Help with Secured Wire Loop Circuit - 2N7000/2N3906 Transistor Questions

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit found on a website for a security loop wire. The speaker or buzzer in the circuit is used to indicate a breach of security. The conversation also mentions the possibility of replacing the transistor in the circuit and asks for an explanation of how the circuit works.
Inspiron1
Hey guys. Can someone help me with this circuit?
http://www.discovercircuits.com/H-Corner/secwireloop.htm

Where it says "beeper" do they mean a speaker or do they mean a buzzer?

And can I replace the 2N7000 transistor with a 2N3906?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Simpler question: What does the D G S mean around the transistor?

Shouldn't it say E B C?

D G S means drain gate source. The 2N7000 is an N channel FET (field effect transistor). Type in "2N7000 datasheet" in Google search to find one. The beeper is one of those units that beep when you apply a dc voltage. You could use a transistor instead of a FET, but the current to power the base will be more, so the drain current from the battery will be more.. The circuit is laid out for a NPN; the 2N3906 is a PNP.

Will someone help explain how this circuit works? I don't understand what the transistor does.

Hey Inspiron1,

The security loop wire grounds (neg. side of battery) the gate keeping the transistor from conducting. When it is opened (breach of security), the gate voltage goes to 9 volts which causes a current to flow through the buzzer via the transistors drain to source conduction.

It can be a speaker or a naked piezo element. When the loop is broken, the circuit will oscillate with the capacitor on the gate.

1. What is a secured wire loop circuit?

A secured wire loop circuit is an electronic circuit that uses a wire loop to detect changes in electromagnetic fields. It is often used in security systems to detect when an object or person enters a designated area.

2. What is the purpose of using 2N7000/2N3906 transistors in this circuit?

The 2N7000 and 2N3906 transistors are used in this circuit to amplify the signal from the wire loop and to control the flow of current. This allows the circuit to accurately detect changes in the electromagnetic fields.

3. Can this circuit be used to detect any type of object or only metal objects?

This circuit can be used to detect any type of object that creates a change in the electromagnetic field. However, it is most commonly used to detect metallic objects due to their strong electromagnetic properties.

4. Is it difficult to build a secured wire loop circuit using these transistors?

Building a secured wire loop circuit using 2N7000/2N3906 transistors may require some basic knowledge of electronics and circuitry. However, with proper instructions and careful assembly, it can be easily built by anyone with an interest in electronics.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my secured wire loop circuit?

If you are experiencing issues with your secured wire loop circuit, the first step is to check all connections and ensure they are secure. You can also use a multimeter to test for continuity and voltage at various points in the circuit. If these steps do not resolve the issue, consult a professional or refer to online resources for further troubleshooting tips.