I'm a homesteader/prepper ask me anything

• Thread starter Ftheog
  • Start date
In summary: So if you're living in a state where homesteading is not allowed, or you can't because of zoning regulations, you would need to live off the land or find someone who will let you homestead their land.
Ftheog said:
I don't walk around with a billboard, but I try and show as many people as I can what we are doing. One of the complaints from our side of the table on the show was opsec. My position is knowledge has to start somewhere. I figure if I can change one persons perspective, it was worth it. Funny thing, when we were building our house, when I would show people, I would get one of two reactions. people that got it, or people thought I was insane. The people that got it were all over 50 and remembered times, the other group was all 40 and under and knew nothing more than instant gratification and the buy it now on credit group.

my wife is totally onboard, she has the same concerns as me. my daughter thought I was crazy, we didn't push anything on her, she just couldn't understand why we had a huge pantry and her friends didn't. Until the swine flu scare 2 years ago. We had outbreaks in the surrounding school districts and her school sent home papers about what to do in case of a outbreak, it listed 2 weeks of food, water supply ect. She came home, looked at the pantry and said, I guess we are all set, I said yep, she said, I'll never question you again dad
My wife and I have months of food stored away, both prepared and basic raw foods. We don't do this because we are convinced that horrible things are going to happen to us. We do this because that's how our families prepared for their own futures, year-to-year. When your parents have been through the great depression, they instill some attitudes in you that tend to stick. My grandmother had a HUGE pantry loaded with staples, and the French-Canadian great-aunts on my mother's side were just as fanatical about keeping staples on-hand. If you asked any of them for a few pounds of sugar, salt, a quart or two of vinegar, molasses, etc, they would look at you like you were asking if they had a penny in their pocket. After the great depression came the rationing imposed by the war effort in WWII. Those women weren't going to be restricted from cooking their traditional foods by political pressures.

As I said on another thread, I always have boxes of coarse non-iodized salt around because I like making pickles. My grandmother and great-aunts had LOTS more salt around because they salted down meats and made sauerkraut.

Physics news on Phys.org
Math Is Hard said:
I'm a mini-prepper since I live in earthquake country. Maybe more of a micro-prepper. Maybe just preppish tendencies. I guess I'm a prepper AND a Pepper, with a stack of Diet DP 12-packs in the kitchen corner.

I don't have a chainsaw, but I do have a crossbow. When civilization falls apart there will still be good eatin' Chez MIH, if you like baked beans and squirrel-on-a-stick.

that's the thing, the show glamorized and highlighted what they were looking for, some of the people on the show have come forward and said things were staged. If it's reality tv, why do they need writers? What you need in EQ country is different than what I need in my area, but who has the right to tell us what we need to make us feel safe?

Evo said:
It sounds like we do what you do, but because we think it's an enjoyable normal lifestyle, we like to be self sufficient, like to see the results of our labors, not that we're afraid of anything.

This is our natural choice. We choose to be informed and self sufficient. We don't do it because we fear a doomsday scenario.

That's where I see a difference. If things got bad, we'd shared and help anyone we could, not kill them.

Our choices aren't driven by fear.

my goal is to help the community in time of needs, it's why we planted 20 fruit trees not just 2, it's why we keep adding raise beds each year, a lot of people on this side have the same mindset, but at the end of the day you need to make sure you and your family is taken care of in times of need

Ftheog said:
that's the thing, the show glamorized and highlighted what they were looking for, some of the people on the show have come forward and said things were staged. If it's reality tv, why do they need writers? What you need in EQ country is different than what I need in my area, but who has the right to tell us what we need to make us feel safe?
I think a major problem with the show is that a lot of it was, we're not sharing! This is ours and anyone that needs anything, we're going to kill them! It's OURS! And then these people have their own youtube videos instructing people on how to arm themselves and be prepared to kill people, not hunt for food, kill humans. They can't blame their websites on the show.

That's why I am giving you the opportunity to say you are not like these people, you don't own guns to kill people that need help.

Think back to the Great Depression, did you see neighbors murdering each other? How about the potato famine in Ireland, they didn't kill each other. During the great famine during the little Ice Age in Europe (14th-15th century), people didn't kill each other. These people all did what little they could to help. They changed their agriculture, they moved. but they didn't become hoarding murderers. I think that is what the average person cannot accept.

Last edited:
micromass said:
The way you describe things to me actually implies that you just wanted to be self-sufficient and more in touch with nature. Which is always a good thing. I can understand now why it is more a lifestyle then actually preparing for something bad.

When reading the forums where you came from, I saw some people who I would describe as (excuse me) a bit obsessed with prepping. I read statements like "I like people who prep, it will save me bullets down the road". I don't think such a people are very good advertisement for preppers, it makes you look crazy and obsessed... That's why I really appreciate normal people like you explaining things in a normal non-obsessed manner.

you also have to realize the media it is on, the internet offers anonymity that we have never had in the history of the world, someone says something 50 years ago, they were right in front of you and you could respond, now it's just words on a screen. There is a lot of people that talk up the truth on the internet to impress people no matter where you are on the intertubes

turbo-1 said:
My wife and I have months of food stored away, both prepared and basic raw foods. We don't do this because we are convinced that horrible things are going to happen to us. We do this because that's how our families prepared for their own futures, year-to-year. When your parents have been through the great depression, they instill some attitudes in you that tend to stick. My grandmother had a HUGE pantry loaded with staples, and the French-Canadian great-aunts on my mother's side were just as fanatical about keeping staples on-hand. If you asked any of them for a few pounds of sugar, salt, a quart or two of vinegar, molasses, etc, they would look at you like you were asking if they had a penny in their pocket. After the great depression came the rationing imposed by the war effort in WWII. Those women weren't going to be restricted from cooking their traditional foods by political pressures.

As I said on another thread, I always have boxes of coarse non-iodized salt around because I like making pickles. My grandmother and great-aunts had LOTS more salt around because they salted down meats and made sauerkraut.

how did we go from this to everything needed now, right at this instant, instant gratification, no one knows how to cook anymore or even where their food comes from it, it's sad

Evo said:
I think a major problem with the show is that a lot of it was, we're not sharing! This is ours and anyone that needs anything, we're going to kill them! It's OURS! And then these people have their own youtube videos instructing people on how to arm themselves and be prepared to kill people, not hunt for food, kill humans. They can't blame their websites on the show.

That's why I am giving you the opportunity to say you are not like these people, you don't own guns to kill people that need help.

Think back to the Great Depression, did you see neighbors murdering each other? How about the potato famine in Ireland, they didn't kill each other. During the great famine during the little Ice Age in Europe (14th-15th century), people didn't kill each other. These people all did what little they could to help. They changed their agriculture, they moved. but they didn't become hoarding murderers. I think that is what the average person cannot accept.

don't get me wrong evo, I own guns, and there is a difference between someone coming for help and someone coming to take, if you have a chance google ferfal, he's a blogger living in argentina and went through the socio-economic collapse there in 2001, he has a lot of first hand experience of how bad it could get

Those are macro (economic) -social problems (unrest after any collapse) to be solved by government and various social organizations.

I am not convinced that ammunition stock solves that problem, on contrary it might worsen the problem.

rootX said:
Those are macroeconomic and social problems (unrest after any collapse) to be solved by government and various social organizations.

I am not convinced that ammunition stock solves that problem, on contrary it might worsen the problem.

we'll agree to disagree

and why the heck is my post count stuck on 31?

People in South America tend to have a different mindset than Americans. If I lived there I'd probably think differently.

Basically, many of the people on this forum live close to the land if possible, just because they enjoy it and for no other reason.

Obviously college kids don't have that option. But those of us that are older and settled prefer to do things for ourselves, share with our neighbors, and help strangers in need, even if it means we have less for ourselves.

When I think back to WWII and all of the people that lost their lives to take in and protect complete strangers, it brings tears to my eyes. I don't know if I would ever have that much courage.

Last edited:
Ftheog said:
and why the heck is my post count stuck on 31?

Posts in general discussion don't count for post count. :frown:

Ftheog said:
we'll agree to disagree

Unless you want to provide some solid evidence behind your arguments. :smile: Otherwise, I am happy not to discuss it further.

Ftheog said:
you also have to realize the media it is on, the internet offers anonymity that we have never had in the history of the world, someone says something 50 years ago, they were right in front of you and you could respond, now it's just words on a screen. There is a lot of people that talk up the truth on the internet to impress people no matter where you are on the intertubes

I understand that perfectly well, but I'm just saying that it doesn't do you good. Let's say I was trying to find more information for preppers because I might become one. I go on that forum and I see statements about killing people because they are in the way. I'd be disgusted and I would leave, and I would think preppers are crazy (which they are most definitely not).

Anyway, another question. I would think that preppers are mostly right-wing in politics. Am I correct on that?

rootX said:
Those are macro (economic) -social problems (unrest after any collapse) to be solved by government and various social organizations.

actually, I'll tell you a quick story. Last summer my wife and daughter were away at her parents. I got off work late and missed deadliest catch(rip phil harris) I decided to stay up till 12:00 to watch the late showing. About half way thru my eyes started getting tired, so I decided to get to bed. I went in the bathroom and started brushing my teeth. At that moment I heard our side buzzer go off, we have a driveway alarm there, because with being a earthen bermed house, we can't see if someone is coming around. I figured it was my father coming home.About 10 seconds later my dog starts going insane, I walk out the bathroom and the front motion light is on but no one is out there. I look in my fathers room and he's sitting there on the computer. I switch the tv over to security cameras and see someone coming towards our front door with a screwdriver in his hand. He was turning towards our front door, when my dog started going nuts, and then ran off into the woods. I called 911. "911 what is your emergency?" I just had a intruder on my property and it looked like they were trying to come in the front door. " Is your property posted sir?" excuse me? " is your property posted sir?" yes, but what the heck does that have to do with anything? "just checking, we'll send someone right out"

The police and govt are not a protective force, they are a responsive force, it is up to us as individuals to make sure our loved ones are taken care of and safe

rootX said:
Unless you want to provide some solid evidence behind your arguments. :smile: Otherwise, I am happy not to discuss it further.

I would, but I have a feeling it would be deleted quick (I'm looking at you evo)

that was a joke, don't ban me

[PLAIN]http://images.sodahead.com/polls/001847503/467500348_come_to_the_dark_side_we_have_cookies_208415_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as living through disasters, I lived in Houston, TX the first half of my life. I lived through a Cat 5 hurricane, my aunt and uncle were visiting and my mother insisted they leave the apartment his job had put them in and stay with us. They had a second floor apartment, after the storm, there was no second floor. We cooked on a tiny grill set on the toilet of the hall bath under a window, we lived in a pine forest and most of it ended up on top of our house.

I've lived through many othjer hurricanes, floods, I had to canoe to a 7-11 to buy formula for my baby. I've been through the blizzard of the century in upstate NY in 1993, only to move to the flood of the century a month later. My youngest was born during a blizzard.

I've had to heat a room with candles during blizzards where electricity and communications where knocked out, I put a couple of bricks in the fireplace and rigged a wire mesh to make a grill so I could cook food for my kids. I was never scared, and I made it a fun time for them. My only worry was that it would warm up and the food in my freezer might go bad. I had enough prepared food to feed an army because I like to buy lots when stuff is on sale, I'm frugal.

Ftheog said:
actually, I'll tell you a quick story. Last summer my wife and daughter were away at her parents. I got off work late and missed deadliest catch(rip phil harris) I decided to stay up till 12:00 to watch the late showing. About half way thru my eyes started getting tired, so I decided to get to bed. I went in the bathroom and started brushing my teeth. At that moment I heard our side buzzer go off, we have a driveway alarm there, because with being a earthen bermed house, we can't see if someone is coming around. I figured it was my father coming home.About 10 seconds later my dog starts going insane, I walk out the bathroom and the front motion light is on but no one is out there. I look in my fathers room and he's sitting there on the computer. I switch the tv over to security cameras and see someone coming towards our front door with a screwdriver in his hand. He was turning towards our front door, when my dog started going nuts, and then ran off into the woods. I called 911. "911 what is your emergency?" I just had a intruder on my property and it looked like they were trying to come in the front door. " Is your property posted sir?" excuse me? " is your property posted sir?" yes, but what the heck does that have to do with anything? "just checking, we'll send someone right out"

The police and govt are not a protective force, they are a responsive force, it is up to us as individuals to make sure our loved ones are taken care of and safe
If you are in an area that draws certain types, and/or it's know that you are a prepper so could have lots of cash, guns, and other valuables stockplied, you would be a target. This is especially true if you are not part of a close knit community where everyone has your back.

micromass said:
I understand that perfectly well, but I'm just saying that it doesn't do you good. Let's say I was trying to find more information for preppers because I might become one. I go on that forum and I see statements about killing people because they are in the way. I'd be disgusted and I would leave, and I would think preppers are crazy (which they are most definitely not).

Anyway, another question. I would think that preppers are mostly right-wing in politics. Am I correct on that?

you are correct on that, there are people on the fringe of all groups, that's why I search out homesteading, animal husbandry, ect. Unfortunately there is a gray area between what I believe and what the hardcore survivalist believes. Don't get me wrong, there are some people like the ones portrayed in the show, but it is unjustified to paint everyone with the same stroke of the brush

micromass said:
I

forgot this part, yes I would agree a lot of preppers are conservative and want a small govt and less intrusion on personal rights and freedoms. I don't get wrapped up in the whole republican versus democrat, they both serve their own interests.

Evo said:
As far as living through disasters, I lived in Houston, TX the first half of my life. I lived through a Cat 5 hurricane, my aunt and uncle were visiting and my mother insisted they leave the apartment his job had put them in and stay with us. They had a second floor apartment, after the storm, there was no second floor. We cooked on a tiny grill set on the toilet of the hall bath under a window, we lived in a pine forest and most of it ended up on top of our house.

I've lived through many othjer hurricanes, floods, I had to canoe to a 7-11 to buy formula for my baby. I've been through the blizzard of the century in upstate NY in 1993, only to move to the flood of the century a month later. My youngest was born during a blizzard.

I've had to heat a room with candles during blizzards where electricity and communications where knocked out, I put a couple of bricks in the fireplace and rigged a wire mesh to make a grill so I could cook food for my kids. I was never scared, and I made it a fun time for them. My only worry was that it would warm up and the food in my freezer might go bad. I had enough prepared food to feed an army because I like to buy lots when stuff is on sale, I'm frugal.

I knew you were a prepper, doth protest to much.

seriously though, I just take it to the next level, I plan for outages for a month or more. We had a ice storm that left us without power for 6 weeks

It's almost time for me to watch the new ridiculous tv reality cooking show. I need soemthing to laugh at. I think they have run out of ideas.

Rock the Block: Chefs must cook with unmarked canned goods when they're dropped off in a neighborhood in Newhall, Cal. Later, they must knock on residents' doors to gather cooking materials, and prepare hot appetizers on the block of a car engine

Thanks ftheog for sharing. I'd like to hear more about your garden, your farm animals, I expect you can and preserve most of your food? Turbo does all of his own, he does not eat processed food. He catches fish in the wild, hunts for wild animals, he lives off the land. He does all of his own butchering and preserving. So, we'd love to hear about what you do.

Myself, I want to have goats and cows and make my own cheese. My grandmother had her own cows, chickens, etc... She lived in an ancient stone lodge in the Alps and cooked on a wood stove. No bathtubs, no showers, you heated water on the stove, then poured some into a basin. No running water, no toilets. I was never happier than when I was there. No tv, no telephone, no means of communication. Just working in the garden, collecting eggs, and helping around the house. I'm an expert egg candler, learned that as soon as I could hold an egg.

Evo said:
If you are in an area that draws certain types, and/or it's know that you are a prepper so could have lots of cash, guns, and other valuables stockplied, you would be a target. This is especially true if you are not part of a close knit community where everyone has your back.

I live in a rural new england town of 3000 people. It's not known what we have, just that we try and live self sustainable and garden and raise animals. We recognized the person, it was the town managers son who has a drug problem and has been arrested numerous times for breaking and entering. Let's be real here, people are getting shot for 10 dollars, you see that in the news all the time.

actually. I got to let the dogs out and put the pigs and chickens up for the night, i'll check back on this later, peace

Ftheog said:
I live in a rural new england town of 3000 people. It's not known what we have, just that we try and live self sustainable and garden and raise animals. We recognized the person, it was the town managers son who has a drug problem and has been arrested numerous times for breaking and entering. Let's be real here, people are getting shot for 10 dollars, you see that in the news all the time.
Is your video not enough to get him arrested for tresspassing? Or because of who's son he is, he's the town menace until something goes wrong.

Deinitely keep a low profile about what you have at home. I'd be more afraid of stupid teenagers and common crooks than any doomsday scenario.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Is your video not enough to get him arrested for tresspassing? Or because of who's son he is, he's the town menace until something goes wrong.

Deinitely keep a low profile about what you have at home. I'd be more afraid of stupid teenagers and common crooks than any doomsday scenario.

unfortunately no, the one spot he came through our property, there was not a posted sign, I'm talking like 40 foot span between signs, so all the police legally could do was give him a no trespass notice. My wife went and picked up signs the next day, we now have one like every 10 feet, sad you have to do that, isn't it? so much for rights of land ownership. So I confronted the 22 year old "kid" and told him for the safety of him and my family, stay off my property. I also communicated that to his father as well.

Evo said:
People in South America tend to have a different mindset than Americans. If I lived there I'd probably think differently.

Basically, many of the people on this forum live close to the land if possible, just because they enjoy it and for no other reason.

Obviously college kids don't have that option. But those of us that are older and settled prefer to do things for ourselves, share with our neighbors, and help strangers in need, even if it means we have less for ourselves.

When I think back to WWII and all of the people that lost their lives to take in and protect complete strangers, it brings tears to my eyes. I don't know if I would ever have that much courage.

true, argentina was more european than american, I'm just using that as a example of what I think a concern might be

wrong one

Last edited:
Ftheog said:
true, argentina was more european than american, I'm just using that as a example of what I think a concern might be
No, we have a member that is european and is currently in Argentina (or is it Venezuela), anyway both are backwards and much, much, much more violent than europe. Europe is less violent than the US.

My wife came up with a truly brilliant strategy when we started talking about disaster scenarios.

I was busy thinking how we would fight the other 4 million people north out of the city and how we would defend our supplies.

She said, forget that. Go 300 yards *South* to the boat. Self-contained mobile house with all the supplies for living - and no traffic!

Any preppers think of a sailboat as the ideal stash?

And tell me that those pigs are decorative. I almost died when the Beekman Boys decided to eat their pet pigs and showed them being shot between the eyes. :cry:

Pigs are intelligent, it would be like shooting a dolphin. :cry:

Of course anything that gets in turbo's way dies of lead poisoning, if you get my drift.

DaveC426913 said:
My wife came up with a truly brilliant strategy when we started talking about disaster scenarios.

I was busy thinking how we would fight the other 4 million people north out of the city and how we would defend our supplies.

She said, forget that. Go 300 yards *South* to the boat. Self-contained mobile house with all the supplies for living - and no traffic!

Any preppers think of a sailboat as the ideal stash?

yep, quite a few, they also make great root cellars!

http://w3.gorge.net/dsines/BoatInAHole.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Evo said:
And tell me that those pigs are decorative. I almost died when the Beekman Boys decided to eat their pet pigs and showed them being shot between the eyes. :cry:

Pigs are intelligent, it would be like shooting a dolphin. :cry:

Of course anything that gets in turbo's way dies of lead poisoning, if you get my drift.

nope, they are going down in the fall, they are great animals, I will miss them

5765501117_e1b47bfcd8_z.jpg

That's nothing, the huge church fortress up the hill from me has helicopters!

Back