from my last name (user name assigned by an ISP that I have long since abandoned), but I should probably just get rid of them.

Alas, my fellow male, I share your pain due to the extreme shortage of physics girls.

Last edited:
arunma said:
I spend at the gym, with fellow males, and doing manly activities. :rofl:

And these would be? :biggrin:

arunma said:
Alas, my fellow male, I share your pain due to the extreme shortage of physics girls.

Hm, actually, the situation is not so bad in here. Could be worse. :tongue:

Is it just me or did you seriously try to blast the fact that you're a very masculine person?

No offence, but I like to keep my clothes in the closet. How about you?

We'll know what he's trying to say after he sheds some light on what is understood under "manly activity". :tongue:

whitay said:
Is it just me or did you seriously try to blast the fact that you're a very masculine person?

No offence, but I like to keep my clothes in the closet. How about you?

Heh, well I suppose I'm just trying to compensate for what is apparently a slightly feminine user name. Don't want anyone getting the wrong idea...

They already have.

whitay said:
They already have.

That can't be good. I wonder what I can do to correct it. Perhaps fifty pushups and five laps around a Fermilab's accelerator?

arunma said:
That can't be good. I wonder what I can do to correct it. Perhaps fifty pushups and five laps around a Fermilab's accelerator?

Put "Gender: Male" into your signature. :tongue:

I think we scared him away! Though given the nature of his post I had wondered if he was here to stay.

Heh, I've gotten that people on physicsforums don't really know about me :smile:

And I bet plenty of us don't go to the gym and do manly things.

mattmns said:
I think we scared him away! Though given the nature of his post I had wondered if he was here to stay.

Well, if this scared him away, I wonder what would happen if he found out about the sisterhood's "fishy" tradition?:biggrin:

Mk said:
Heh, I've gotten that people on physicsforums don't really know about me :smile:

What makes you think that? :smile:

mattmns said:

Maybe he went to our competitor, EngineeringForums*. After all, I think we can assume that this place is mostly conducive of physicists. I've also noticed a pretty significant difference in culture between physicists and engineers.

*Not necessarily a real forum

1. What is the main difference in education between physicists and engineers?

The main difference in education between physicists and engineers is their focus of study. Physicists primarily study the fundamental laws and principles of the natural world, while engineers focus on applying those laws and principles to design and build practical solutions to real-world problems.

2. Do physicists and engineers have different problem-solving approaches?

Yes, physicists and engineers often have different problem-solving approaches. Physicists tend to use a more theoretical and mathematical approach, while engineers use a more practical and hands-on approach. However, both disciplines require critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. Is there a difference in the types of research conducted by physicists and engineers?

Yes, there is a difference in the types of research conducted by physicists and engineers. Physicists typically conduct research in a laboratory setting, focusing on theoretical and experimental studies of fundamental physical phenomena. Engineers, on the other hand, conduct research in a more applied setting, working on practical solutions to specific problems.

4. Are there any differences in the work environments for physicists and engineers?

Yes, there can be differences in the work environments for physicists and engineers. Physicists often work in academic or research institutions, while engineers can work in a variety of industries such as aerospace, automotive, or technology. However, both disciplines may also work in similar environments, such as government labs or research and development departments in companies.

5. Are there any notable differences in the career paths of physicists and engineers?

While both physicists and engineers may have similar career paths in terms of education and job opportunities, there can be some notable differences. Physicists often pursue careers in academia or research, while engineers may have more opportunities in industry. Additionally, engineers may have more opportunities for advancement and higher salaries compared to physicists.