Vector Components and Resultant Vectors: A Homework Challenge

In summary, Scottzilla found that he was not able to solve an equation that he was working on, and he needed help from someone else. He labeled each vector as A, B, C, and D, figured the components of each, and found that his resultant vector was in the third quadrant. He then used pythagorean theorum to do radicand (-129.9 squared)+(-201.8 squared) which gave him 154.4. However, he was not able to solve the equation using this result, so he asked for help from his instructor. His instructor told him that the answer was 237 degrees.
scottzilla

Homework Statement

A person follows the path outlined below. 100m east, then 300m south then 150m 30 degrees south of west, then 200m 60 degrees north of east.

Homework Equations

I used component vectoring and have not been coming up with the resultant answer that the instructor has outlined.

The Attempt at a Solution

I label each vector as A, B, C, and D. Then figure the components of each: Ax=100 Ay=0, Bx=0 By=-300, Cx-129.9 Cy=-75, and Dx=-100 and Dy 173.2. This gives me Rx- -129.9 and Ry= 201.8. I then use pythagorean theorum to do radicand (-129.9 squared)+(-201.8 squared) which gives me 154.4. Yet ther instructor shows his answer as 240. I also then do angle theta =Tan-1(-201.8/-129.9) which gives me tan-1(1.553) wihch gives me the answer 57.2, but the instructor gives me the answer 237 degrees.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel I am getting hte hang of it except for this type of question.

Thanks in advance,

Scottzilla

Physics news on Phys.org
scottzilla said:
...then 200m 60 degrees north of east.

... Dx=-100 and Dy 173.2.

I think I see the problem. What quadrant is vector D in? (Incidentally, I don't see how your instructor gets their answer, either. I'm wondering if they misinterpreted one of the directions, for C or D...)

Crud, sorry it should read 60 degrees north of West. My fault, hope this can help you figure it out. Thanks for taking a look at it so far though:) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scottzilla

In that case, this is correct:

scottzilla said:
I label each vector as A, B, C, and D. Then figure the components of each: Ax=100 Ay=0, Bx=0 By=-300, Cx-129.9 Cy=-75, and Dx=-100 and Dy 173.2. This gives me Rx- -129.9 and Ry= -201.8.

But I will ask you how you got the hypotenuse to be smaller than one of the sides...

I then use pythagorean theorum to do radicand (-129.9 squared)+(-201.8 squared) which gives me 154.4.

Mayhap there was a calculator entry error: you should get your instructor's result now...

I also then do angle theta =Tan-1(-201.8/-129.9) which gives me tan-1(1.553) wihch gives me the answer 57.2, but the instructor gives me the answer 237 degrees.

Inverse trig functions constantly reveal the danger of trusting a calculator... Your tangent is calculated correctly. But what quadrant is your resultant vector in? How many angles can have the same tangent value? What other angle has a tangent of 1.553?

Thanks, I got it now. If I had just looked at my diagram it would have become clear to me. Being in quadrant III means it would be what my calculator got (57.2) but I should have added 180 degrees, correct? Sorry about not following your explanation completely but I have never had trig or geometry. I am learning them as I go through this class:)

Scottzilla

When you have picked up enough trigonometry, you'll learn that there are (generally) two angles in the cycle from 0º to 360º which have the same values for sine, cosine, and tangent. If you reverse the question to ask what angle has a particular value of one of these functions, you have two answers (usually) then. But a mathematical function can only give one "output" value for a chosen "input" value and a calculator can only work with functions.

So the "inverse trig functions" -- arcsine, arccosine, arctangent, etc. -- are created by restricting their "outputs": arcsine and arctangent only give values from -90º to +90º and arccosine only gives values from 0º to 180º. However, real problems can lead to angles in any of the four quadrants, so the user of calculators or software has to know how to interpret the "output" from a requested function. In your problem, the resultant vector points into the third quadrant, but arctangent can only provide results in the fourth or first. When that happens, knowing that the output is in the "wrong" quadrant, you have to take the value of the arctangent and add 180º to it. (There are similar, but different, manipulations for arcsine and arccosine.)

Thanks, I am getting the hang of it now.

Scottzilla

What are vector components?

Vector components are the individual parts of a vector that represent its magnitude and direction. These components can be added together to find the resultant vector.

How do you add vector components?

To add vector components, you must first break down each vector into its horizontal and vertical components. Then, you can add the horizontal components together and the vertical components together to find the resultant vector.

What is the purpose of adding vector components?

The purpose of adding vector components is to find the resultant vector, which represents the overall magnitude and direction of the vectors being added together. This is useful in many fields, such as physics and engineering.

Can vector components be subtracted?

Yes, vector components can be subtracted just like they can be added. This is done by subtracting the individual components of one vector from the corresponding components of another vector.

Are there any shortcuts for adding vector components?

Yes, there are some shortcuts for adding vector components, such as using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector or using trigonometric functions to find the direction of the resultant vector. However, it is important to understand the basic method of adding vector components in order to use these shortcuts correctly.