Examination-Style Questions. Density of Material Questions (b)(i)(ii)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of mass, volume, and density using the formula p = m/v. It also gives an example of calculating the mass of copper and zinc in a brass rod based on their respective densities. The conversation concludes with a question about why the density of brass may not be made of equal portions of copper and zinc, and how to calculate the mass of each element in a given volume of brass.
i have done few simple questions by using p = m/v to calculate the mass, volume and density, but for this question, i don't know how to do it. Please help ^^"
(a) Define the density of a material.
>Density is the mass of the material per unit volume.

(b)Brass, an alloy of copper and zinc, consists of 70% BY VOLUME of copper and 30% BY VOLUME of zinc.
Density of Copper = 8.9 x 10^3kgm^-3
Density of Zinc = 7.1 x 10^3kgm^-3

(i)Determine the mass of copper and the mass of zinc required to make a rod of bras of volume 0.80 x 10^-3m^3
hmm..Cu = Mass x 70% x 8.9 x 10^3kgm^-3, Zn = Mass x 30% x 7.1 x 10^3kgm^-3...?
(ii)Calculate the density of brass.
I think i will know how to do this question if i know the answer for (i)... = =

Physics news on Phys.org
oh yeah, for question (ii), should i just add up the two densities and divided by 2?...

Can someone answer for me please...

54088 said:
oh yeah, for question (ii), should i just add up the two densities and divided by 2?...

If you're told that brass is made of 70% copper (by volume) and 30% zinc (also by volume), why would you expect the density of brass to be made of equal portions?

jdwood983 said:
If you're told that brass is made of 70% copper (by volume) and 30% zinc (also by volume), why would you expect the density of brass to be made of equal portions?

so what should i do?

Not to sound cryptic, but I'll answer your question with another question: If you had to make a piece of copper that that had a volume of [itex]0.8\times10^{-3} \mathrm{m^3}[/itex], how would you go about finding the mass required? And if the previous volume were to be made of only zinc, what would its mass be?

What is the definition of density?

Density is the measure of the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is usually expressed in units of grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm3) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m3).

How do you calculate the density of a material?

Density is calculated by dividing the mass of the material by its volume. The formula for density is: density = mass / volume.

What is the difference between mass and volume?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while volume is the amount of space it occupies. Mass is usually measured in grams or kilograms, while volume is measured in cubic units such as cm3 or m3.

Why is density an important property of materials?

Density is an important property of materials because it helps us identify and classify different substances. It also plays a crucial role in many real-life applications, such as determining the buoyancy of objects and calculating the concentration of substances in a solution.

How does density affect the behavior of materials?

The density of a material can affect its physical properties, such as its strength, hardness, and ability to conduct heat and electricity. It can also impact how the material behaves in different environments, such as how it reacts to changes in temperature and pressure.