Problem with relationship of mass and radius with time in centripetal force

In summary, the conversation discusses two experiments on the relationship between mass and time, and radius and time in circular motion. The first experiment shows a formula of t= 1/√m times √4radius pie square, derived from the centripetal force formula. The second experiment, however, requires deriving a formula to express the relationship between radius and period using the equation of centripetal force and velocity. The conversation also mentions uncertainties in the values of radius and mass, and the use of a computer program to analyze the data.
We did a experiment, and the aim was to find out that relationship between mass and radius with period of time in the circular motion..Although I know the formula for centripetal force, but I am not sure about what the expression should be

The lab data :
Table 1: 1st experiment : relationship of mass and period
Mass Average time for 20 revolutions (+ 0.5 s) Period (T/20) For 1 revolution
1 25 15.355 0.76183
2 50 12.315 0.61575
3 100 7.53 0.365
4 150 6.66 0.333
5 200 5.635 0.28175
Radius: 35 cm (+ 5cm)
For this one I kind of get the expression, which is t= 1/√m times √4radius pie square (which the value is about 4) so 1/ root of mass and times 4.

Table 2: 2nd experiment: relationship of radius and period
Radius Average time for 20 revolutions Period (T/20)
For 1 revolution
1 10 6.595 0.32825
2 20 7.60 0.38
3 30 8.175 0.40875
4 40 9.35 0.47525
5 50 10.615 0.531
Mass: 25g (+ 1 gram)

And this one, I have not idea :confused: about the relationship of radius and period, can anyone help me out with this ? Thanks a lot!

p.s. the lab has systematic errors, since the angle can't be horizontal, cause we swing the object by hand.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the experiment, which mass is being varied? The mass of that's being whirled around, or some counterweight?

What do these cryptic messages mean:

"Radius: 35 cm (+ 5cm)"
"Mass: 25g (+ 1 gram)"

Have you plotted your results?

The radius is the same for all the first trials(for determining the relationship of mass and time), and the mass is also the same for all the second trials(for determining the relationship of radius and time)

805906000 said:
The radius is the same for all the first trials(for determining the relationship of mass and time), and the mass is also the same for all the second trials(for determining the relationship of radius and time)

But what are "+ 5cm" and "+ 1 gram"? Are these meant to represent uncertainties in their values?

this might help you:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum

also, I'm sure you were supposed to use some kind of computer program (may be Excel) or were given a system to average out the numerous results you got and their errors, so you can get a single representative result (via theory) and it's error.

Thanks for the reply;
-Yes,The + 5cm/1 gram are uncertainties
-No,Excel cannot figure out any formula
-The experiment is not a pendulum, it is rather looks like: http://www.stmary.ws/high school/physics/home/lab/Centripetal_Force_Lab.htm

Actually,I would like to just find out the relationship between time and radius supporting by data and deriving some kind of formula, like the one I kinda figure out for the first one about mass and time (t= 1/√m times √4radius pie square, which is derive from centripetal formula)

Last edited by a moderator:
805906000 said:
Thanks for the reply;
-Yes,The + 5cm/1 gram are uncertainties
-No,Excel cannot figure out any formula
-The experiment is not a pendulum, it is rather looks like: http://www.stmary.ws/high school/physics/home/lab/Centripetal_Force_Lab.htm

Actually,I would like to just find out the relationship between time and radius supporting by data and deriving some kind of formula, like the one I kinda figure out for the first one about mass and time (t= 1/√m times √4radius pie square, which is derive from centripetal formula)

Your uncertainties should probably look something like

R +/- 5cm
M +/- 1gm

To find your relationship between Radius and Period (for the second experiment), you'll have to write out the equation which equates the centripetal force with the weight of the counterweight, and isolate the desired terms. You may need to use another expression to express the velocity in terms of the period and radius.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between mass and radius in centripetal force?

The relationship between mass and radius in centripetal force is that as the mass of an object increases, the radius of its circular motion must also increase in order to maintain a constant centripetal force. This can be seen in the equation F = mv^2/r, where an increase in mass (m) requires a corresponding increase in radius (r) to keep the force (F) constant.

2. How does time affect the relationship between mass and radius in centripetal force?

Time does not directly affect the relationship between mass and radius in centripetal force. However, as time passes, the mass and radius of an object may change, which can then affect the centripetal force acting on it.

3. What happens to the centripetal force when the mass and radius of an object change?

When the mass and radius of an object change, the centripetal force acting on it will also change. An increase in mass or decrease in radius will result in a greater centripetal force, while a decrease in mass or increase in radius will result in a weaker centripetal force.

4. How does the direction of the centripetal force relate to the mass and radius of an object?

The direction of the centripetal force is always towards the center of the circular motion. The magnitude of the force is determined by the mass and radius of the object, as well as the speed at which it is moving.

5. Can the relationship between mass and radius in centripetal force be applied to all forms of circular motion?

Yes, the relationship between mass and radius in centripetal force can be applied to any form of circular motion, as long as the centripetal force is the only force acting on the object. This is known as centripetal force equilibrium, and it allows the object to maintain a constant circular motion.