Uniformly Varying Load/Uniform Load to Concentrated Point Load

• Thread starter accesskb
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Load Point
In summary, the conversation is about freebody diagrams and converting a uniformly varying load into a concentrated point load in a structures course. The point load is placed at the centroid of the right triangle and its value can be found by calculating the area of the triangle and placing the load at one-third of its length. The person is also looking for a tutor in structures class.
accesskb
Hi all,
I'm taking a Structures course in University and are learning about Freebody diagrams and figuring out Reaction forces (magnitude, direction, sense etc) and have a very basic question. Can someone please tell me how to convert a uniformly varying load into a concentrated point load, and how does one figure out at which point on the member to place this concentrated point load? I've attached a scan from my book but it doesn't show how to derive the point load. appreciate thanks.

I do know how to convert a uniform load into a concentrated point load.

Also if anyone would like to tutor me in Structures, (i will reimburse in an hourly basis or we could work out a deal), please let me know? I'm having difficulty in my Structures class, and desperately need to pass it and would like to have a tutor who I can depend on to have questions that I may have answered. thanks

3935107595_df4b1538de_o.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The point load is placed in line with the centroid of the right triangle. It is found by

[tex]X = \frac{2B}{3}[/tex]

where

B = The length of the total varying load.
X = distance from the large end of the load triangle (in this case, where the large dot is right below the 15 k/ft)

Look here for a reference:
http://www.ele.uri.edu/~daly/106/06/project/centroid/centroid.html

Thanks Fred... can you tell me how does one arrive at the value concentrated load of 67.5? I know with a uniform load we have to multiply the uniform load and the length it affects. eg: 2k/ft x 6ft

accesskb said:
Thanks Fred... can you tell me how does one arrive at the value concentrated load of 67.5? I know with a uniform load we have to multiply the uniform load and the length it affects. eg: 2k/ft x 6ft
If you think of a triangle as one half of a rectangle...

It is very simple. Just find the area of triangular load. (1/2)*(3+6)*15 = 67.5. And place the load at the centroid of the triangle (1/3)*9= 3..

1. What is a uniformly varying load?

A uniformly varying load refers to a load that is distributed evenly over a specific area or length. This type of load gradually increases or decreases in magnitude along the length of the load.

2. What is a uniform load?

A uniform load, also known as a distributed load, is a load that is evenly distributed over a specific area or length. This means that the load has a constant magnitude throughout the area or length it is applied to.

3. What is a concentrated point load?

A concentrated point load is a load that is applied at a specific point or location. It is also known as a point load or a concentrated load. Unlike a uniformly varying load or a uniform load, a concentrated point load has a single point of application.

4. What is the difference between a uniformly varying load and a uniform load?

The main difference between a uniformly varying load and a uniform load is the way the load is distributed. A uniformly varying load gradually increases or decreases in magnitude along its length, while a uniform load has a constant magnitude throughout its length. Additionally, a uniformly varying load has a varying distribution of force, while a uniform load has an even distribution of force.

5. What is the effect of a concentrated point load on a structure?

A concentrated point load can have a significant effect on a structure, depending on its magnitude and location. It can cause bending, shear, and deflection, which can lead to structural failures if not properly accounted for in the design. It is important to carefully consider the effects of concentrated point loads when designing structures to ensure their stability and safety.