Alejandro's new paper on the arxiv

In summary: Well, time ago before the "university affiliation" rule, very speculative or poor papers in the arxiv were detected and removed by hand. It seems that the admins felt no very good about doing this -it is a personal, referee like, criteria, after all-, so they decided to move them to /physics.general (denying crosspost at the same time, by the way) instead of plainly rejecting them. While the new rules do not imply a continuity in this tradition, they seem to suggest that old posters of /physics will be still able to upload new papers to the .general area, and if they are given "endorser" status, they will also be able to authorize new users
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
this just out

posted by one of our locals from the PF hood: arivero

Congratulations! Way to go!

part of the paper was first presented in a PF thread by arivero
or rather he explored the ideas here that then contributed to
developing the paper

http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0404086
"Some minor examples on discrete geometry"
Alejandro Rivero
Tue, 20 Apr 2004
3 pages

Assuming a minimum value for area measurement, the emergence of quantum mechanics can be easily motivated from naive consideration of gravitational force. Here we provide some pedagogical examples and extensions.
At the same time, the role of Planck mass is shown to be of some theoretical influence even at low energies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
He even cites physicsforums in the references
And marcus, you are also cited in the text!

Last edited:
meteor said:
He even cites physicsforums in the references
And marcus, you are also cited in the text!

that was nice of him, I did not have anything to do with developing the ideas I just enjoyed them when they appeared on that thread. I will try to find the thread

it was Alejandro's "kepler length" thread

"kepler length"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=14007

I think it has some of the same ideas as the paper

it begins with a kind of riddle, which I remember answering
(this displeased Alejandro, so he edited in some space so
that readers would not see the answer in the next post and so
they would have a chance to think about it for themselves: a good idea too)

Yep, Marcus (et al), the note is a straight translation of two PF threads. While it is not high research, I thought that it was a interesting exchange, and not every gr-qc reader reads physicsforums.

And no, I was not displeased by your fast answer... Simply I understood that if you are living most of the internet here between PF and the arxiv, probably you were missing some old e-traditions about spoilers :-)

(I hope not to raise a bad precedent. If some "theory development" poster is tempted to go this way, let me note that only the http://arxiv.org/archive/physics was traditionally available for this purpose, all the others being banned)

?

arivero said:
Yep, Marcus (et al), the note is a straight translation of two PF threads. While it is not high research, I thought that it was a interesting exchange, and not every gr-qc reader reads physicsforums.

And no, I was not displeased by your fast answer... Simply I understood that if you are living most of the internet here between PF and the arxiv, probably you were missing some old e-traditions about spoilers :-)

(I hope not to raise a bad precedent. If some "theory development" poster is tempted to go this way, let me note that only the http://arxiv.org/archive/physics was traditionally available for this purpose, all the others being banned)

I simply do not understand this last paragraph, perhaps because I do not read archive/physics. Does this means that /physics has different rules tradition or "culture" than /gr-qc or/quant-ph? If so, what is the difference? I am confused. TIA for enlightening me. Jim Graber

jgraber said:
I simply do not understand this last paragraph, perhaps because I do not read archive/physics. Does this means that /physics has different rules tradition or "culture" than /gr-qc or/quant-ph? If so, what is the difference? I am confused. TIA for enlightening me. Jim Graber

Well, time ago before the "university affiliation" rule, very speculative or poor papers in the arxiv were detected and removed by hand. It seems that the admins felt no very good about doing this -it is a personal, referee like, criteria, after all-, so they decided to move them to /physics.general (denying crosspost at the same time, by the way) instead of plainly rejecting them.

While the new rules do not imply a continuity in this tradition, they seem to suggest that old posters of /physics will be still able to upload new papers to the .general area, and if they are given "endorser" status, they will also be able to authorize new users into this section of the arxiv. So one could expect the tradition to perpetuate, even if now it is not manually enforced anymore.

Thanks, I had never heard any of that. Jim Graber

1. What is the main idea of Alejandro's new paper?

Alejandro's new paper explores the relationship between climate change and biodiversity loss in tropical rainforests.

2. What are the key findings of Alejandro's research?

Alejandro's research found that as temperatures rise due to climate change, the diversity of species in tropical rainforests decreases.

3. How did Alejandro conduct his research?

Alejandro used data from previous studies and conducted his own field research in various tropical rainforest locations to collect data on temperature and species diversity.

4. What are the implications of Alejandro's findings?

Alejandro's findings suggest that climate change poses a significant threat to the biodiversity of tropical rainforests, which could have far-reaching consequences for the ecosystem and human populations.

5. What are the next steps for Alejandro's research?

Alejandro's research opens up new avenues for further study on the specific mechanisms behind the relationship between climate change and biodiversity loss in tropical rainforests, and potential solutions for mitigating this impact.