Oxidising capaities of household bleaches

• Thread starter Dave7
  • Start date
In summary, household bleaches are commonly used to whiten and disinfect surfaces, fabrics, and other materials. They contain chemicals that have oxidising properties, such as sodium hypochlorite, which reacts with stains and bacteria to remove them from surfaces. The effectiveness of household bleaches as oxidising agents can vary depending on the concentration of sodium hypochlorite. However, they can be harmful if not used properly and there are alternative options, such as vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, for oxidising purposes.
Dave7
How do i calculate the moles of iodine present in this equation?

I2(aq) + 2S2O32-(aq) = 2I-(aq) + S4O62-(aq)

Thanks for your help

Physics news on Phys.org
Question as posted doesn't make sense. Surely you have some data that your calculations should be based on, not just the reaction equation.

--

!

The oxidizing capacity of household bleaches can be determined by measuring the moles of iodine present in the reaction. To calculate the moles of iodine, you will need to use the balanced chemical equation provided. This equation tells us that for every 1 mole of iodine (I2), 2 moles of thiosulfate ions (S2O32-) are needed for the reaction to occur. Therefore, if we know the amount of thiosulfate used in the reaction, we can calculate the moles of iodine present.

For example, if we use 0.1 moles of thiosulfate in the reaction, we can calculate the moles of iodine as follows:

0.1 moles S2O32- x (1 mole I2 / 2 moles S2O32-) = 0.05 moles I2

This means that there are 0.05 moles of iodine present in the reaction. By determining the moles of iodine present, we can then compare the oxidizing capacities of different household bleaches to determine which one is more effective.

1. What is the purpose of household bleaches?

Household bleaches are commonly used to whiten and disinfect surfaces, fabrics, and other materials. They contain chemicals that have oxidising properties, which allow them to break down and remove stains, bacteria, and other contaminants.

2. How do household bleaches work as oxidising agents?

Household bleaches contain an active ingredient known as sodium hypochlorite, which is a powerful oxidising agent. When it comes into contact with stains, bacteria, or other substances, the sodium hypochlorite breaks down and releases oxygen atoms. These oxygen atoms then react with the stains or bacteria, breaking them down and removing them from the surface.

3. Are all household bleaches equally effective as oxidising agents?

No, the effectiveness of household bleaches as oxidising agents can vary depending on the concentration of sodium hypochlorite and other ingredients in the product. Generally, higher concentrations of sodium hypochlorite will result in a more powerful oxidising action.

4. Can household bleaches be harmful to human health?

Household bleaches can be harmful if not used properly. The active ingredient, sodium hypochlorite, can cause skin and eye irritation and should be handled with caution. Inhaling the fumes of household bleach can also be harmful, so it is important to use these products in a well-ventilated area.

5. Are there any alternatives to household bleaches for oxidising purposes?

Yes, there are several alternatives to household bleaches for oxidising purposes. Some natural options include vinegar, lemon juice, and hydrogen peroxide. These substances also have oxidising properties and can be effective in removing stains and disinfecting surfaces. Additionally, there are also commercial products that use non-toxic ingredients for oxidising purposes.