Calculate Compressive Stress: 110N on 1.15cm Radius Cane

• Thread starter SnowOwl18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stress
In summary, the conversation is about a man leaning on a cane with a vertical force of 110.00N. The cane has a narrowest part with a radius of 1.15cm. The question is asking for the maximum compressive stress in the cane, and the person asking for help initially miscalculated it by using pressure instead of stress. They later realized their mistake and corrected it.
SnowOwl18
----A man leans down on a cane with a vertical force of 110.00N. The narrowest part of the cane has a radius of 1.15cm. What is the maximum compressive stress in the cane?----

For this problem I thought I needed to calculate stress, which is P/A . Pressure is the Force/Area...so I did 110N / Pi 0.0115^2 . And then I divided that answer to get the stress, but it was wrong. Can anyone help me figure out what I did wrong? Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Stress is not P/A, it is F/A.

(Note : Stress is a tensor, whose elements are determined from the components of force and area vectors, while pressure is a scalar.)

oh my bad...thanks :)

1. How do you calculate compressive stress?

To calculate compressive stress, you need to divide the applied force by the cross-sectional area of the object or material. This can be expressed using the formula: compressive stress = applied force / cross-sectional area.

2. What is the unit of measurement for compressive stress?

The unit of measurement for compressive stress is typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m2). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

3. How do you convert Newtons to Pascals?

Newtons (N) and Pascals (Pa) are both units of measurement for force. To convert from Newtons to Pascals, you can use the formula: 1 Pa = 1 N/m2 . This means that to convert from Newtons to Pascals, you simply need to divide the number of Newtons by the area in square meters.

4. What is the significance of the radius in calculating compressive stress?

The radius is an important factor in calculating compressive stress because it determines the cross-sectional area of the object or material. The larger the radius, the greater the cross-sectional area, and the lower the compressive stress. Similarly, the smaller the radius, the smaller the cross-sectional area, and the higher the compressive stress.

5. How does compressive stress affect the strength of a material?

Compressive stress can have a significant impact on the strength of a material. It is the amount of stress that a material can withstand before it starts to deform or fail. If the compressive stress is too high, it can cause the material to break or buckle. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate compressive stress to ensure the safety and durability of materials in various applications.