Shaft hertzian contact stress?

In summary: Yes, this is a reasonable assumption. Using Roark's formula would result in a much lower Kd, but it is still definable.
servaa
Hello

I am trying to calculate contact stress for a shaft on a hole. The purpose of this calculation is to see if the diaphram on which the hole exists is thick enough to handle the shaft radial load. Easiest approximation would be to use a simple formula for bearing stress (stress = force / (t*d)), but more accurate approximation is required.

A formula for cylinder on a cylinder seems to be available from many different sources, but I can't find a formula for cylinder in a cylindrical hole. The closest thing I've come up with is from Roark's Formulas 7th Edition Ch.14.4 Table 14.1 Case 2.c "cylinder in a cylindrical socket", but this equation results in a zero denominator if the cylinder and hole diameters are equal.

Can anyone help me with this..?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
I might not quite get what you're saying, but if the cylinder and the hole have the same diameter why would the hole have any stress on it's inner diameter? Are you talking about a press fit of some sort?

I guess I should've explained my question more clearly: a shaft is under radial load on one end, and is supported radially on the other end by a hole in a plate. I believe the plate will be under some contact stress, and it will fail if it is too thin..? The fit between the shaft and the hole is a close running fit.

A picture would really help a lot.

servaa said:
Hello

I am trying to calculate contact stress for a shaft on a hole. The purpose of this calculation is to see if the diaphram on which the hole exists is thick enough to handle the shaft radial load. Easiest approximation would be to use a simple formula for bearing stress (stress = force / (t*d)), but more accurate approximation is required.

A formula for cylinder on a cylinder seems to be available from many different sources, but I can't find a formula for cylinder in a cylindrical hole. The closest thing I've come up with is from Roark's Formulas 7th Edition Ch.14.4 Table 14.1 Case 2.c "cylinder in a cylindrical socket", but this equation results in a zero denominator if the cylinder and hole diameters are equal.

Can anyone help me with this..?

Thanks

It sounds like from what you are describing, a cylindrical hole with a rod in it with a tight fit (such that the diameters are equal) and an end load, would behave as a cantilevered beam.

CS

Personally I think you are over complicating this. I would think that the bearing stress/tear out stress is what you really need.

You shouldn't run into a 0 in the denominator for Kd because the two diameters are not equal. Kd may be very large, but it is definable.

Here's a picture of the problem. The shaft is supported at two points by diaphragm 1 & 2, and a downward force is applied at the left end of the shaft. The point of interest is whether the diaphragm is strong enough to handle contact stress between itself and the shaft, not how the shaft would behave.

I have decided to use the formula in Roark's with an assumption that shaft diameter is ~99% of the hole diameter. I guess this would be a conservative approximation, and Kd will not be infinite. Would this be a reasonable assumption?

Attachments

• tempp.JPG
    tempp.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 535

1. What is Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress?

Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress is the amount of force per unit area that is exerted on the surface of a shaft when another object is in contact with it. It is a measure of the pressure at the point where the two surfaces meet.

2. How is Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress calculated?

The calculation of Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress involves several variables such as the geometry of the shaft and the applied load. It can be calculated using the Hertzian Contact Stress equation, which takes into account the radius of curvature of the two surfaces, the modulus of elasticity of the materials, and the applied load.

3. What factors influence Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress?

The amount of Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress is influenced by various factors such as the material properties of the two surfaces, the geometry of the shaft, the applied load, and the speed of rotation. Surface roughness and lubrication also play a role in determining the level of contact stress.

4. Why is Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress important?

Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress is an important factor to consider in mechanical design and engineering. It can help determine the strength and durability of a shaft under different operating conditions. Excessive contact stress can lead to failure of the shaft, while insufficient contact stress may result in poor performance or premature wear.

5. How can Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress, such as using materials with higher strength and hardness, increasing the diameter of the shaft, or decreasing the applied load. Using lubrication and improving surface finish can also help reduce contact stress. Proper design and engineering techniques are crucial in minimizing the effects of Shaft Hertzian Contact Stress.