Matrix - solving linear system

That's not "factoring" but it's solving an equation.In summary, the conversation discusses a linear system with three variables and three equations. The last step in reducing it to row echelon form is shown, and the question is posed to determine the values of a for which the system has no solution, infinitely many solutions, or only one solution. The solution is given as a = ±√5.
Amy-Lee
linear system:
x + y +z = 2
2x + 3y+ 2z = 3
2x + 3y+ (a2 - 2)z = a+1

when reducing it to row echelon form, the last step looks like the following (if my calculations are right)

1 1 1 2
0 0 1 1
0, 1, a2-5, a-4

the question is to determine all values of a for which he system has
(a)no solution, (b) infinitely many solutions, (c) only one solution

for (a) to happen a2-5 = 0 and a-4 not=0

but I can't seem to factorize a2-5=0 or are my calculations just wrong?

thanks Amy-Lee

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Amy-Lee! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Amy-Lee said:
… for (a) to happen a2-5 = 0 and a-4 not=0

but I can't seem to factorize a2-5=0 or are my calculations just wrong?

I haven't checked how you got there, but a2 - 5 = 0 is just (a + √5)(a - √5) = 0, or a = ±√5 :wink:

Thank you Tiny Tim!:approve:

Did it occur to you that [itex]a^2- 5= 0[/itex] is the same as [itex]a^2= 5[/itex] and so [itex]a= \pm\sqrt{5}[/itex]?

1. What is a linear system?

A linear system is a set of equations involving multiple variables, where the solution is a set of values for those variables that satisfies all of the equations simultaneously.

2. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols. In the context of solving linear systems, a matrix represents the coefficients of the variables in the system of equations.

3. How do I solve a linear system using matrices?

To solve a linear system using matrices, you can use a method called Gaussian elimination, which involves systematically eliminating variables by performing row operations on the matrix until you are left with a row of reduced echelon form. The values of the variables can then be determined from the resulting matrix.

4. What if my linear system has no solution?

If a linear system has no solution, it means that the equations are inconsistent and cannot be satisfied simultaneously. This could happen if there are more equations than variables, or if the equations are contradictory.

5. Can I use matrices to solve nonlinear systems?

No, matrices can only be used to solve linear systems. Nonlinear systems involve equations with variables raised to different powers, which cannot be manipulated using the same methods as linear systems.