Specific parts of the emission spectrum of a sodium lamp

In summary, the emission spectrum for Sodium lamp contains a bright red line, which cannot be identified in the diffuse d series. The origin of this red line is unknown, as most sources only discuss the yellow doublet. In addition, there are no transitions between the s series and d series in the analysis of possible transitions between electron energy levels for Sodium. This could be due to a violation of conservation of angular momentum, but further research is needed to confirm this.
Einstein2nd

Homework Statement

Part a) The emission spectrum for Sodium lamp contains a reasonably bright red line in its spectrum. What is its origin?

Part b) The possible transitions between electron energy levels for Sodium were analysed. There were no transitions between the s series (s subshell) and d series (d subshell). Why is that?

Homework Equations

None really.

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a) I analysed the diffuse d series and this red line isn't in it. I also analysed the origin of the famous yellow doublet but that really isn't overly relevent. I've done a heap of browsing the web and books and am yet to find anything at all. Most sources simply talk about the yellow doublet

Part b) As I said, I analysed the diffuse d series but these are all transitions between d orbitals and the 3p energy level. I'm thinking something along the lines of not conserving angular momentum or spin or something would prevent transitions between d and s series but I'm really not sure. As with Part a), the web and books have been useless so far so this is a bit of a last resort.

Thank you kindly in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a database with all known wavelengths but I have no real idea of where the red wavelength is so it's so hard to tell.

For part b) I was told it's not to do with conservation of spin. Conservation of angular momentum perhaps?

1. What is the emission spectrum of a sodium lamp?

The emission spectrum of a sodium lamp is the range of wavelengths of light that are emitted by the lamp. It consists mainly of two yellow lines at 589.0 and 589.6 nanometers.

2. Why does a sodium lamp emit a specific spectrum of light?

This specific spectrum of light is emitted because of the presence of sodium atoms in the lamp. When electricity passes through the gas inside the lamp, it excites the sodium atoms and causes them to emit light at specific wavelengths.

3. How is the emission spectrum of a sodium lamp used in science?

The emission spectrum of a sodium lamp is used in various scientific applications such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and chemistry. It is also used in streetlights and other forms of lighting.

4. Can the emission spectrum of a sodium lamp be changed?

The emission spectrum of a sodium lamp can be altered by changing the temperature or pressure of the gas inside the lamp. However, this will also affect the overall brightness and efficiency of the lamp.

5. How is the emission spectrum of a sodium lamp different from other types of lamps?

The emission spectrum of a sodium lamp is unique compared to other types of lamps because of the specific wavelengths of light it emits. This makes it useful for certain applications, but it also means that it may not be suitable for all lighting needs.