How to find the acceleration of 2 objects under same force

In summary, using the equation F=ma, we can determine that the ratio of masses m1/m2 is 0.333. When the masses m1 and m2 are combined into one object, the acceleration under the action of force F is 3/4 m/s^2.
~christina~
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A force F to an object m1 produces an acceleration of 3m/s^2. The same force is applied to a second object of mass m2 produces an acceleration of 1.00m/s^2

a.) value ratio of m1/m2

b.) If m1 and m2 are combined into 1 object, what is the acceleration under the action of force [tex]\vec{} F [/tex]?

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

a.) m1/m2= a2/a1

m1/m2= 1.00m/s^2/ 3.00m/s^2

b.) for b I'm not sure what they mean by combine the masses but m1 + m2 = ?

I'm not sure if I can just combine the accelerations since they are vector quantities but mass is scalar so it can be combined...

I need help with part b.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a, don't forget that the units cancel out.
For part b, solve for m1 and m2 in terms of F. Then you put (m1+m2) in terms of F, which you plug back into F=ma, then solve for a.

well for part
a) m1/m2= .333

b) F= m1(3.00m/s^2)
m1= F/(3.00m/s^2)
F= m2(1.00m/s^2)
m2= F/(1.00m/s^2)

m1 + m2= F/(3.00m/s^2) + F/ (1.00m/s^2) = F/(3.00m/s^2) + 3F/(3.00m/s^2) = 4F/(3.00m/s^2)

then if I did that right..I plug that into F=ma...

F=ma
F= 4F/3.00m/s^2 * a

3.00m/s^2(F)= 4F*a
a= (3.00m/s^2)(F)/4F

Is this fine??

The F's cancel, and its neater if you write 3/4 m/s^2, imo. But yes, that's right

Oh..okay..Thank You =D

1. What is acceleration and why is it important to calculate?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is important to calculate because it helps us understand how fast an object is moving and in which direction.

2. Can two objects have different accelerations under the same force?

Yes, two objects can have different accelerations under the same force. This is because acceleration also depends on the mass of the object. Heavier objects will have a lower acceleration compared to lighter objects under the same force.

3. How do you calculate the acceleration of 2 objects under the same force?

To calculate the acceleration of 2 objects under the same force, you need to know the mass of each object and the net force acting on them. Then, you can use the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, while velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion. In other words, acceleration measures how an object's velocity is changing, while velocity measures the object's speed and direction at a specific moment.

5. Can the acceleration of 2 objects under the same force be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of 2 objects under the same force can be negative. This means that the objects are decelerating or moving in the opposite direction of the applied force. It is important to consider the direction of the force and the object's initial velocity when determining the sign of acceleration.