How to filter noise from an inductive pickup. low pass filter.

In summary, the speaker is creating a tachometer that counts pulses from an inductive pickup connected to an HT lead on an engine. They are struggling with a large amount of noise in their signal and are seeking advice on how to clean it up. They have been recommended to use an active low pass filter, but are not familiar with this. They are also advised to determine where the noise is entering the circuit and take steps to prevent it. The speaker also raises questions about the number of wires going to the sensor and the potential impact of filtering on the inductive coupling.
usmansaleem
i am making a tachometer which will count pulses from an inductive pikup connected to an HT lead on an engine. i am having great difficulty when measuring my signal from the pick up as there is a huge amount of noise. can anyone raccomend the best way to clean this up? someone mentioned an active low pass filter, maybe a third order but i am not too familiar with these. any information will be appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
First determine where the noise is entering the circuit. Take steps to prevent this. I've worked with inductive pickup sensors and generally the sensor itself does not pick up anything except excessive interference. How many wires go to this sensor?

Be careful of the filtering. Inductive coupling is AC coupled. The "signal" may be a ringing (damped sine wave) waveform. Is this a Hall Effect pickup?

1. How does a low pass filter work to filter noise from an inductive pickup?

A low pass filter works by allowing low frequency signals to pass through while attenuating or blocking high frequency signals. This is achieved through the use of capacitors and resistors, which create a voltage divider that reduces the amplitude of high frequency signals.

2. What types of noise can be filtered out using a low pass filter with an inductive pickup?

A low pass filter can effectively filter out noise such as electromagnetic interference (EMI), radio frequency interference (RFI), and high frequency electrical noise. It can also reduce the effects of electromagnetic induction, which can cause distortion in the signal.

3. Can a low pass filter be used to filter out noise from any type of inductive pickup?

Yes, a low pass filter can be used with any type of inductive pickup, such as a coil or sensor. However, the specific design and components of the filter may vary depending on the characteristics of the pickup and the type of noise being filtered.

4. How do I choose the right components for a low pass filter for my inductive pickup?

The components for a low pass filter, such as the values of the capacitors and resistors, should be chosen based on the desired cutoff frequency and the impedance of the inductive pickup. It is important to carefully calculate and select these components to ensure optimal filtering performance.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using a low pass filter for noise reduction in an inductive pickup?

One potential drawback of using a low pass filter is that it can also attenuate or block low frequency signals, which may be important for the desired measurement or detection. Additionally, the filter may introduce some phase shifts and affect the overall frequency response of the system. Careful design and testing are necessary to minimize these potential drawbacks.