Chem. Engineering Undergrad, Physics Grad Possibility

In summary, if you want to pursue a career in physics, you will likely have to take some qualifying courses before you can attempt to get a graduate degree. However, if you want to do research within physics then a graduate degree in physics is the way to go.
jayeffarr
I am currently a junior in the chemical engineering program at my school and have now started debating possible paths I can take after I graduate. What I'm interested in are what type of possibilities are out there for engineers who choose to Master in Physics and not in their respective undergrad subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
if you choose to go to grad school for physics you will probably have to go through a qualifying year in which you would have to take a lot of the physics courses you didn't take in your undergrad. I am also a chemical engineer and the only required physics for me was 3 basic classes so I am assuming your curriculum is similar. I thought of doing the same thing at one point but decided on going to grad school for nuclear engineering rather than physics. although I will likely have to do the same qualifying year since most of the classes are different.

If you got a masters in physics it woud certainly open some doors into other careers, a Phd would be a lot better, especially if you are looking to get into theory and research. Are you still looking to work as a chemical engineer or want to get a job in the physics field after your masters?

Both fields of study fascinate me, though I may change my mind as time goes on. I would almost prefer to stay somewhere connected with chemical engineering since it would be my undergrad study.

At the same time I also yearn to doing research within physics.
I'm just not sure what way a Master's in Physics would lead me, as far as career choices with a chem.E. Bachelor's. Even a possible PhD in physics for the hell of it.

I'm not exactly sure how the physics degree would help you as a chem e. Perhaps someone with more experience in the physics field would be able to answer that for you. But if you want to do research within physics then obviously getting a graduate degree in physics is the way to go. I am also interested in both paths and decided nuclear engineering was kind of a middleground that involved a little of both fields. In my opinion, you should try make a definate decision on what you want to do. If you want to work solely as a chemical engineer I don't see the physics degree helping very much and getting a graduate degree in it might be a waste of time if you end up working as a chem e in the end. However, as I stated before, this could be wrong and someone with more knowledge of physics careers might be able to offer better advice. Maybe someone knows of another field, other than nuclear e, that you will have to utilize everything from both a physics and chem e degree.

1. Can I pursue a graduate degree in physics after completing my undergraduate degree in chemical engineering?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a graduate degree in physics after completing your undergraduate degree in chemical engineering. While the two fields may seem different, there is significant overlap in the coursework and skills required for both degrees. Many universities even offer a combined program where students can earn both a bachelor's and master's degree in both fields.

2. Will my background in chemical engineering give me an advantage in a physics graduate program?

Yes, your background in chemical engineering can give you an advantage in a physics graduate program. The problem-solving skills and mathematical proficiency developed in chemical engineering courses can be applied to physics problems. Additionally, having a diverse academic background can make you a more well-rounded and versatile candidate for graduate programs.

3. Are there any specific courses I should take during my chemical engineering undergraduate degree to prepare for a physics graduate program?

Yes, there are some recommended courses that can help prepare you for a physics graduate program. These courses may include classical mechanics, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and mathematical methods in physics. It is also beneficial to take courses in computer programming and statistics as they are becoming increasingly important in the field of physics.

4. Can I switch from a chemical engineering undergraduate degree to a physics graduate program?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a chemical engineering undergraduate degree to a physics graduate program. However, it may require taking additional courses to catch up on any knowledge gaps in physics. It is important to also research the specific requirements and prerequisites for the graduate program you are interested in to ensure a smooth transition.

5. What career opportunities are available with a dual degree in chemical engineering and physics?

A dual degree in chemical engineering and physics can open up a wide range of career opportunities. Some possible career paths include research and development in industries such as energy, materials, and biotechnology. It can also lead to roles in academia, government agencies, and consulting firms. The combination of skills and knowledge from both fields can make you a valuable asset in various industries.