Charged Ball on String: Tension and Vertical Movement Explained

• Thread starter bodensee9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    String
In summary, when a charged rod is placed next to a charged ball hanging on a string, causing the string to make an angle with the vertical, the tension in the horizontal component is equal to the force from the charged rod. This is the only force causing the string to move with respect to the vertical, and the tension in the vertical component is equal to the weight of the ball. The angle θ can be calculated using the tangent inverse of the ratio of the electric force to the weight force.
bodensee9
Hello:

Suppose that I have a charged ball hanging on a string. Then I placed a charged rod next to the ball and caused my string to make an angle with the vertical. Then, the tension in the string in the horizontal component would be equal to the force from the charged rod, no? That's the only force that's causing the string to move with respect to the vertical. Then my tension in the vertical component = mg.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bodensee9 said:
Hello:

Suppose that I have a charged ball hanging on a string. Then I placed a charged rod next to the ball and caused my string to make an angle with the vertical. Then, the tension in the string in the horizontal component would be equal to the force from the charged rod, no? That's the only force that's causing the string to move with respect to the vertical. Then my tension in the vertical component = mg.

Thanks.

Sounds OK.

And the angle it makes θ, is the tan-1(Felec/Fmg)

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experiment with me. I can confirm that your understanding of the forces at play in this scenario is correct. The tension in the string's horizontal component is indeed equal to the force from the charged rod, as this is the only force acting on the ball in that direction. And the tension in the vertical component will be equal to the weight of the ball, which is equivalent to mg.

By introducing the charged rod, you have created an electric field around the ball, which interacts with the ball's own charge. This results in a force that causes the ball to move in the horizontal direction, while the tension in the string maintains its vertical position. This experiment is a great example of how the principles of tension and electric forces work together to explain the movement of an object.

I hope this helps further your understanding of these concepts. Keep up the curious and scientific mindset!

1. What is a simple string?

A simple string is a sequence of characters or symbols that are used to represent text or data. It can include letters, numbers, punctuation marks, and special characters.

2. How do you manipulate a simple string?

Simple strings can be manipulated using various methods and functions, such as concatenation, slicing, and formatting. These allow you to combine, extract, and modify different parts of the string to suit your needs.

3. What is the difference between a simple string and a complex string?

A simple string only contains basic characters and symbols, while a complex string may also include special characters, escape sequences, and formatting codes. Complex strings are often used for more advanced purposes, such as in programming or data processing.

4. How do you check if a simple string contains a certain character or word?

You can use the "in" operator to check if a character or word is present in a simple string. This will return a boolean value of true or false, depending on whether the string contains the specified element.

5. Can a simple string be converted to a number?

Yes, a simple string can be converted to a number using the appropriate data type conversion function or method, such as int() or float(). However, this will only work if the string contains numerical characters, otherwise an error will occur.