Infinite Series: sigma (2^n)+1/(2^n+1)

In summary, you are trying to find the sum of two geometric series, but are having trouble because of an error in your notation.
anderma8
i'm not quiet sure how to attack this problem:

sigma (2^n)+1/(2^(n+1))
n->1

If I start plugging in #'s for n, then I get:

n=1: 3/4
n=2: 5/8
n=3: 9/16...

by this method, I see that it's going to 1/2, but I need another way to 'see' that. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are very few series for which we have an exact formula for the sum. One for which we do is the geometric series. Can you find a way to express the above series as, say, a sum of two geometric series?

(2^n)/(2^(n+1)) + 1/(2^(n+1))

This gives me 1/2 + 1/2^(n+1) which eventually goes to zero... :-)

hence - my answer!

This series is exactly term by term: [tex]\frac{2^2+1}{2^(n+1)}=\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2^(n+1)}[/tex]

Oh! I see anderma8 got their first, before I could figure out the latex.

Last edited:
robert Ihnot - Thanks for your input though! I guess I will need to substitute numbers to get the 1/2 and see that the other side goes to 0!

Thanks! It's starting to make sense!

anderma8 said:

This is just the terms in the argument of the series. You're not asked to find the limit of the argument; you're asked to find out what the series sums to. What is a series anyway? It's a sequence of partial sums. So the sequence of which you're trying to find the limit of actually has as first 3 terms

n=2: 3/4 + 5/8
n=3: 3/4 + 5/8 + 9/16...

anderma8 said:
(2^n)/(2^(n+1)) + 1/(2^(n+1))

This gives me 1/2 + 1/2^(n+1) which eventually goes to zero... :-)

hence - my answer!

hence nada.

What you've done is you've broken the nasty looking initial formula for the argument into 1/2 + 1/2^{n+1}. You still need to evaluate

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\left(\frac{1}{2}+\frac{1}{2^{n+1}}\right)[/tex]

and give a rigourous argument as to why it diverges.P.S. I hallucinated in my first post; it's not a sum of two geometric series.

Last edited:
anderma8 said:
i'm not quiet sure how to attack this problem:

sigma (2^n)+1/(2^(n+1))
n->1

by this method, I see that it's going to 1/2, but I need another way to 'see' that. Any suggestions?

First, what you wrote is pretty close to non-sense:
"sigma (2^n)+1/(2^(n+1))
n->1"
What in the world could "n->1" mean? I assume you mean that the sum is from 1 to infinity. Second, I feel sure you mean (2^n+ 1)/2^(n+1), not what you wrote. Finally, you do NOT get
"n=1: 3/4
n=3: 9/16... "
Because that is a sum you "get" 3/4, 3/4+ 5/8= 11/8, 3/4+ 5/8+ 9/16= 21/16, ...

As several people have told you, the individual terms are (2^n+1)/2^(n+1)= 1/2+ 1/2^(n+1) so that the sequence of terms goes to 1/2 in the limit. Since that sequence does not go to 0, the sum itself does not converge.

(If you really did mean "sigma 2^n+ 1/(2^(n+1))", that's even worse since even the sequence of terms diverges!)

quasar987 & HallsofIvy,

It's late where I am, but I wanted to thank you both. I am sure I am confusing several words in my posts and I'm not ashamed to admit it. That's at least how I learn! Thanks for the clarification. I have been looking at this stuff for quite a bit of time this evening and will continue this tomorrow. I'll be printing out ur posts and try and internalize them. Again, thanks for your posts!

1. What is an infinite series?

An infinite series is a sum of an infinite number of terms. In this case, the series starts at 2^n and adds 1/(2^n+1) for each subsequent term.

2. How is the value of an infinite series determined?

The value of an infinite series is determined by adding up the values of each individual term. In this example, the value of the series would be the sum of 2^n and 1/(2^n+1) for all n values.

3. Is this infinite series convergent or divergent?

This particular series is divergent, meaning it does not have a finite value. As n approaches infinity, the terms in the series approach infinity as well, making the sum infinite.

4. Can you find a pattern in the terms of this series?

Yes, the terms in this series alternate between 2^n and 1/(2^n+1), with each term being one more than the previous term. However, this pattern does not affect the overall divergence of the series.

5. How is this infinite series used in mathematics?

Infinite series, including this one, are often used in mathematical calculations, particularly in calculus and analysis. They can also be used to model real-world phenomena, such as exponential growth or decay.