Comparing Vertical Velocities of Identical Balls Thrown from Different Heights

• Thread starter student 1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, both balls have the same velocity just before they strike the ground due to the fact that the acceleration and distance they are from the initial throw are the same. This can be demonstrated using the constant-acceleration kinematic equations, specifically the equations for final and initial velocities, final and initial positions, and the squared velocities.
student 1

Homework Statement

A person standing on top of a building of height H throws a ball vertically upward with initial velocity Vj. He then throws an identical ball vertically downward with initial velocity -Vj. Compare the velocities of the two balls just before they strike the ground. Write equations to explain your reasoning.

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi+At
Yf=Yi+Vit-At^2
Acceleration=-9.8 m/s^2
Velocity at time T=4.9t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that at the point when the first ball gets back to y=0 the velocities are the same. I do not know how to keep comparing them to show the balls are the same just before they hit the ground. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll be bettor off using other constant acceleration equations involving initial and final velocities and the acceleration and distance since you don't have the time in this question. It should then become obvious.

I don't know what equations to use if I don't use these. The teacher said this is all you would need but if there is a more simple way I'm willing to use it!

Hi student 1,

I think there are some inaccuracies with your relevant equations. You have:

student 1 said:

Homework Equations

Vf=Vi+At
Yf=Yi+Vit-At^2
Acceleration=-9.8 m/s^2
Velocity at time T=4.9t^2

The first and third are okay. You're missing a factor in the second equation, and the fourth equation is wrong. These should be:

[tex]
\begin{align}
v_f &= v_i + a t \nonumber\\
y_f &= y_i + v_i t + \frac{1}{2} a t^2\nonumber\\
a &= - 9.8 \mbox{ m/s$^2$ for free fall near Earth's surface}\nonumber
\end{align}
[/tex]

The other equation that Kurdt mentioned that is very useful for these problems is

[tex]
v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2 a (\Delta y)
[/tex]

There are 2 more constant-acceleration kinematic equations (and sometimes they are very helpful) but often the textbooks present these as the main three to use.

Alright, so the velocity of both balls due to the squared velocities= Simply the same thing because acceleration and the distance they are from where the object was thrown are the same for both balls.

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of two objects?

The formula for calculating the velocity of two objects is v = (x2 - x1) / (t2 - t1), where v is the velocity, x2 and x1 are the positions of the objects at two different times, and t2 and t1 are the corresponding times.

2. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of an object's motion, while speed is a scalar quantity that only measures the magnitude of an object's motion.

3. Can the velocity of two objects be the same?

Yes, the velocity of two objects can be the same if they have the same magnitude and direction of motion. This is known as a shared velocity or a common velocity.

4. How does the velocity of an object affect its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of an object is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the velocity of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Conversely, if the velocity decreases, the kinetic energy decreases as well.

5. Can two objects have different velocities but the same kinetic energy?

Yes, two objects can have different velocities but the same kinetic energy if their masses are different. Kinetic energy also depends on an object's mass, so objects with different masses can have the same kinetic energy if their velocities are appropriately adjusted.