Calculating the Cost of Climbing Stairs: $4.75?

• Thread starter extreme
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the energy consumption and cost for climbing a set of stairs for one hour. The individual used 165 watts of power for 10 seconds, resulting in a total of 0.15 kilowatt-hours, worth 1.2 cents. However, if the individual had converted joules to kilowatt-hours, the total cost would be $4.75. The conversation also considers the possibility of forgetting some aspect of the problem, leading to a potential answer of $13 and 20 cents.
extreme
I used 165 watts to climb a set of stairs 3m high for 10s(550n*3m/10s). My electric company supplies 1kw for 1hr for 8 cents. If I climbed those stairs for 1 hour how much money would it be worth? I multiplied 165 by 360 divided by 1000 to get 59.4kw's. If I multiply 59.4 by .08 I get $4.75. Did I forget something?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since the problem does not specify the energy consumed for getting down a ladder (it can't be equal to the one for climbing)...I'd say that my answer is 13$ and 20ç.

Daniel.

I don't understand what you mean when you say "I used 165 watts to climb a set of stairs 3m high for 10s". A "watt" is a measure of power: energy per second. You can't 'use' a watt in the same way you would 'use' a Joule (or, for that matter, a "watt-second" or "kilowatt-hour").

If you mean that you averaged 165 watts of power output for all the 10 seconds, then you produced 1650 "watt-seconds"= 0.00041666.. kilowat-hours. Working at that for a full hour, 360 of the 10 second units, you would have produced 0.15 kilowatt-hour, worth, at the rate you give, 1.2 cents.

Thank's HallsofIvy! I should have converted joules to kwh's.

1. How is the cost of climbing stairs calculated?

The cost of climbing stairs is typically calculated by multiplying the price per step by the total number of steps. In this case, the cost would be $4.75 for every step climbed.

2. What factors affect the cost of climbing stairs?

The cost of climbing stairs can be affected by multiple factors, including the type of stairs (e.g. straight vs. spiral), the height of the stairs, and the location (e.g. indoor vs. outdoor).

3. Why is the cost of climbing stairs important to calculate?

Calculating the cost of climbing stairs can help individuals or companies budget for construction or renovation projects, as well as determine the most cost-effective option for a specific location or type of stairs.

4. Is $4.75 a standard price for climbing stairs?

No, the cost of climbing stairs can vary greatly depending on the factors mentioned above. $4.75 may be a reasonable estimate for a certain set of stairs, but it is not a standard price.

5. Can the cost of climbing stairs be reduced?

Yes, the cost of climbing stairs can be reduced by adjusting the factors that affect it, such as using a different type of stairs or choosing a different location for construction.