Help Needed on Magnetism: Saturation, Coercivity and Energy Stored!

In summary, the author has an idea for a way to demonstrate extra ability in an application to university. He is unsure of the physics behind his idea, and is looking for someone to help him understand it.
Patrick Tew
Urgent Help Needed on Saturation, Coercivity and Energy Stored in a magnetic field!

Hi guys,

I'm applying to university to study Natural Science and the deadline to apply is Friday. In my application it's crucial I demonstrate extra ability and I thought of using a recent idea I had when doing a thought experiment on magnets. But, since I thought of my idea, I have not been able to find the right resources to help me clarify my idea but I need to be sure of the physics so when I write the idea into the personal statement, I haven't said something that simply isn't true or I make a mess of explaining it. I'm desperate for some help on clarifying the physics of my idea, which goes as follows:

If you were to magnetize an object, you would do work to align it's domains. The energy invested would then be a kind of potential energy stored by the magnetic field. If you were then to bring this new magnet (1) to another magnet (2) facing opposite poles the two would repel each other. Increasing the strength of 2's magnetic field would increase the force between 1 and 2 until the force would be so big, it would cause a change to the internal structure of magnet 1, demagnetising it and so releasing the potential energy we invested into 1 to magnetize it in the first place.

Upon follow up of my idea, I thought this could be related/explained by saturation, coercivity and inductance, however having just come out of secondary school it's been hard trying to learn these concepts to understand if what I thought is correct.

Though this may be basic, poorly thought out or down right wrong, any clarification on if what I'm thinking is real physics would be massively appreciated as this could really effect my uni application! Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org

I THINK when you change the direction of the domains the energy isn't stored there, as it is used to overcome friction and othe effects. Most of it would be converted to heat I believe.

1. What is magnetism?

Magnetism is a fundamental force of nature that results from the motion of electric charges. It is the force that causes magnets to attract or repel each other and is responsible for many phenomena, such as the Earth's magnetic field.

2. What is saturation in magnetism?

Saturation in magnetism refers to the point at which a material can no longer be magnetized. This occurs when all of the magnetic domains in the material are aligned in the same direction and there is no room for further alignment.

3. What is coercivity in magnetism?

Coercivity is a measure of a material's resistance to demagnetization. It is the amount of magnetic field required to reduce the material's magnetization to zero. A material with high coercivity is more difficult to demagnetize, while a material with low coercivity is easier to demagnetize.

4. How is energy stored in a magnetic field?

The energy stored in a magnetic field is known as magnetic potential energy. It is stored when a magnetic material becomes magnetized and its magnetic domains are aligned. This energy can be released when the material is demagnetized or when the magnetic field is changed.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding saturation, coercivity, and energy stored in magnetism?

Understanding saturation, coercivity, and energy stored in magnetism is crucial in many practical applications. These include the development of strong permanent magnets for use in motors and generators, the production of magnetic storage devices such as hard drives, and the design of magnetic sensors for various industries. It is also important in the study of Earth's magnetic field and its effects on our planet.