Accoustic wave propagation and effects in a tube

In summary, the muffler is functioning as designed, but is too quiet. You could add a third outlet to increase the sound, or use a glass pack to produce the desired effect.
allblowdup
This is my first post and I'll admit I probably don't even know enough to be dangerous. Any how what I have is a a 3' long 6" dia tube that is functioning as a muffler for a boat. It has two 4" dia inlets mounted perpandicular to the length of the tube at 28" on center and two 4" oulets mounted perpendicular to the length of the tube at 12" on center on the opposite side. It is a v8 engine and from I can tell the sound waves that come into the muffler design end up being 180deg apart. The problem is a weird one in that the muffler is to quiet as some exhaust note is preferrable.

If the waves are colliding in the middle of the 3' long tube could I just extend one end of the tube to effectively un balance the wave activity? If so how far would I need to go. Like I said I am not knowledgeable with this at all but there must be a reason for the sound cancelation. I do know that if I was to move the outlets closer together the exhaust note is increased. Unfortionaly I cannot in this case. I can add a third outlet in the middle though.

Mark

Physics news on Phys.org
To produce almost a similar effect to lengthening the tube you could stuff one end with dense non-flammable material like steel wool (temporarily while you carefully monitor the situation). But since the material would be porous you'll also get a dampening of the sound but with some reduction of the high frequencies compared with the low frequencies. (That's probably what you're looking for, a low frequency growl)

I think some after market car mufflers used fiberglass in sections of the mufflers to produce that kind of dampening - "glass packs".

That is correct. In this application the noise is already to quiet. With this tube muffler could it act as a standing wave tube and for some unknown reason I have got the outlets positioned where the nodes would be?

Attachments

• ex tube.jpg
    ex tube.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 464

1. What is acoustic wave propagation in a tube?

Acoustic wave propagation in a tube refers to the movement of sound waves through a confined space, such as a tube or pipe. This can occur through various mediums, including air, water, or other gases or liquids.

2. How do acoustic waves travel through a tube?

Acoustic waves travel through a tube by vibrating the molecules of the medium they are traveling through. These vibrations create a pressure wave that moves through the tube, carrying the sound energy with it.

3. What factors affect acoustic wave propagation in a tube?

Several factors can affect acoustic wave propagation in a tube, including the properties of the medium, such as its density and temperature, as well as the geometry and material of the tube. Additionally, the frequency and intensity of the sound waves can also impact their propagation.

4. What are the effects of acoustic wave propagation in a tube?

The effects of acoustic wave propagation in a tube can include changes in the speed and direction of the waves, as well as the amplification or attenuation of the sound. The shape and material of the tube can also impact the resonance and reverberation of the sound waves.

5. How is acoustic wave propagation in a tube used in scientific research?

Acoustic wave propagation in a tube is used in a variety of scientific research, including studying the behavior of sound waves in different mediums, developing new technologies for sound amplification and noise reduction, and understanding the effects of sound on biological and environmental systems.