Converging / Diverging - What is it?

• Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Converging
In summary, the conversation is about understanding the concepts of convergence and divergence in relation to improper integrals. The concept revolves around limits, where if the limit approaches a specific number, the integral is said to converge, and if it does not, it diverges. The conversation also gives an example of solving an improper integral and explains how to determine whether it converges or diverges.
Goldenwind
[SOLVED] Converging / Diverging - What is it?

/boggle.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wtf ? LOL

Studying "improper integrals". Apparently, when you use the limit (The "improper" part), the result tells you something about it being converging or diverging, and if converging, it "converges" at a point.

I haven't a clue what the hell my book is talking about.
The alcohol probably isn't helping either :)

LOL, post your question. I haven't worked these type of problems in a long timeee. Would be nice to review some.

I don't really have any specific questions that I need this for, it's just so I understand.

For your own sake, one of the ones in the back is...
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{1 + x^2} dx[/tex]

Convergence and divergance basically revolve around limits. Are you studying integrals, or series and sequences? With improper integrals(which I think you are studying), all you need to to is find the limit of the eqaution; if it does dot approach a specific number as n approaches infinity it diverges, and if it does, then it converges. Consider the equation: Itegral (from 1 to infinity) of ((1/x) dx). Taking the integral of this gives you the lim as t approaches infinity of (ln(x)|(from 1 to t). (t=infinity). This equals the lim as t approaches infinity of (ln(t) - ln(1)) which = ln(t). If increasing numbers are placed into the ln() the overall number will increase until infinity is reached, meaning the equation is divergent (no limit). I am sorry i cannot make these equations out in paper written form (im new to this internet forum stuff). Hope it helps!

Figured it out. In case anyone else needs the answer, when you take the limit, if it goes to infinity or otherwise does not exist, it diverges.

If it does not, the limit will reduce to some sort of term. In this case, the function "converges" at that term.

1. What is converging and diverging in science?

Converging and diverging in science refer to the behavior of light or other electromagnetic radiation as it interacts with objects. Converging refers to when light rays come together and meet at a single point, while diverging refers to when light rays spread out.

2. How is converging and diverging used in experiments?

Converging and diverging can be used in experiments to manipulate light and focus it on a specific point. This is helpful in experiments that involve microscopy, lasers, and other optical instruments.

3. What is the difference between converging and diverging lenses?

Converging lenses are thicker in the middle and thinner at the edges, causing light rays to come together at a focal point. Diverging lenses, on the other hand, are thinner in the middle and thicker at the edges, causing light rays to spread out.

4. How do converging and diverging affect vision?

Converging and diverging play a crucial role in vision. The lens in our eye uses converging to focus light onto the retina, allowing us to see objects clearly. Diverging also plays a role in our vision by helping to adjust the focus of objects at different distances.

5. Can converging and diverging be observed in nature?

Yes, converging and diverging can be observed in nature. For example, when you see a rainbow, you are witnessing the refraction and dispersion of light through water droplets, causing converging and diverging light rays. Other natural phenomena, such as mirages and the reflection of light off of water, also involve converging and diverging.