What features should a calculus calculator have?

In summary, Seth is looking for a calculator that can do the following: -Compute fractional and decimal form -Solve for unknown variables algebraically -Compute derivatives and antiderivatives, both definately and indefinitely -Have a password protected as a theft deterrent -Have a USB or similar connection for updates, hacking, etc... -Be a MP3 player, digital camera, cell phone, flash drive, and GPS navigator -Have a chart for comparing calculator functionality, both graphing and non graphing or both
Siress
Read this with your humor in tact, as it's a light hearted question that I would like to have analyzed by the masses that frequent this board. I appreciate all input.

Homework Statement

I've been calculator shopping and the packages fail to list important details on frequent occasions. I want a non-graphing, scientific calculator that I'm most likely allowed to use on my tests with the following abilities:
  • Answer in fractional or decimal form
  • Trigonometric identities in both degree and radian form
  • Solve for unknown variables algebraically
  • Compute derivatives and antiderivatives, both definately and indefinitely.
  • Password protected as a theft deterrent
  • USB or similar connection for updates, hacking, etc...
  • Mp3 player, digital camera, cell phone, flash drive, and GPS navigator functionality...while I'm dreaming.

Homework Equations

Currently using the TI-30Xiis I bought back in middle school and my love, the TI-89 Titanium. MATLAB, if that counts...but I can't very well carry it around with me. Think my professors would allow me to use a calculator I craft myself? haha, no. I asked.

The Attempt at a Solution

Casio FX-115w - which disappoints me

THANKS!
-Seth

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're going to find a non-graphing calculator that does much of that.

Only time you should consider a new calculator is when you get into Calculus 3. Till then, use your head.

I have my head, I want to shorten the time it takes to compute fractions, double check my derivatives and antiderivatives, and speed up my test taking in general.

Is there a good chart for comparing calculator functionality, both graphing and non graphing or both?

Have you ever used the TI-89 to compute an Integral? You'd be surprised how different your answers will compare, pretty useless if you just want to compute derivatives and integrals.

Yes I have. It's most useful for definite integration but the indefinite integration usually matches perfectly with my answer unless there are trig. identities present...then again I rarely compute, much less compare, such things.

I recently installed ME Pro, TiReader, and a few helpful programs for Chemistry (The periodic table is awesome! Normal stuff plus the radius, e-negativity, density, boiling/melting point, standard state...wish I had it before I finished my Chem courses!)

Any little known programs worth mentioning? I'd love to have the step-by-step derivative/integral solver, but not enough to shell out $20+ bucks for it (or the $150 that ti89.com charges...) I'm interested in anything engineering, statistical, or economic related.

1. What is the best calculator for calculus?

The best calculator for calculus is one that can perform all the necessary functions and operations required for solving calculus problems. This includes basic arithmetic, trigonometric functions, logarithms, and calculus-specific functions like derivatives and integrals. A graphing calculator is also recommended for visualizing functions and their graphs.

2. Do I need a specific type of calculator for calculus?

While any calculator with basic arithmetic functions can be used for simple calculus problems, a graphing calculator is highly recommended for more complex problems in calculus. It allows for a more visual understanding of functions and their graphs, making it easier to solve problems and check answers.

3. Can I use a calculator on exams and tests for calculus?

It depends on the specific exam or test. Some may allow the use of a calculator, while others may not. It is important to check with your instructor or exam guidelines to see if a calculator is allowed.

4. Is it worth investing in a more expensive calculator for calculus?

It ultimately depends on your personal preference and needs. A more expensive calculator may have more advanced features and capabilities, but a cheaper one may still be sufficient for solving calculus problems. Consider your budget and the level of calculus you will be studying before making a decision.

5. Can I use a calculator for calculus to replace understanding the concepts?

No, a calculator should not be used as a replacement for understanding the concepts in calculus. It is meant to be a tool to assist in solving problems, not a substitute for understanding the underlying concepts. It is important to have a solid grasp on the concepts before relying on a calculator for problem-solving.