Question about masses and particles(modern physics)

• Thread starter tarekkkkk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the mass of a system of particles is not equal to the sum of the masses of individual particles. This is because in a system of freely moving particles, there may be empty spaces where the particles have not yet filled, resulting in a total mass that is different from the sum of individual masses. The formula for the mass of a system in this case is M = M(holes) + M(moving particles) + M(particles at rest). Additionally, the total mass can be calculated using the formula M = k.e + p.e, where p.e is potential energy and k.e is kinetic energy.
tarekkkkk
if a system of particles is composed of n freely moving particles .is the mass of this system qual to the sum of the masses of the individual particles ?
well of course no but the idea is those particles if they are freely moving so there is empty spaces and if there an empty space that those particles didnt complete the total mass of the system so i think M(s)= M(holes) + M(particles that are moving) +M(particles that are at rest) please tell me what I am missing here thank you...

Physics news on Phys.org
ok now what can i do hmm PLEASE HELP...

sorry i was talking bla bla but the answer is E=k.e+p.e ,p.e=... ,k.e=... from those u can get M=km hahahah see...

1. What is the difference between mass and weight in modern physics?

In modern physics, mass is a fundamental property of matter that measures the amount of matter in an object. It is a fixed quantity that does not change with location or environment. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object and can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

2. How are particles classified in modern physics?

In modern physics, particles are classified based on their intrinsic properties, such as mass, spin, and charge. They are grouped into two categories: fermions, which have half-integer spin, and bosons, which have integer spin.

3. What is the significance of the Higgs boson in modern physics?

The Higgs boson is a fundamental particle that is responsible for giving mass to other particles. Its discovery in 2012 confirmed the existence of the Higgs field, which is believed to be responsible for giving all particles their mass.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence apply in modern physics?

In modern physics, mass and energy are considered to be two forms of the same entity, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2. This means that mass can be converted into energy and vice versa, and the total amount of mass-energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. How has our understanding of mass and particles changed with the development of modern physics?

Our understanding of mass and particles has greatly evolved with the development of modern physics. The discovery of subatomic particles, the development of quantum mechanics, and the confirmation of the Higgs boson have all contributed to a deeper understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and their properties.