What is the elastic modulus of the wire?

In summary, the elastic modulus of a wire with a diameter of 0.2mm and a stretch percentage of 0.20% when a force of 6.28-N is applied is 1.0x10^11 N/m^2. The correct equation for elastic modulus is (F/A)/(ΔL/L), with the area being pi*r^2 and the change in length being 0.002. The mistake in the calculation was using an incorrect value for the area.
joseg707

Homework Statement

A wire of diameter 0.2mm stretches by 0.20% when a 6.28-N force is applied. What is the elastic modulus of the wire?

Homework Equations

Elastic Modulus=F/A/L/[tex]\Delta[/tex]L

The Attempt at a Solution

r=.1mm=1x10-4m

6.28N/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]1x10-8/.02=5x109N/m2

The right answer is 1.0x1011.

What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
joseg707 said:

Homework Equations

Elastic Modulus=F/A/L/[tex]\Delta[/tex]L
That should be (F/A)/(ΔL/L).

Oh, yeah. Well how do I calculate that? I know that the change is .2% if I use .002 or .2 as a value for [tex]\Delta[/tex]L/L I don't get the right answer. What is wrong with my calculation?

joseg707 said:
6.28N/(2[tex]\pi[/tex]1x10-8/.02=5x109N/m2
Area = pi*r². Looks like you have an extra factor of two in there. And ΔL/L = 0.002.

Ah! Thank you so much! I don't know why I was thinking are was 2*pi*r^2. Thanks a lot!

1. What is the elastic modulus of the wire?

The elastic modulus of a wire is a measure of its stiffness or ability to resist deformation. It is defined as the ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain (change in length per unit length) in a material.

2. How is the elastic modulus of a wire determined?

The elastic modulus of a wire can be determined through various experimental methods such as tensile testing, where the wire is stretched until it reaches its breaking point. The stress-strain curve generated from this test can be used to calculate the elastic modulus.

3. What factors affect the elastic modulus of a wire?

The elastic modulus of a wire is affected by several factors including the material it is made of, its composition and structure, temperature, and any external forces or stresses applied to it.

4. Why is the elastic modulus important in wire applications?

The elastic modulus is important in wire applications because it determines the wire's ability to withstand bending, stretching, and other mechanical stresses without permanently deforming. It also affects the wire's ability to transmit electrical signals.

5. How does the elastic modulus vary for different types of wire?

The elastic modulus can vary greatly for different types of wire depending on their material composition and structure. For example, steel wires have a higher elastic modulus than copper wires, making them more suitable for applications that require high stiffness.