Alternating Series and P-series convergence

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of a series involving alternating terms and a p-series. It is determined that the series converges using the alternating series test, but does not converge absolutely using the p-series test. Therefore, the series converges conditionally.
kylera
Alternating Series and P-series "convergence"

I couldn't resist trying out a pun. Anyway, onto the question:

Homework Statement

Test the series for convergence/divergence:
[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=1}\frac{-1^{n-1}}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

Alternating Series Test and possibly p-series test...

The Attempt at a Solution

The expression for an alternating series goes as a(n) = (-1)^(n-1) * b(n). Having said that, it's obvious that b(n) is

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]

which can be re-written as [tex]\frac{1}{n^\frac{1}{2}}[/tex]. But by the rules of the p-series, since 0.5 is obviously lesser than 1, I came to the conclusion that the series diverges. Instead, the answer states that the series does indeed converge. Can anyone help shed some light in this?

Physics news on Phys.org

I think for the p-series test, the numerator must be '1' only.

Forget the p-series test. Concentrate on the alternating series test. b(n) is decreasing towards 0. Sorry, I don't get the 'pun'. Am I being thick?

Dick said:
Sorry, I don't get the 'pun'. Am I being thick?

I don't think you are since I don't get it either.

Well usually for the p-series test, the only examples with fractions I've ever seen is where the function is in the form

[tex]\frac{1}{f(n)}[/tex]

rock.freak667 said:
Well usually for the p-series test, the only examples with fractions I've ever seen is where the function is in the form

[tex]\frac{1}{f(n)}[/tex]

Sure, in fact, it applies only to series of the form 1/n^p or n^(p). I wasn't saying you were wrong. It's useful here if you want to discuss absolute convergence. It is useless for the given function.

The "p-series" only applies to positive series. That's why Dick says it is useful to discuss absolute convergence. If your series has both positive and negative terms then it may converge "conditionally". It will converge absolutely only if the series of absolute values converges.

By the "alternating series test", the series
[tex]\sum \frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}[/tex]
converges.

By the "p- series test"
[tex]\sum \left|\frac{(-1)^n}{\sqrt{n}}\right|= \sum \frac{1}{\sqrt{n}}= \sum \frac{1}{n^{1/2}}[/tex]
does NOT converge and so the original series converges conditionally, not absolutely.

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a series in which the signs of the terms alternate between positive and negative. This means that the terms in the series go back and forth between being added and subtracted.

2. How can I determine if an alternating series converges?

An alternating series can be tested for convergence using the alternating series test, which states that if the absolute value of the terms in the series decreases and approaches zero as n increases, then the series is convergent.

3. What is a p-series?

A p-series is a series of the form 1/n^p, where p is a positive real number. These types of series are known as p-series because the exponent p is the variable that determines whether the series converges or diverges.

4. How are p-series and alternating series different?

The main difference between p-series and alternating series is that p-series have a constant pattern in their terms (1/n^p) while alternating series have a changing pattern in their signs (+ and -). Additionally, the convergence tests for these two types of series are different.

5. What is the convergence test for p-series?

The convergence test for p-series is called the p-series test, which states that if p>1, then the series converges, and if p<=1, then the series diverges. This means that the value of p is crucial in determining the convergence or divergence of a p-series.