What is the temperature at which Fahrenheit and Celsius are equal?

• Thread starter Dan Monaghan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary, the question asks at what temperature Fahrenheit and Celsius have the same numerical value, and the answer is -40 degrees. This can be found by equating the two scales and solving for the unknown temperature.
Dan Monaghan
I'm doing some problems for physics at the end of one the chapters and I get to a question that asks
"At what temperature does Fahrenheit and Celsius have the same numerical value?"

Now the answer is -40, but I'm not sure how this answer was established. Between class, lab and study time, I've been pouring over physics for the last 7 hours and I'm toasted. I have a feeling that the answer is pretty simple, but I can't seem to get it. Does anybody have any answers?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well you just have to equate the temperature in one scale to the formula for conversion in the other scale and solve the unknown, right?

from Dan Monaghan:
I get to a question that asks
"At what temperature does Fahrenheit and Celsius have the same numerical value?"

That is simple first-year high school Algebra. You barely need any physics knowledge at all. F: fahrenheit, water boils at ~212, freezes at ~32. C: Celsius, water boils at 100, freezes at 0. Find the linear equation.

F = (9/5)C + 32
We're looking for an F where F = C, so

F = (9/5)F + 32

-(4/5)F = 32

F = -32 * 5/4

F = -40

So at -40 degrees the Celsius value is the same as the Fahrenheit value.

What causes our brain to feel "fried"?

Our brain can feel "fried" or mentally exhausted due to a combination of factors such as stress, lack of sleep, poor nutrition, and overstimulation from technology.

How can I prevent my brain from feeling "fried"?

To prevent your brain from feeling "fried", it is important to practice self-care and prioritize activities that promote mental well-being. This includes getting enough sleep, eating a balanced diet, engaging in stress-relieving activities, and taking breaks from technology.

What are the consequences of having a "fried" brain?

A "fried" brain can lead to impaired cognitive function, difficulty concentrating and making decisions, mood swings, and decreased productivity. It can also increase the risk of developing mental health disorders such as anxiety and depression.

How long does it take for a "fried" brain to recover?

The time it takes for a "fried" brain to recover can vary depending on the individual and the severity of the exhaustion. It can take a few days to a few weeks, but incorporating healthy habits and reducing stressors can help accelerate the recovery process.

When should I seek professional help for my "fried" brain?

If you are experiencing severe and persistent symptoms of a "fried" brain, it may be beneficial to seek professional help from a therapist or doctor. They can provide personalized strategies and support to help improve your mental well-being.