Which Addressing Mode is this? MOV DX, ES:[BX+6]?

• Thread starter kloong
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dx Mode
In summary, the 8086 assembly language uses a segmented model where segments overlap every 16 bytes. This means that addresses such as A000:0000 and A001:0000 are not 64Kb apart, but actually overlap. This model can use various addressing modes such as register, immediate, direct, register indirect, and combined modes like displacement + indirect. An example of this is using the instruction "mov dx,es:6[bx]" which can also be written as "operand = 16 bit memory word at address [es*16 + bx + 6]".
kloong
For 8086 assembly language.

Technology news on Phys.org
This is known as the segmented model. In this model as far as I know segments overlap every so many bytes (i think its 16 or some power of it). So basically A000:0000 and A001:0000 are not 64Kb apart but actually overlap.

x:y = 16*x+y

Unless my memory fails me.

umm.. I am thinking if it's register addressing mode, immediate addressing mode, direct addressing mode, register indirect mode or others..

displacement + indirect (register)

it can also be written as

mov dx,es:6[bx]

where 6 could be an 8 bit or 16 bit displacement (offset).

operand = 16 bit memory word at address [es*16 + bx + 6]

Last edited:
Wow. I never knew there are combined ones. Ok, thank you very much. =)

1. What is an addressing mode in computer architecture?

An addressing mode is a technique used in computer architecture to specify the location of data or instructions in memory. It determines how the processor interprets the operand of an instruction and retrieves data from memory.

2. How many addressing modes are there?

There are typically 5-6 addressing modes in a computer architecture, including immediate, direct, indirect, indexed, and relative addressing modes. Some architectures may have additional modes such as base or stack addressing.

3. What does the instruction "MOV DX, ES:[BX+6]" mean?

This instruction is a type of indirect addressing mode. It moves the data from the memory address stored in the combination of the base register (BX) and the offset (6) to the destination register (DX).

4. What is the purpose of using different addressing modes?

Different addressing modes allow for more flexibility and efficiency in programming. They enable programmers to access data and instructions in memory in different ways, depending on the requirements of the program.

5. How does the processor determine which addressing mode to use?

The processor determines the addressing mode based on the opcode (operation code) of the instruction. Each opcode is associated with a specific addressing mode, and the processor will use the corresponding mode to retrieve the operand from memory.