Is Physics Close to Explaining the Forces Behind Our Existence?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book explaining the latest advancements in physics related to the forces behind our existence, without any focus on cosmology or the big bang. The individual is looking for a unified theory that explains the sustenance of existence, but the conversation explores the limitations of physics in this regard and suggests that biology, evolution, and chemistry may provide a better understanding of our existence. The conversation also mentions the concept of fields in physics and the current lack of a comprehensive theory.
interestedman
hi friends,i wonder if anyone can give me a link to a good layman book about the latest advancements in physics ,pertaining to explaining our existence and the forces behind it,and please no cosmology issued or big bang stuff,just applied physics to creation.thanks:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Applied physics to creation that has nothing to do with the big bang or cosmology? That's intense. I was under the impression that that's what the big bang theory is.

I mean, what information could you possibly be looking for? I guess perhaps evolution stuff? Chemistry? I dunno... your gona have to be much more specific.

i will try.meaning how physics could explain creation,is there a theory for all?a unified explanatory theory that tells us ,not how life came about,but how it is sustained in a manner that prevents its demise.is this explained by material phenomenon ,or is it beyond our understanding at the moment?

The science of life is called biology, it's a fascinating field but it is definitely huge... where to start? Look up some stuff and come back with more questions!

i stand to correct myself,i want to know how physics and not biology can explain,not life i am sorry,but rather the sustenance of existence as a whole ,as we know it today.

interestedman said:
i stand to correct myself,i want to know how physics and not biology can explain,not life i am sorry,but rather the sustenance of existence as a whole ,as we know it today.

The sustenance of existence? You mean pot?

EDIT: I bet these guys can help you, she (him, it, spirit) was on 'What the Bleep do We Know?'. http://www.ramtha.com/

if you don't kn;ow just say so,and don't refer me t;o some superstitious material,not what i expected.thankd anyway mate.:frown:

interestedman said:
if you don't kn;ow just say so,and don't refer me t;o some superstitious material,not what i expected.thankd anyway mate.:frown:

I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood your question. What exactly DO you mean by the term 'sustenance of existence'?

the physical forces that is able to hold the universe together,from the massive galaxies to the tiniest electron,the all embracing physics theory of everything,how far is p;hysics close to an explanation?thanks bro:smile:

interestedman said:
the physical forces that is able to hold the universe together,from the massive galaxies to the tiniest electron,the all embracing physics theory of everything,how far is p;hysics close to an explanation?thanks bro:smile:

As far as we know it's all fields on fields, with different fields having different properties and interactions. As far as understanding all of the different fields under one umbrella we cannot at the moment. Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity are at odds with each other in some very deep ways.

So the answer is that we are pretty far from an explanation. We have a good idea where we came from and why we are here (biology / evolution / chemistry) but as for why there is a universe at all I don't think we can ever deduce that from observation, but who knows?

1. What are the latest discoveries in physics?

The latest discoveries in physics include the detection of gravitational waves, the confirmation of the existence of the Higgs boson particle, and the development of quantum computers.

2. How do these advancements in physics benefit society?

The advancements in physics lead to new technologies and innovations that have practical applications in various industries such as healthcare, energy, and communications.

3. What are the main areas of research in modern physics?

The main areas of research in modern physics include quantum mechanics, relativity, cosmology, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

4. How do scientists stay updated on the latest advancements in physics?

Scientists stay updated on the latest advancements in physics through attending conferences, reading scientific journals, and collaborating with other researchers in the field.

5. How does the study of physics contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The study of physics helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, from the tiniest particles to the largest structures. It also allows us to make predictions and explore the unknown aspects of the universe.