The Struggling Life of Common Moorhen at University Lake

In summary: But it was swollen and had pus coming out of it. So the parents took it to the vet and he said it is fine now and it will fight another day. It seems like they're doing well, but they're not the easiest family to watch.
yenchin
Here at National Taiwan University, there is a beautiful lake called the Drunken Moon Lake which is basically right next to my office at Astro-Math Building. I have been observing a family of Common Moorhen for months. The first time I noticed them was probably back in March, when the pair had just one baby [the black dot in the middle of the picture below].
b_large_X5n2_0f5e00011fdb5c41.jpg

A few weeks ago I noticed the pairs now have 5 new babies, and I have been visiting them almost every day. Here is one of the 5 on the first day I saw them.
b_large_U9Gg_546f00006e7a5c72.jpg

Shown below is the juvenile bird (the single survivor of the previous hatches, i.e. the little baby in the fist photo) taking care of its little sisters and brothers while the parents go out to find food.
b_large_PJ8u_70f90000d5e85c6f.jpg

On 2nd of June, one of the little birds went missing. I still saw the poor little guy in the early afternoon, and somehow it was no longer around by late afternoon. It was a pretty safe environment, there isn't many predators around as far as I know, so it's a mystery as to what have happened. Sadly two days later another little bird also disappeared. I saw one of them ate a huge rubber band a day before, so perhaps that killed it. :cry:

The remaining three is growing stronger by the day though.
b6.jpg

b3.jpg

Today to my horror one of the adult birds is limping. Upon closer observation, I can see that one of its toes is severely broken, to the point of near-amputation, dangling to its foot. :cry:
It can still swim and fly pretty well though. I don't know whether I should be worry about this? Note the injured foot:
limp2.jpg

Life sure is tough out there... actually if look carefully, the juvenile has defective toes as well: all toes on the left foot appear cut with no claws at all:
juv2.jpg

Fortunately it can run very well:
b_large_leTc_712900008a6b5c6f.jpg

The juvenile usually sleeps quite far apart from the family at night on the other side of the lake, but usually, though not always, join the parents to take care of the little ones in the day.

I guess I will continue to observe the family and hopefully nothing awful happens again :frown:

Physics news on Phys.org
:cry: You must take care of them and keep us posted on their progress!

awww poor moorhen... but this is a nice thread! I like the photos!
and I like moorhen - they are so devoted to the chicks! when we go duck-feeding, the moorhen always save the bread in their mouths for their chicks, unlike the greedy ducks...

nucleargirl said:
and I like moorhen - they are so devoted to the chicks! when we go duck-feeding, the moorhen always save the bread in their mouths for their chicks, unlike the greedy ducks...

Ducks are big jerks. Research their behavior and prepare to be shocked.

These are really great pictures, thanks for posting them.

Great thread, yenchin!

You're right, life is so hard for wild animals. Always wanting food and in real danger of being someone else's food. It breaks my heart to see hurt animals :cry:.

The Moorhen family is doing fine today, though one of the parents is still limping (I still don't know how to identify the male or female). It doesn't appear to have too much difficulty to move around to find food, so as long as there is no bad infection sets in I think it will survive.

Moorhen is indeed devote to their chicks. Indeed it surprises me to learn that the juveniles will often assist in taking care of the little ones, including sheltering them and feeding them. This is quite rare among birds as far as I know.

By the way the Drunken Moon Lake is a rich habitat for many species of birds, the ones that are easy to spot are:
birdy3.jpg

Malayan Night Heron.
yelu2.jpg

Black-crowned Night Heron
goose.jpg

This goose is usually caged by the caretaker. It is very rare to see it outside.
DSCN1892.jpg

Black swan.
DSCN1168-1.jpg

White ducks.

Wow, so many beautiful birds!

Last edited:
Wonderful birds.

Both the Malayan Night Heron and Black-crowned Night Heron are medium herons, and similar to Bitterns.

In our area, we see Great Blue and Great Grey Herons, in addition to a variety of ducks and geese. Occassionally we see kingfishers and cormorants, which are interesting to watch.

I am here to report that the injured adult (I am pretty sure it's male now...) is now walking well and no longer limping around. The dangling toe had finally broke off, so now it lost a toe...But on the other hand yesterday late evening there was a fight with a Black-crowned Night Heron and one of the 3 remaining chicks had injured its feet :frown:. Or maybe it got hurt earlier, but I am not sure. The chick is hiding in the bush today so I couldn't take a proper look as to how bad the injury is.

yenchin said:
I am here to report that the injured adult (I am pretty sure it's male now...) is now walking well and no longer limping around. The dangling toe had finally broke off, so now it lost a toe...But on the other hand yesterday late evening there was a fight with a Black-crowned Night Heron and one of the 3 remaining chicks had injured its feet :frown:. Or maybe it got hurt earlier, but I am not sure. The chick is hiding in the bush today so I couldn't take a proper look as to how bad the injury is.
I hope it gets better, thanks for the update on the other's toe. Glad he seems ok, but sad he lost it. I wonder what happened?

Is that lake polluted? It looks filthy.

pergradus said:
Looks like any other duck pond.

pergradus said:

It's not polluted by humans, just lots of organic material...:yuck: Time to update with photos again.

adult1.jpg

The mother of the Moorhen family.

bird1.jpg

The chicks are growing stronger and bigger now :-)

injury2.jpg

This is the chick with severe leg injury, you can see the redness of exposed flesh. :cry: The juvenile bird was taking care of it when the parents were away to find food with the other two chicks.

heron-1.jpg

It seems that the heron is indeed quite a threat. I suspect the injury is due to heron attack.
When this guy flew near, the adults or juvenile will be on high alert and make alarming sound to warn the chicks.

heronalert.jpg

The juvenile bird rushed to stand between the injured chick and the heron.

heronalert2.jpg

Another heron contemplating something...

duck.jpg

I don't like bad birds!

That is a very brave juvenile. :cool: Awww, look at all of the baby fluffers. :!)

the heron looks mean as well - like a bandit!

Run at the heron whenever you see it. It will fear you and never come back. Unlike crows, of which will remember your face.

nucleargirl said:

Ducks are the sheer definition of arrogance.

Dominance said:
Run at the heron whenever you see it. It will fear you and never come back. Unlike crows, of which will remember your face.

Ducks are the sheer definition of arrogance.

Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmZBMuZ6vE" Crazy story at 4:05. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
yenchin said:
Reminds me of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmZBMuZ6vE" Crazy story at 4:05. :biggrin:

Haha, I love this video. :approve:

One of the videos that cemented my love for crows. Everyone hates them around here, but they're brilliant birds and I love their look. Underrated birds.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's time to update again.

1. Unfortunately, the injured little bird has lost *all* toes on one of its legs, as you can see from this picture:
leggone2.jpg

But it is nevertheless living strong. The juvenile pays great deal of attention to the injured sibling, here's a pic where the juvenile was cleaning something stuck onto its face.
injured.jpg

2. The parents are starting to get busy again, taking turns to go back to their nest which they did not visit for quite some time now having been busy taking care of the chicks. I am guessing they are planning to have more kids :biggrin: Yes, that pagoda-like shelter in the middle of the lake is where their nest is. No one can reach it on foot, so pretty safe from humans and other land animals.
nicehome.jpg

3. There is also a little duck.
duckling1.jpg

Unlike the moorhen, the duck mum is pretty careless, stepping on its own baby multiple times accidentally and even kicked it down the lake. Not to mention the mum got into a fight in front of the baby with a neighbor! What is she teaching her young! :eek:
duckfight2.jpg

4. And here's a Grey Treepie.
DSCN2586.jpg

5. And this, I guess, is a juvenile of Malayan night heron?
DSCN2567.jpg

Yenchin, your pictures become so real to me with your comments, I'm looking forward for more.

I am still sad that the baby lost it's foot.

Good photos and comments.

That treepie pic is especially nice.

awww thanks for the new pics! Its good to see the chicks growing up, and so nice to see the other birds too!

As seen from my office few days ago...
DSCN2672.jpg

Moments later: heavy rain and strong wind.
DSCN2675.jpg

The rain came and went for days, and the lake is slightly overflood, with water level rising into the bushes where the Moorhen family hangs out. I wasn't too worried about the chicks, but I guess the nest (with new eggs?) might suffer some damages in the wind, not too sure about it because it's in the middle of the lake and I can't see clearly what's going on there.
brothers.jpg

The three chicks got onto a floating structure to stay dry from the flood.
DSCN2718.jpg

One the the chicks (middle left) with the juvenile (middle right). They are almost the same size now [small picture is for comparison of their previous size, though I have no idea whether it's the same chick]. So the chicks are becoming juveniles very soon. :-)
ducky2.jpg

Duck mum watches as its baby explores the neighborhood.

Wow, that was quite a storm! Keep the pictures coming, I love watching them grow up. :smile:

1. What is the purpose of studying the common moorhen at University Lake?

The purpose of studying the common moorhen at University Lake is to gain a better understanding of their behavior, habitat, and overall population health in this specific environment. This information can also be used to inform conservation efforts and management strategies for the species.

2. How do you conduct research on the common moorhen?

Research on the common moorhen at University Lake involves a combination of field observations, data collection, and analysis. This may include tracking their movements, monitoring nesting and breeding behavior, and collecting fecal samples for genetic analysis.

3. What are the biggest challenges faced by common moorhens at University Lake?

The biggest challenges faced by common moorhens at University Lake include competition for resources from other bird species, predation from larger animals, and human disturbances such as pollution and habitat destruction.

4. How can the findings from this study be applied to other common moorhen populations?

The findings from this study can be used to inform conservation efforts and management strategies for common moorhens in other populations. By understanding the behavior and needs of these birds in a specific environment, we can better protect and support their populations in other areas.

5. What are some potential future research directions for this study?

Potential future research directions for this study may include investigating the impact of climate change on the common moorhen population at University Lake, studying their interactions with other species in the ecosystem, and further exploring the genetic diversity within the population.