Solving (p-1)(p^n+1)=4m(m+1) for odd primes p and positive integers m and n

In summary, the problem asks for all pairs of positive integers (m,n) where m and n are odd where m and n are both integers and m is not even. The problem states that m must be odd and the square root of m must also be odd. However, for m to be an integer, the square root must also be an integer. If m is even, then (p-1)(p^n+1) must be a perfect square, which cannot be true. However, if m is odd, then (p-1)(p^n+1) can be divisible by 4, and this is what the problem asks for.
Gib Z
Homework Helper
This isn't homework, but an interest question I found on the web. I can't solve it though...

Let [itex]p[/itex] be an odd prime. Determine all pairs [itex](m,n)[/itex] where m and n are positive integers and satisfy the below:

[tex](p-1)(p^n+1)=4m(m+1)[/tex].

I have done by some simple inspection that m must be odd, but I'm not sure that helps. Does anyone know any theorems that may help?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have made a tiny bit of progress I think.

I Make it a quadratic and solved:
[tex]m=\frac{-1\pm \sqrt{1-(p-1)(p^n+1)}}{2}[/tex].

Since m must be odd, 2m must be even. So the numerator must be even. So the square root must be odd. But for m to be an integer, the square root must also be an integer. So I get [itex]1-(p-1)(p^n+1)[/itex] must be a perfect square. How Do i continue?EDIT: Looking again...that can't be right because (p-1)(p^n+1) must be less than one, or exactly 1. It can't be less than one for obvious reasons, and it can't be exactly 1 either.

EDIT2 : Solved quadratic wrong..Ill try again

Last edited:
Ok so the actual solution to the quadratic is
[tex]m=\frac{-1\pm \sqrt{1+(p-1)(p^n+1)}}{2}[/tex], sign error...

Well the numerator must be even, so the square root must be odd. So to be an integer, 1+(p-1)(p^n+1) must be the square of an odd number, so of the form (2k+1)^2 where k is some integer. So (p-1)(p^n+1)=4k^2+4k, so (p-1)(p^n+1) must be divisible by 4.

Can anyone help me from here?

I Just realized now that I did Nothing. Nothing at all. The result I achieved can be done by dividing the original questions equation by 4...

Alternatively, p-1 is even, p^n + 1 is even, so it must be divisible by four. So the equation doesn't even force the issue, just the way that (p-1)(p^n + 1) works

where did u find it?

It was on some other forums but no solution was found there either, and the thread was closed for some reason..

Well, solutions do exist (if p=5, m=2 n=1). Interestingly, this disproves your m is odd claim (which seemed, well... odd to me, considering m+1 would always be even then).

how is m always odd?

[tex](p-1)(p^n+1)=4m(m+1)[/tex]

if p is odd, then p - 1 is even. since p^n is always odd (i checked it using a C++ program :) ), then the expression p^n - 1 is even. even times even is even. so, in order for the whole thing to be equal, the right side must be even. if you put m as even, then you get (even)*(odd) which equals even.If you put m as odd, then you still get an even right side.

Office_Shredder said:
Well, solutions do exist (if p=5, m=2 n=1). Interestingly, this disproves your m is odd claim (which seemed, well... odd to me, considering m+1 would always be even then).
I sometimes wonder whether the poster is playing games with his posts. Anyway, a solution for every odd prime is n = 1 and m = (p-1)/2 so m can be both odd or even. In fact this solution works for every odd composite p as well, but that is precluded in the statement of the problem.

Jesus Christ..sorry I haven't replied guys But I worked out the full solution in case anyones interested :)

[tex](p-1)(p^n+1)=4m(m+1)[/tex]
[tex]p^{n+1}-p^n+p = 4m(m+1) + 1 = (2m+1)^2[/tex]

Let k be some odd number, since of the form 2m+1

[tex]]p^{n+1}-p^n+p=k^2[/tex]

For n=1, solving for m gives the solution given by ramsey. For n > 1, assume it has solutions. Then P divides K. Then divide both sides by p^2. That gives p^(n-1) - p^(n-3) + 1/(p) = k^2/(p^2) = (k/p)^2

Since it is implied P divides k, the RHS should be an integer, but the LHS is not. Done.

What is Number Theory?

Number Theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers. It involves studying patterns and structures in numbers, as well as solving equations and problems related to numbers.

Why is Number Theory important?

Number Theory is important because it has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, computer science, and physics. It also helps us to better understand the fundamental properties of numbers and their behavior, which can lead to further advancements in mathematics and other areas of study.

What are some common problems in Number Theory?

Some common problems in Number Theory include prime factorization, finding the greatest common divisor, and solving Diophantine equations. These problems have real-world applications and are also important for developing a deeper understanding of number properties.

How can I find solutions in Number Theory?

Finding solutions in Number Theory involves using various mathematical tools and techniques such as algebra, geometry, and number theory theorems. It also requires logical thinking and problem-solving skills. With practice and persistence, you can improve your ability to find solutions in Number Theory.

What are some resources for learning more about Number Theory?

There are many books, online courses, and educational websites that offer resources for learning Number Theory. Some universities also offer courses specifically focused on Number Theory. Additionally, attending conferences and workshops can provide valuable insights and networking opportunities in this field.