What typical voltages are induced from a typical magnet (50-75 gauss)

In summary, the conversation is about using a millivoltmeter to measure voltages induced by a ceramic magnet brushing against a conductor. The person is looking for advice on what voltage ranges will be required and what read-rate the meter should have, as well as any recommended models and sources for this type of experiment. They also mention using Faraday's Law and getting confused with the calculations. The summary concludes with a calculation using Faraday's Law to estimate the expected voltage.
drk52
Hi, I'd like to use a millivoltmeter to research voltages induced from a basic ceramic magnet brushing by a conductor. So, I need to buy a millivolt meter. What voltage ranges will be required, and what read-rate should the millivolt meter have (in order for it to register the voltage in a split second brush with the magnet)? Is 1 millivolt a reasonable value to expect?
Any sources (books or online) you know I should check out related to this question?
Also, it would be nice if it would record these voltages (or at least leave it displayed so I could record them). Can you suggest any particular model millivolt meter?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is a "typical magnet"? Field strength is not even a parameter of the electromagnet itself.
Which type of experiment do you plan to perform?

Without these things, it is impossible to give any number.

If you just want to show that a moving magnet can produce an induced emf then you will need a sensitive milliammeter or micro-ammeter. I would suggest an analogue meter so that you can see movement of the pointer. A digital meter might be difficult to interpret.
If you have access to an oscilloscope that should also give some indication and you may be able to store the information.

Thanks for the reply truesearch... astute observation about the analog meter--probably right about that. And yes, I should probably be in the micro amp range to be sure to be sensitive enough. An oscillascope also would be great, but I do not have access to one, saving the data would also be ideal. Glad you were able to have a sense of what I was looking to find out. Thanks.

Thanks mfb for the reply,... by a typical magnet, I mean a permanent, ceramic magnet in the 50-75 gauss range, not an electro-magnet. The experiment I have in mind is to brush the permanent magnet across an insulated conductor (steel or copper) with different orientations of the permanent magnet in relation to the conductor (north-south direction oriented with the conductor--parallel or perpendicular), and record the various results.
I should probably use faraday's law to estimate the voltage, but I get confused when I try to appy it to this situation. I guess the number of turns would be 1. so you'd just have E = d(BA)/dt. B would be the magnetic field strengh, but A is the area? If the wire is straight where the magnet passes by, What area? Isn't the area usually the area of the coil? I guess it should have something to do with the distance of the magnet from the conductor--possibly. I guess B would go from 0 --> 50 gauss (is that the right units to use)? So, again, any help you can be regarding what range the voltmeter should be in, or possibly I should be observing the amps? And an appropriate (and cheap) model to use would be greatly appreciated.

Let's try using Faraday's Law:
[tex] \oint E \space d \ell = V = -N \int n \cdot \frac{dB}{dt}dA [/tex]
N=100 turn coil
A=0.0005 meters2
dB=0.0075 Tesla
dt=0.1 seconds

V = 100 * 0.0005 * 0.0075 /0.1 = 3.75 millivolts

This is a very short pulse.

What typical voltages are induced from a typical magnet (50-75 gauss)?

The exact voltage induced by a magnet depends on several factors such as the strength of the magnet, the distance between the magnet and the conductor, and the speed at which the magnet moves. However, for a typical magnet with a strength of 50-75 gauss, the induced voltage is typically in the range of 0.1-1 volts.

How does the strength of the magnet affect the induced voltage?

The strength of the magnet has a direct impact on the induced voltage. A stronger magnet will induce a higher voltage, while a weaker magnet will induce a lower voltage. This is because a stronger magnet has a larger magnetic field and can exert a greater force on the electrons in the conductor.

Does the distance between the magnet and the conductor affect the induced voltage?

Yes, the distance between the magnet and the conductor plays a significant role in the induced voltage. The closer the magnet is to the conductor, the stronger the magnetic field and the higher the induced voltage. As the distance increases, the magnetic field weakens, resulting in a lower induced voltage.

How does the speed of the magnet affect the induced voltage?

The speed of the magnet also has a direct impact on the induced voltage. A faster-moving magnet will induce a higher voltage, while a slower-moving magnet will induce a lower voltage. This is because a faster-moving magnet can cut through the magnetic field lines at a higher rate, resulting in a larger change in magnetic flux and a higher induced voltage.

Can the induced voltage be increased by using a stronger magnet?

Yes, the induced voltage can be increased by using a stronger magnet. However, there is a limit to how much the induced voltage can be increased by simply using a stronger magnet. Other factors such as the distance between the magnet and the conductor and the speed of the magnet also play a role in the induced voltage. Additionally, using a significantly stronger magnet may also result in other unwanted effects such as heating of the conductor or damaging sensitive electronic components.