Calculating the energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the energy momentum for the classic Maxwell Lagrangian using a formula and functional derivatives. The confusion lies in differentiating a polynomial function and determining the appropriate component to derive. The conversation concludes with clarifying that Lagrangians are local functions and using the partial derivative operator to evaluate the polynomial at a specific point.
teddd
Hi guys, can you help me with this?

I'm supposed to calculate the energy momentum for the classic Maxwell Lagrangian, [itex]\mathcal{L}=-\frac{1}{4}F^{\mu\nu}F_{\mu\nu}[/itex] , where [itex]F_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu A_\nu-\partial_\nu A_\mu[/itex]
with the well known formula:
[tex]T^{\sigma\rho}=\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta \partial_{\sigma} A_\gamma}\partial^\rho A_\gamma-\mathcal{L}g^{\sigma\rho}[/tex]

The point is that I'm not sure on how should I calculate the [tex]\frac{\delta\mathcal{L}}{\delta\partial_\sigma A_\gamma}\partial^\rho A_\gamma=-\frac{1}{4}\frac{\delta\left[(\partial^\mu A^\nu-\partial^\nu A^\mu)(\partial_\mu A_\nu -\partial_\nu A_\mu)\right]}{\delta\partial_\sigma A_\gamma}\partial^\rho A_\gamma[/tex] term; i cannot figure out on which component should i derive.Can you help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that should be a functional derivative, but to be honest, I have never bothered to study functional derivatives, so maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, if you can interpret it as a partial derivative, then it's easy. You just have to understand what function you're talking partial derivatives of. It's just a polynomial in several variables, and you know how to take partial derivatives of polynomial. The expression [tex]\frac{\partial\mathcal L}{\partial(\partial_\sigma A_\gamma)}[/tex] looks scary, but it's just the nth partial derivative (for some integer n) of the polynomial [itex]\mathcal L[/itex].

Consider this simpler example first:
Fredrik said:
For example, in the case of a single particle in 1 dimension, the Lagrangian [itex]L:\mathbb R^3\rightarrow\mathbb R[/itex] is defined by [tex]L(a,b,c)=\frac{1}{2}mb^2-V(a)[/tex] for all [itex]a,b,c\in\mathbb R[/itex]. [itex]L(q(t),\dot q(t),t)[/itex] is just a number in the range of that function.
The denominator of [tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot q}[/tex] just tells you which partial derivative you're dealing with.
[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial\dot q}=\frac{\partial}{\partial b}\bigg|_{a=q(t),\ b=\dot q(t),\ c=t}L(a,b,c)=(mb)_{a=q(t),\ b=\dot q(t),\ c=t}=m\dot q(t)[/tex]
But maybe you knew all this already. I just explained the part that confuses everyone at first. I realize now that this is a bit tricky even if you know this.

It is a partial derivative there, don't use the delta, that symbol should stand for the functional (Ga^teaux derivative). So the partial derivative obeys the product law. Start differentiating from the left.

Well, that is a functional derivative, being [itex]\partial_\mu \phi[/itex] a function!

teddd said:
Well, that is a functional derivative, being [itex]\partial_\mu \phi[/itex] a function!

Lagrangians are local functions not functionals. So, you are dealing with partial derivatives. Cast the em Lagrangian in the form
[tex]
\mathcal{L}= - \frac{1}{2} \eta^{\rho \sigma} \eta^{\mu \nu}( \partial_{\rho}A_{\mu} \partial_{\nu}A_{\sigma} - \partial_{\rho}A_{\mu}\partial_{\sigma}A_{\nu}).
[/tex]
Now use
[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial ( \partial_{\lambda}A_{\tau})} \left( \partial_{\alpha}A_{\beta}\right) = \delta^{\lambda}_{\alpha}\delta^{\tau}_{\beta}.
[/tex]

Sam

teddd said:
You need to look at what I said about how Lagrangians are polynomials. In the simple example I posted, [itex]\dot q[/itex] is a function but [itex]\partial/\partial \dot q[/itex] is just the partial derivative operator with respect to the second variable, and the function L that it's supposed to be applied to, is just a polynomial in 3 variables. You might as well write it as [itex]D_2[/itex], or [itex]D_2|_{(q(t),\ \dot q(t),\ t)}[/itex] to indicate at what point the partial derivative of the polynomial is to be evaluated.

Last edited:

1. What is the energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian?

The energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian is a mathematical quantity that describes the distribution of energy and momentum in an electromagnetic field. It is derived from the Maxwell Lagrangian, which is a mathematical formula that describes the dynamics of electromagnetic fields.

2. How is the energy-momentum tensor calculated for Maxwell Lagrangian?

The energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian is calculated by taking the derivative of the Lagrangian with respect to the components of the electromagnetic field. This derivative is then multiplied by the inverse of the metric tensor to obtain the energy-momentum tensor.

3. What is the significance of the energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian?

The energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian is significant because it provides a way to describe the energy and momentum of an electromagnetic field. It is a fundamental quantity in the study of electromagnetism and is used to understand the behavior of electromagnetic fields in various physical systems.

4. Can the energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian be used to calculate the stress-energy tensor?

Yes, the energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian can be used to calculate the stress-energy tensor. This is because the stress-energy tensor is closely related to the energy-momentum tensor, and in the case of Maxwell Lagrangian, they are equivalent.

5. How does the energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian relate to conservation laws?

The energy-momentum tensor for Maxwell Lagrangian is a conserved quantity, meaning that its value remains constant over time. This is due to the fact that the Maxwell Lagrangian obeys the principle of least action, which leads to the conservation of energy and momentum. Therefore, the energy-momentum tensor plays a crucial role in describing and understanding conservation laws in electromagnetism.