Speed/dist./time problem (need to find average speed)

In summary, Andrew won a two day bicycle race by traveling 60km each day with his average speed on the second day being double that of the first day. With a total of 6 hours of riding, his average speed was 15 km/h each day. The equation used to model this problem was Speed = distance / time and it was solved by finding the least common denominator of 2x and using it to simplify the equation.
bigmac

Homework Statement

Andrew won a two day bicycle race. He traveled 60km each day and his average speed on the second day was double that of the first day. If Andrew rode for a total of 6 hours, what was his average speed each day?

a) state an equation that models this problem.
b) Solve the problem.

Homework Equations

Speed = distance / time

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to do it using the chart method but its not working out...I get x = 0.0333 km/h...the speed can't be that slow :S.

1zy791f.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
(60/x) + (60/2x) = 6 >> (120/2x) + (60/2x) = 6 >> 180/2x = 6

>> 180 = 12 x , finally x =180/12 = 15 km/h .. what about this one :)

yeah that works but, how did you take 2x as the LCD? don't you just multiply the denominators to get the LCD? And when you take 2x as a LCD, you cross multiply the left side right? I get 120x + 60x / 2x = 6...how did you get 120/2x + 60/2x...

hmm, in the equation you have x and 2x in the denominators and you want to add them, in order to proceed the denominatos should be the same, and the shortest way to get them equal is by multiplying with 2 ( in the x denominator) ..

if it is still not clear please ask again, it is important that you be able to grasp this one..

bigmac said:
yeah that works but, how did you take 2x as the LCD? don't you just multiply the denominators to get the LCD? And when you take 2x as a LCD, you cross multiply the left side right? I get 120x + 60x / 2x = 6...how did you get 120/2x + 60/2x...

it seems that confuses you .. another way to solve it by taking 1/x as a common factor :

(60/x) + (60/2x) = 6 >> 1/x (60 + 60/2) = 6 >> 1/x (60 +30) = 6 >> 1/x (90) = 6

>> 1/x = 6/90 >> x = 90/6 = 15 km/h .. how about this one?

1. How do I calculate average speed?

To calculate average speed, you need to divide the total distance traveled by the total time it took to travel that distance. This formula can be written as: Average Speed = Total Distance / Total Time.

2. What units should I use for average speed?

Average speed is typically measured in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour (mph), kilometers per hour (km/h), or meters per second (m/s). It is important to use consistent units for both distance and time when calculating average speed.

3. Can average speed be higher than the fastest speed?

No, average speed cannot be higher than the fastest speed. Average speed is calculated by taking the total distance traveled and dividing it by the total time, so it is essentially an average of all the speeds during that time period. The fastest speed is just one data point and does not accurately represent the overall speed throughout the entire journey.

4. How do I incorporate multiple speeds in a speed/dist./time problem?

If there are multiple speeds involved in a speed/dist./time problem, you can use the formula: Average Speed = (Distance 1 + Distance 2 + ... + Distance n) / (Time 1 + Time 2 + ... + Time n). This will give you the overall average speed for the entire journey.

5. What is the difference between average speed and instantaneous speed?

Average speed is the overall rate of motion for an entire journey, calculated by dividing the total distance by the total time. Instantaneous speed, on the other hand, is the speed at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by taking the derivative of the position function with respect to time.