I'm a homesteader/prepper ask me anything

• Thread starter Ftheog
  • Start date
In summary: So if you're living in a state where homesteading is not allowed, or you can't because of zoning regulations, you would need to live off the land or find someone who will let you homestead their land.
Ftheog
this is a offshoot of a thread on the debunking forum that was frozen(bows head in silence).

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=510194"

I didn't use the term survivalist in the title because I personally despise it. People look at survivalists as being pessimistic and hoping for the world to end. That is totally the opposite of the truth. We want to thrive and prosper and see our neighbors and communities thrive no matter what the challenge. Yes there are some people of the mindset that are on the fringe as the same in all groups. For the record I was contacted by the producers for the show about being on it and declined for the fact that I felt it would shed a bad light on our group. Seems my fears were realized. *disclaimer* I am not talking for everyone in the homesteading/prepper/survivalist lifestyle. I am just giving my experience and opinion

anywho, evo said I could make a thread here as long as it doesn't deal with doomsday scenarios, so that's a no no. I have to go feed and water the animals, I'll check back on this later, peace

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tell us what you've done.

This could be an interesting thread. :smile:

What events are you preparing for, and what did you do to prepare for them?
Are there other preppers in your area that you cooperate with? (I guess it could be difficult doing all of this things alone)
How much of your monthly budget goes to prepping? Do you have much left?

I'm genuinly interested and I would love to learn more about this.

Is this a mostly American thing? micro do people in your country have preppers, that are not Americans, or from an American based group?

I know that turbo says he can't find me a man unless I can bring down a moose, dress it in the field, carry everything back to his house fresh and clean, then chop and stack 2 cords of wood, and I need an outboard motor. I already have the other necessary skills to be a real woman including chopping and stacking wood. I don't have the motor though.

I think the moose would look cute dressed in a camouflage outfit.

Last edited:
one thing I'm curious about, since you say homesteader instead of survivalist, is what your typical living expenses look like. how frugal are you? many of the people on NatGeo seemed to be of the, shall we say, "hobbyist" variety. homesteading is something I've typically associated with people making the most of sweat equity, and not so much the people with more money than they really need and are just bored.

Evo said:
Is this a mostly American thing? micro do people in your country have preppers, that are not Americans, or from an American based group?

While searching on the internet I did encounter some "prepping in Europe" sites. But somehow, I think it's more popular in America. Not sure why that is, probably because there are less disasters here (no hurricane, tornadoes, blizzards,etc.) The emergency services also seem to be better structured, schandals like Katrina don't seem to happen here).

Preppers have also assured that this is not about fear. But maybe prepping is popular in america because the media instill more fear in people then European media?? Just a thought.

Another question for the OP: what knowledge do you have? Do you try to learn a lot?
For example, if I were a prepper, I would immediately buy some books on medicine and try to learn from them. I think knowing some first aid should not be enough...

Also, how many people know that you're a prepper? Do you keep it secret because you're scared of their reaction, or do you talk openly about it?

So you have a family, and how do they think about it? Did you have to convince them or did they think the same way you do?

Evo said:
I already have the other necessary skills to be a real woman including chopping and stacking wood.

I seem to remember something about a chainsaw, though... :wink:

Proton Soup said:
one thing I'm curious about, since you say homesteader instead of survivalist, is what your typical living expenses look like. how frugal are you? many of the people on NatGeo seemed to be of the, shall we say, "hobbyist" variety. homesteading is something I've typically associated with people making the most of sweat equity, and not so much the people with more money than they really need and are just bored.
I've always homesteaded my house in states that allowed it because of the tax break and/or no one can put a lien on your home. You cannot homestead in all states. Not the same as homesteading is squatting land. If someone owns land and does not make improvements, and you get on their land and make improvements and aren't discovered for a period of time (around 2 years usually), you can claim the part of land you have improved. Obviously there are a lot of *gotchas* on this one, you have to do research before you attempt to squat.

berkeman said:
I seem to remember something about a chainsaw, though... :wink:
No, turbo decided I could not be allowed near a chainsaw, for obvious reasons. I believe MIH is allowed a chainsaw. :frown:

Evo said:
Tell us what you've done.

to broad of a question, I could write a book based off that ;)

Last edited:
Ftheog said:
to broad of a question, I could right a book based off that ;)
That's what people tell me.

So start with how you got into this and go from there.

Evo said:
I've always homesteaded my house in states that allowed it because of the tax break and/or no one can put a lien on your home. You cannot homestead in all states. Not the same as homesteading is squatting land. If someone owns land and does not make improvements, and you get on their land and make improvements and aren't discovered for a period of time (around 2 years usually), you can claim the part of land you have improved. Obviously there are a lot of *gotchas* on this one, you have to do research before you attempt to squat.

yeah, but were you into this: http://www.countrysidemag.com/

every own any Firefox books, or stuff like that?

I'm a pepper. I didn't know we were into homesteading now as a group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPN3UKQM-U

micromass said:
This could be an interesting thread. :smile:

What events are you preparing for, and what did you do to prepare for them?
Are there other preppers in your area that you cooperate with? (I guess it could be difficult doing all of this things alone)
How much of your monthly budget goes to prepping? Do you have much left?

I'm genuinly interested and I would love to learn more about this.

the biggest concern I see is socio-economic collapse(is that ok evo)

I know a lot of people in the immediate area of the same mindset, most are former military or LEO

prepping is my families lifestyle, I concur with a couple of points on the show, I don't golf ect. I prefer to spend time in my garden, go to the shooting range, spend time with my animals ect.

Evo said:

Good question! How did you come to the decision to start prepping, and why?

Evo said:
Is this a mostly American thing?

no, I have talked with people worldwide, it's just a different label depending on where you live

Evo said:
No, turbo decided I could not be allowed near a chainsaw, for obvious reasons. I believe MIH is allowed a chainsaw. :frown:
MIH is allowed access to a powerful 2-stroke chain-saw. Evo is not! There are some strict rules. The hooper has exhibited some coordination and training. The Evo is an accident waiting to happen!

Proton Soup said:

my wife and I built a Earth bermed passive solar home with us doing about 85-90 percent of the work. We use a half cord of wood a year to heat it, and about 10 gallons of propane a month for the dryer, stove and on demand hot water heater. We cashed out our meager retirement and owe nothing on the house. Our household expenses are minimal.

Last edited:
Ftheog said:
the biggest concern I see is socio-economic collapse(is that ok evo)
Ok, we'll pretend that's a concern that would cause whatever it is you think it would cause that and would mean that there would be no more functioning world, and just go from there.

I know a lot of people in the immediate area of the same mindset, most are former military or LEO
We have a lot of former military and gun people here, they've never admitted to being preppers, maybe we'll find out.

prepping is my families lifestyle, I concur with a couple of points on the show, I don't golf ect. I prefer to spend time in my garden, go to the shooting range, spend time with my animals ect.
That sounds like us. Except our international members where guns are illegal.

I'm a mini-prepper since I live in earthquake country. Maybe more of a micro-prepper. Maybe just preppish tendencies. I guess I'm a prepper AND a Pepper, with a stack of Diet DP 12-packs in the kitchen corner.

I don't have a chainsaw, but I do have a crossbow. When civilization falls apart there will still be good eatin' Chez MIH, if you like baked beans and squirrel-on-a-stick.

turbo-1 said:
MIH is allowed access to a powerful 2-stroke chain-saw. Evo is not! There are some strict rules. The hooper has exhibited some coordination and training. The Evo is an accident waiting to happen!
I know, I'm surprised that you allow me my little ax. I can use a hand saw with no problem.

Math Is Hard said:
I'm a mini-prepper since I live in earthquake country. Maybe more of a micro-prepper. Maybe just preppish tendencies. I guess I'm a prepper AND a Pepper, with a stack of Diet DP 12-packs in the kitchen corner.

I don't have a chainsaw, but I do have a crossbow. When civilization falls apart there will still be good eatin' Chez MIH, if you like baked beans and squirrel-on-a-stick.
We could eat crow?

micromass said:
While searching on the internet I did encounter some "prepping in Europe" sites. But somehow, I think it's more popular in America. Not sure why that is, probably because there are less disasters here (no hurricane, tornadoes, blizzards,etc.) The emergency services also seem to be better structured, schandals like Katrina don't seem to happen here).

Preppers have also assured that this is not about fear. But maybe prepping is popular in america because the media instill more fear in people then European media?? Just a thought.

Another question for the OP: what knowledge do you have? Do you try to learn a lot?
For example, if I were a prepper, I would immediately buy some books on medicine and try to learn from them. I think knowing some first aid should not be enough...

actually one of my heroes is dick strawbridge, he has the tv show it's not easy being green, what him and I do are very similiar, he's labeled as eco friendly, while I'm labeled as nutjob survivalist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ev1SIVdppg&feature=related

actually a lot of the reason people get into this mindset is to get to a more simpler way of life. My grandparents and parents both canned. had a garden, raised animals. Were they preppers? or just living? The reason why those generations did what they did was they were children of the depression, they knew hard times could easily be right around the corner. That doesn't mean supernova, yellowstone erupting ect. That's something as simple as losing a job or spouse. We will all have our own personal shtf moment, it just won't be televised.

I am a avid reader and have a extensive library in print format as well as digital, my mind constantly works.

Evo said:
We could eat crow?

Now wait a minute... those are my minions. :frown:

Evo said:
I know, I'm surprised that you allow me my little ax. I can use a hand saw with no problem.
I can allow you access to a small cross-cut bow-saw, but that's the limit. You'll have to stop cutting when you feel the pain involved in severing your own foot.

Math Is Hard said:
Now wait a minute... those are my minions. :frown:
I have birds, too. Chickadees love to land on me and wait (in turns sometime) for sunflower seeds. They are easy. The tufted titmouse individuals that flock with the 'dees are more stand-offish, though I wish they weren't. They are such cute little birds! They have such cute little hats.

micromass said:
Also, how many people know that you're a prepper? Do you keep it secret because you're scared of their reaction, or do you talk openly about it?

So you have a family, and how do they think about it? Did you have to convince them or did they think the same way you do?

I don't walk around with a billboard, but I try and show as many people as I can what we are doing. One of the complaints from our side of the table on the show was opsec. My position is knowledge has to start somewhere. I figure if I can change one persons perspective, it was worth it. Funny thing, when we were building our house, when I would show people, I would get one of two reactions. people that got it, or people thought I was insane. The people that got it were all over 50 and remembered times, the other group was all 40 and under and knew nothing more than instant gratification and the buy it now on credit group.

my wife is totally onboard, she has the same concerns as me. my daughter thought I was crazy, we didn't push anything on her, she just couldn't understand why we had a huge pantry and her friends didn't. Until the swine flu scare 2 years ago. We had outbreaks in the surrounding school districts and her school sent home papers about what to do in case of a outbreak, it listed 2 weeks of food, water supply ect. She came home, looked at the pantry and said, I guess we are all set, I said yep, she said, I'll never question you again dad

It sounds like we do what you do, but because we think it's an enjoyable normal lifestyle, we like to be self sufficient, like to see the results of our labors, not that we're afraid of anything.

This is our natural choice. We choose to be informed and self sufficient. We don't do it because we fear a doomsday scenario.

That's where I see a difference. If things got bad, we'd shared and help anyone we could, not kill them.

Our choices aren't driven by fear.

Evo said:

I grew up on our family farm and somehow got away from it. My wife had surgery on her shoulder in the mid 90's and I went and bought a book on log homes to read during it. In the back was a small section on cordwood building, it listed rob roy in new york as a proponent on that. I called information, got his number and called him. We talked about a hour and he said he had a book on the method and also had one on underground homes, I ordered both, read them from front to back for 2 years straight planning our home. When my daughter was born in 97, We were living outside philly and didn't want to raise her in a urban setting, so it grew from there

Proton Soup said:
yeah, but were you into this: http://www.countrysidemag.com/

every own any Firefox books, or stuff like that?

I have all originals of firefox as well digital copies, I use to read mother Earth news, but it has become to politicized and bogged down by advertisers, I prefer backwoodshome today

Ivan Seeking said:
I'm a pepper. I didn't know we were into homesteading now as a group.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQPN3UKQM-U

I love dr prepper!

Don't let Ivan fool you, he lives in the wilds and has more guns and ammo than most military bases.

micromass said:
Good question! How did you come to the decision to start prepping, and why?

we always wanted to get to a more sustainable way of life, but we had a big push in 2005, at the time, my wife and I had some investments in apt buildings. We refinanced one and since we were self employed, the mortgage broker said we would go stated income. I asked him what that was. He responded, just tell me how much you make. My wife and I looked at him and said how many people are doing this, he responded, everyone. We knew at that point things were going to get rough

Ftheog said:
I grew up on our family farm and somehow got away from it. My wife had surgery on her shoulder in the mid 90's and I went and bought a book on log homes to read during it. In the back was a small section on cordwood building, it listed rob roy in new york as a proponent on that. I called information, got his number and called him. We talked about a hour and he said he had a book on the method and also had one on underground homes, I ordered both, read them from front to back for 2 years straight planning our home. When my daughter was born in 97, We were living outside philly and didn't want to raise her in a urban setting, so it grew from there

The way you describe things to me actually implies that you just wanted to be self-sufficient and more in touch with nature. Which is always a good thing. I can understand now why it is more a lifestyle then actually preparing for something bad.

When reading the forums where you came from, I saw some people who I would describe as (excuse me) a bit obsessed with prepping. I read statements like "I like people who prep, it will save me bullets down the road". I don't think such a people are very good advertisement for preppers, it makes you look crazy and obsessed... That's why I really appreciate normal people like you explaining things in a normal non-obsessed manner.

Back