Rice Pudding and other things that are wrong

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary: I love blood pudding, I love roast beef and yorkshire pudding. I love steak and kidney pie. I would rather have my fingernails pulled out than eat rice or bread pudding.
I'm with Zapper and friends: I love rice pudding.

Probably the worst thing that I have ever tasted by accident was French roast coffee with tabasco in it.

My Grandmother used to like brains and eggplant, but she never made us eat any.

As a kid, my freind's dad once made us a Danish breakfast: Toast covered with lots of bacon grease and maple syrup...and bacon on the side, of course.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Once I had homework and it was to make a salsa and bring it to Home Ec class. I sprinkled cayenne pepper into it because I wanted it hotter, but it wasn't sprinkling out of the tin enough to really add much heat so I pried the lid off and found out that it was full of weevils. I didn't add any more cayenne to the salsa, but I still served what I had made and got an A in the class.

Evo were you bornin in England or something?

binzing said:
Evo were you bornin in England or something?
No, I was born in America.

Evo said:
..other things that are wrong
veggies that boiled too long. Hate that brownish broccoli or sugar peas that fall apart upon touching it. That's how the grannies here used to cook it.

The right way is to boil a little water first, pour it in the pan with veggies and simmer / steam it it for a few minutes, depending on the kind. Broccoli two minutes, French beans about 8 minutes. That way the veggies stay nice, crisp and bright green, with the vitamin C and the flavor still inside.

cristo said:
Rice pudding is delicious. Damn you and your hatred of English specialties, Evo! :grumpy:

(Check this out, Cristo, I'm pulling this one out of a very old hat)

Evo,

I like to eat rice pudding with a forkIN MY LEFT HAND!:devil:

Chi Meson said:
(Check this out, Cristo, I'm pulling this one out of a very old hat)

Evo,

I like to eat rice pudding with a fork

IN MY LEFT HAND!:devil:
AAAAARRRGHHHHH!

Warning: You have just flunked the fork test!

This is a banable offense, combing rice pudding with improper untensil use. :devil:

Evo said:
AAAAARRRGHHHHH!

Warning: You have just flunked the fork test!

I'm spoken for.
:smarmy grin:

Chi Meson said:
I'm spoken for.
:smarmy grin:
Go watch Dedicated to MIH.

You're treading on thin ice young man. :rofl:

Andre said:
veggies that boiled too long. Hate that brownish broccoli or sugar peas that fall apart upon touching it. That's how the grannies here used to cook it.

The right way is to boil a little water first, pour it in the pan with veggies and simmer / steam it it for a few minutes, depending on the kind. Broccoli two minutes, French beans about 8 minutes. That way the veggies stay nice, crisp and bright green, with the vitamin C and the flavor still inside.
So many people don't know this, Andre, including my sisters. Edit: I have tried to educate them, but it seems that cooking properly is too much effort. Put a little water in a saucepan and insert the steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil, add vegetables, steam until still firm and colorful, and remove from the pan immediately. Too many people put vegetables and water in a pan, turn on the heat and let the water slowly heat up until it comes to a boil. Result: overdone vegetables with poor color, and most of the nutrients are poured off with the cooking water. BAD!

tribdog said:
You ate every day? Well aren't we la-di-da.
My family ate every day too, but not that fancy store-bought stuff. We had to suffer through home-baked beans, home-made yeast bread and biscuits, home-made vegetable soups, venison and fried potatoes, fried liver with onions, and all that kind of stuff. No Kraft macaroni and cheese or Dinty Moore soups at our house. My parents grew up in the depression, and my mother never would buy anything that she could make at home.

Liver and Onions

Sourkraut

Beets

Okra

Candied Yams

Tuna Salad Sandwiches with Pickle Relish

Marinara with Raisins

My Grandmother's Cooking in general

Evo said:
Go watch Dedicated to MIH.

You're treading on thin ice young man. :rofl:

Aaaaaaaaaaah!
:cry::cry::cry:
Old wounds! Old Wounds!
:cry::cry::cry:

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm with Zapper and friends: I love rice pudding.
:yuck: I'm with Evo on rice pudding, and chocolate-covered raisins. Neither is fit for human consumption.

Probably the worst thing that I have ever tasted by accident was French roast coffee with tabasco in it.
EEEEWWWW! Did the tabasco get in by accident, or you just drank it by accident?

My Grandmother used to like brains and eggplant, but she never made us eat any.
I love eggplant. I've never eaten brains though. No idea if I'd like the flavor or not, but the texture would put me off...I'd be afraid it would be too much like soft, slimy tofu, which I can't stand!

As a kid, my freind's dad once made us a Danish breakfast: Toast covered with lots of bacon grease and maple syrup...and bacon on the side, of course.
A special treat when I was a kid was to dip white bread into bacon grease. I remember liking it, but cannot at all remember what it really tasted like. I don't think I could ever talk myself into trying that again as an adult though. :bugeye:

I've eaten testicles and scrambled eggs.

Oh I love tofu, but it has to be nice and firm.

As a kid I used to love things covered in chocolate syrup, not if anythign has the syrup in it, I won't even touch it.

tribdog said:
I've eaten testicles and scrambled eggs.
together?

Have you watched Andrew Zimmern?

turbo-1 said:
My family ate every day too, but not that fancy store-bought stuff. We had to suffer through home-baked beans, home-made yeast bread and biscuits, home-made vegetable soups, venison and fried potatoes, fried liver with onions, and all that kind of stuff. No Kraft macaroni and cheese or Dinty Moore soups at our house. My parents grew up in the depression, and my mother never would buy anything that she could make at home.

Pretty much the same here. I grew up on a farm (subsistence). Home made bread. Vegetables from our own garden, eggs from our chickens (and chicken from our chickens when they quit laying) milk, cream and home-churned butter from our cow and we raised our own beef. Sunday dinners were pretty much always beef roast or steak with potatoes(also home-grown) and vegetables. Monday, stew from Sunday's left-overs.

And besides the never-ending supply of cinnamon rolls, home baked cookies, pies, cakes and occasionally doughnuts (both raised and cake).

Andre said:

That is how my school used to cook it. Very very bad. Soggy broccoli is the worst thing ever. The whole thing was limp.

broccoli is never bad. raw, cooked, over-cooked doesn't matter. I'm a broccoli lover.

Janus said:
Pretty much the same here. I grew up on a farm (subsistence). Home made bread. Vegetables from our own garden, eggs from our chickens (and chicken from our chickens when they quit laying) milk, cream and home-churned butter from our cow and we raised our own beef. Sunday dinners were pretty much always beef roast or steak with potatoes(also home-grown) and vegetables. Monday, stew from Sunday's left-overs.

And besides the never-ending supply of cinnamon rolls, home baked cookies, pies, cakes and occasionally doughnuts (both raised and cake).
Sounds like you had it as tough as i did, Janus.

I remember once I got to have seconds.

Are you kidding me?

You guys don't like Raisenets?

You all are weirdos.

Ok, just got to wondering with the mentions of the French and English grandmothers...

Raisins are nasty...

Rice pudding, at least like Kozy Shack, is good...

"Raisins are nasty" ...?

NVM...

I'm going to bed, goodnight.

Raisins are great. Chocolate-covered raisins? Even better.

morphism said:
Raisins are great. Chocolate-covered raisins? Even better.
I will eat raisins if I have to, but I don't willingly seek them out. As Moonbear said, chocolate raisins are an abomination unfit for human consumption. :yuck:

The only thing worse is canned white hominy corn. This is corn soaked in lye. It smells and tastes like sweaty sneakers.

Evo said:
The only thing worse is canned white hominy corn. This is corn soaked in lye. It smells and tastes like sweaty sneakers.
I have no basis for comparison, Evo. Unlike you, I have never felt the urge to taste sweaty sneakers.

turbo-1 said:
I have no basis for comparison, Evo. Unlike you, I have never felt the urge to taste sweaty sneakers.
:rofl: I can imagine the taste from the smell. If it smells the same, I assume it tastes the same. :yuck:

It's like durian, the people that like it say that it doesn't taste as bad as it smells. It's one of the only things that I've watched Andrew Zimmern gag on. He didn't agree that it tasted any better than it smelled, and he's eaten some pretty nasty stuff. I wonder if Zimmern has ever eaten canned hominy?

Moonbear said:
:yuck: I'm with Evo on rice pudding, and chocolate-covered raisins. Neither is fit for human consumption.

We, humans, love chocolate-covered raisins :wink:

Borek said:
We, humans, love chocolate-covered raisins :wink:
Borek NO! Please don't tell me that you have gone to the dark side!

Evo said:
Borek NO! Please don't tell me that you have gone to the dark side!

Gone? Mwahahaha, I was born here! :devil:

Evo said:
:rofl: I can imagine the taste from the smell. If it smells the same, I assume it tastes the same. :yuck:

It's like durian, the people that like it say that it doesn't taste as bad as it smells. It's one of the only things that I've watched Andrew Zimmern gag on. He didn't agree that it tasted any better than it smelled, and he's eaten some pretty nasty stuff. I wonder if Zimmern has ever eaten canned hominy?

Actually it can taste worse. Or else I didn't get a good enough whiff before tasting. I'd as soon soak my tongue in turpentine as ever taste it again. Ever.

As to hominy there wasn't enough sugar on the table to stop me from gagging on that stuff. My Mother - God Bless her - served that at times along with her overcooked Salvidor Dali vegetable medleys and I think as much as anything that sealed my fate as a meat/carbohydrate/dessert eater.

Back